Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know how popular the Behringer EP series amps are, but has anyone tried or looked at the new EPX series? I'm looking to use the EPX3000:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-6482

It has plenty of power for my application, but the thing that turned me on were the RCA inputs so I wont have to fuss with noise problems. Is there a reason I shouldn't use it? Are there known problems with switching power supplies for subwoofer use? I know its got two fixed speed fans but I'm not too concerned with that. I can swap them out for something quieter if I need to down the road.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It costs more money than the EP amp and doesn't really offer more power from what I can tell.

XLR to RCA cables aren't that expensive.:T

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It costs more money than the EP amp and doesn't really offer more power from what I can tell.

XLR to RCA cables aren't that expensive.:T
Cost aside...my cost on the EPX is less then the EP :) Pretty much just concerned with performance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The EPX amps may not offer more power than the EPs, but the offer up a lot less power consumption. That is an issue for those of us in older apartments with a limited number of circuits.

A guy on AVS was going to measure an EPX, but I have no idea when that might happen.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The problem I have with them is the switching-mode power supply. I have not had good luck with switching-mode power supplies when driving a subwoofer.

Matt

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
What kind of problems have you guys had with switched mode amps? I’m using a Carvin with my subs and haven’t had any problems, but that may be because it has way more power than I really need?

Regards,
Wayne

Read more: Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com - Reply to Topic
When I did an REW measurement on the Crown XTI it looked to be down by 12db at 20hz (if memory serves me correctly). The bass also sounded thinner and not as deep as the XLS, which is why I measured it. I really wanted to use the XTI, due to the really slick DSP and lower power draw, but it did not seem to have the power to push the Mal-x. This may just be a bad implantation of the switch mode power supply on Crown's part. I have used other amplifiers with switch mode supply's but the Crown was the only one I measured.

Matt

·
Registered
132 Posts
What kind of problems have you guys had with switched mode amps? I’m using a Carvin with my subs and haven’t had any problems, but that may be because it has way more power than I really need?

Regards,
Wayne
I wrote cheap one doesn't meet their spec or i would not trust them anyway, i own many pro amp all with a nice chunk of iron inside and some are +25 years old and never let me down hurry i need a piece of wood to knock on it :bigsmile:.

I would buy a QSC PLX without hesitation, Peavey, Crest and the hi-end Crown model like their XTI6000,Itech new Macro serie with switching power supply or their venerable CE4000, Carvin i do not have experience with them but look promising.

Some will say but they use less electricity, why not turn them off when done so would not change much on the utility bill, this is like the guy buying a big 4X4 and not having money to put fuel in.

If you are in the market to get amps well up to you at that point but back to cheap vs proven amplifier, when i'm buying stuff even used i always look at the warranty they offer this usually tell you something, i hate buying disposable stuff and now most large sound compagny are selling their older amps for cheap because of the weight so they do save on back problem and fuel.

Just have a look over at avs forum like mdrake wrote the XTI 1000 was tested and did not deliver the goods not only at 20 hz but all across the spectrum IMHO http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13869426#post13869426, on the other hand Peavey did sent their new D class amp that is dirt cheap the IPR1600 to Chuck who did test it and delivered is rated power which is probably the way to go if you are tight on coins and keep in mind you are buying from a compagny that is doing R&D and not reverse engineering :nono: product from other.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The EPX amps may not offer more power than the EPs, but the offer up a lot less power consumption. That is an issue for those of us in older apartments with a limited number of circuits.
To my understanding it's a generic class AB1 amp with a SMPS. Consumption won't be much different if at all from another mains frequency PS amp of the same power. The SMPS is used mainly to save weight for rigs that move.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to the description on Behringer's website, the EPX has a built-in Subwoofer/Satellite crossover. They also show a diagram where the amp is connected to a subwoofer and two satellites. I assume this means the amp is appropriate as a subwoofer amp. To the best of my knowledge, the EP does not have a crossover.

·
Registered
132 Posts
According to the description on Behringer's website, the EPX has a built-in Subwoofer/Satellite crossover. They also show a diagram where the amp is connected to a subwoofer and two satellites. I assume this means the amp is appropriate as a subwoofer amp. To the best of my knowledge, the EP does not have a crossover.
Have you ever seen Behringer saying their product is not good for something or any other brand matter of fact :rofl2:

·
Registered
887 Posts
The Face amps that Kevin Haskins recommends for subs are the same topography as these Berhinger units...but likely much higher quality

·
Registered
790 Posts
There is no manual available for download, but the quickstart guide shows it as a fixed 100Hz and doesn't define the slope, so the inbuilt xover is of dubious practical value.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is no manual available for download, but the quickstart guide shows it as a fixed 100Hz and doesn't define the slope, so the inbuilt xover is of dubious practical value.
You are correct about the crossover, but the manual gives the slope. The crossover is fixed at 100Hz and the slope is 12dB. My understanding is that you can bypass the built-in crossover.

Here is the manual and brochure for download:

Manual: http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/EPX2000_EPX3000_P0A1X_OI_EN.pdf
Brochure: http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/EPX2000-EPX3000_WeBrochure.pdf

1 - 20 of 21 Posts