Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My denon 2808 has a 9 band eq with xt. One of my buddies has a Integra and that has a 15 band eq. So what is the 3008?? I was thinking of upgrading for the xt32. thanks rich

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
My denon 2808 has a 9 band eq with xt. One of my buddies has a Integra and that has a 15 band eq. So what is the 3008?? I was thinking of upgrading for the xt32. thanks rich
Audyssey is completely different from the user-adjustable EQ. You can only use one or the other (obviously most preferable is Audyssey) - so if you're thinking of upgrading for the xt32 it's irrelevent how many bands the EQ is.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So my assumption that a receiver with more bands of eq does a better job with audyssey, is wrong. Does the new xt32 do more with the speakers (I know it does more with the sub) than xt?? I ask because I'm interested less about the sub and more about the speakers. I feel like audyssey makes my klipsch's a little brite, I like it better with audyssey on than off, but I assume that they pick a target goal (some kind of eq curve) and I was wander if they have tweeked it a little. One of my friends called audyssey a while back because he was also having trouble and the rep told him that audyssey has trouble with super efficient speakers. I'm trying to figure out if its worth switching from my denon 2808 to the Onkyo TX-NR3008. thanks rich

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
xt32 has 32x the resolution of regular xt: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multeq.html#multeq-solutions

The problem with super efficient speakers is in the implementation of audyssey into AVRs. Audyssey sets the speaker level so that at 0db gain on your AVR, 75db are produced at the listening position. If an AVR only allows 12db of trim, yet a super efficient speaker mated with a high power amp in a small room produced 88db with no trim, Audyssey is going to be 1db off, throwing off their Dynamix EQ and possibly speaker level matching, depending on your other speakers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what does this mean in real world..... I can see that it is more powerfull but how powerfull does it need to be?? If xt is fixing most of the big problems now....how much more does it need to do before your splitting hairs??
xt32...... satalites 512x ---- subwooder 512x
xt...... satalites 16x--- subwoofer 128x

I feel like (in the eqing process) as xt is correcting my speakers it flattens out a few peaks but also boosts the higher end a little bit. Kind of like if you had a 8DB peak @ 32hz and a 5DB dip @25 you would drop the 32hz 8DB and boost the 25HZ ever so slight 2-3DB to get it flat.

Should I assume that xt32 is going to sound completely diff than the xt, or will it be so close that I won't tell the diff.

·
Registered
348 Posts
wow, the Integra had 15 bands??? Interesting, I just posted about my EQ within my Yamaha and its 7 band GEQ. OP, I think its a valid question and have thought the same. My next rec purchase will be an Onkyo so this is very interesting. I so dig the Audyssey!!! I do love my YPAO to but always wonder...what if...

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
So what does this mean in real world..... I can see that it is more powerfull but how powerfull does it need to be?? If xt is fixing most of the big problems now....how much more does it need to do before your splitting hairs??
xt32...... satalites 512x ---- subwooder 512x
xt...... satalites 16x--- subwoofer 128x

I feel like (in the eqing process) as xt is correcting my speakers it flattens out a few peaks but also boosts the higher end a little bit. Kind of like if you had a 8DB peak @ 32hz and a 5DB dip @25 you would drop the 32hz 8DB and boost the 25HZ ever so slight 2-3DB to get it flat.

Should I assume that xt32 is going to sound completely diff than the xt, or will it be so close that I won't tell the diff.
The goal of Audyssey is to give you flat response from 20-20k. The system that it uses is far more complex than slapping a 15 band graphic EQ on each channel. Think of it as a 512 band Parametric EQ averaged over multiple listening positions, and even that is over simplification.

In the real world, this means that, if your goal is flat/accurate response, Audyssey XT32 will get you as close as possible. If you prefer a "personal taste" response with peaks and nulls at certain frequencies, Audyssey is not for you.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The eq implemented by Audyssey is a PEQ, not a GEQ. A graphic equalizer is fairly basic compared to a parametric eq. A GEQ has pre set frequency centers that you cant really do anything with other than adjust the boost or trim. The PEQ filters used by devices like Audyssey have adjustable frequency centers (to allow them to be targeted at the exact centre of frequency problems) and they have a variable Q as well, which in simple terms means how wide the area they effect is.

A GEQ is really only a basic way to adjust to taste, and the chances are it wont target your in room problems exactly, meaning Audyssey is by far the better tool for sorting out room induced issues.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The goal of Audyssey is to give you flat response from 20-20k. Why doe's my 2808 have 4 options....... I can choose between the following.
1. audyssey
2. audyssey bypass L/R
3. audyssey flat
4. off

When I choose flat..... it seems like it is indeed a flat 20-20 (not as detailed or clear but better than off). I use just plain ol' audyssey which is extremely detailed but far from flat......like they have a target sound they are trying to reach. I feel like they are definately on the right track but perhaps not quite there yet (maybe there target goal doesn't work as well w/horns)......or maybe xt just ran out of filters and/or processing power, or possibly its making compromises that xt32 won't have to make???

Don't get me wrong-----I love audyssey....anybody that doesn't have audyssey or at least a receiver with similar "room correcting" capabilities has no idea what they are missing.......my problem is that if I'm going to upgrade to a new receiver I would like to hear a change, otherwise I'm better off waiting for AUDYSSEY XT150 or what ever the next one is that is truely better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I almost forgot it does give me one more option
5. manual

When I use manual, I can carbon copy audyssey flat and then adjust the 9 band eq.....when I copy "flat" the receiver has allready adjusted the eq bands to acheive a flat sound......that is why I thought audyssey was using the eq....and if that were true it would be better to have more bands.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kinda looks like I should be using flat...... considering I have a "small" "treated" room 23x15.6x9.6, or experimenting around with it anyway....I also can "base curve copy" audyssey flat into manual mode and then mess with the eq and bass ect from there. thanks for the info......rich

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't even remember the last time I tried flat and don't remember why I didn't like it......because it is much much much better than what I was using. I'm astonished at how much clearer everything is and I can actually use the bass and treble adjustments so I can keep the horns in my mains under control (I leave the bass alone and -6 on the treble, this allows me to turn the volume up closer to ref level without reaching for the remote during action scenes because it is a much warmer sound). thanks for the help next time I'm in OR I owe you a drink. LOL

I seriously doubt that the onkyo could sound any better which makes me even more nervous about "upgrading".

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I can't even remember the last time I tried flat and don't remember why I didn't like it......because it is much much much better than what I was using. I'm astonished at how much clearer everything is and I can actually use the bass and treble adjustments so I can keep the horns in my mains under control (I leave the bass alone and -6 on the treble, this allows me to turn the volume up closer to ref level without reaching for the remote during action scenes because it is a much warmer sound). thanks for the help next time I'm in OR I owe you a drink. LOL

I seriously doubt that the onkyo could sound any better which makes me even more nervous about "upgrading".
Have you tried turning on the THX Re-EQ setting? Should help with an edgy high-end: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-eq&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doesn't have it.....that would 1 reason to buy the onkyo.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does the "THX Re-EQ setting" do all the channels or is it just the mains. Last night I was playing around a little switching between my center (rc-7) and one of my rf-7's and I perfer the rf-7. I noticed that It isn't my mains that are getting loud it seems like the center is not as smooth or detailed as the rf-7. So it looks like I have another project :) but I have to spend more money :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.