Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, awaiting delivery of my IXL18s for my LLT sonosubs. I am using a single 3 meter length of sonotube cut in half giving 386litres when using 3 105mm ports tuned to 14Hz. I would appretiate any feedback regarding this modelling, especially tuning frequency and port diameters([email protected]). EP2500 with a BFD1124p will be used with these two subs. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
opps i missed that part, sonotube 22" or 610mm. I have been usings Collos sonosub calculator programme, makes it very easy!

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Your design looks good to me. With your given volume 14hz would be my pick as well. 700 watts drives it to xmax right at 20hz. Port velocity is low and 1st resonance looks good. Two of them should be a wicked combo :devil:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i was tossing up between 14 and 14.5 Hz tuning. I was concerned that port velocity was a little high at about 28m/s. Would you recommend a HP filter at say 12 or 13Hz, to lower port velocity and control cone excursion or do most people find these to be not required?:sneeky:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Port velocity is max a 13 hz, this won't be an issue. With 700 watts input power Xmax isn't exceeded until 12.5 hz, that won't be an issue either. You're good to go in that respect. I haven't run the numbers in Sonosub.exe, but your vent length is 39.5 inches long. Make sure you have enough room from the end of the port to the back of the sub.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Without checking in Collo's sonosub program I'd say you'll probably have at least 4" clearance between the ports and the magnet, which should be fine.:T

Drivers heading up your way now... (don't forget the pictures of the build please).

WARNING! 2 x IXL-18s = heavy. Whenever possible I'd recomend getting a wife, girlfriend or child to lift them (but then, that's just me).

Sam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will be putting a base plate on these sonosubs, is say 5" enough clearance between driver and base plate?

·
Registered
153 Posts
5" should be fine. I didn't bother with an endplate and instead got what I thought were some really nice simple 6" stainless steel legs from Bunnings (4 for each sub), although a wooden baseplate and legs would probably be cheaper. From memory I think the sonosub program will tell you if your gap is too small - I think 4" is probably the minimum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Sam i will check that on sonosub.exe.

Received the IXL18 today - HOLY SMOKES they are monsters!

The boys at work love em, the missus on the other hand:foottap:

She will grow to love them, i hope:heehee:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts