Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to start from the beginning. After mixing some paint etc, I just thought I'd tell you about my setup.

My HT room is 4,5 x 3,2 m.
Projector is SONY VPL-HS60
Projector throw distance and viewing distance is identical, 4m.
Projektor location is basically pralell to the top of my screen. I have very large optical lens shift enabled shifting the picture down. I can actually stand up in front of the projector (below) without obscuring the pic.
The picture is roughly 2,6 x 1,5m (16:9). I have a perfect black cloth frame around the pic.
Room is totally black, walls cieling, floor, everything. I have a small portion of the cieling left to paint black. No light let in from windows.

I have as previously said, pure ultra flat white high quality paint as picture paint. Nothing else. I have compared it to 4 different "real" screens, with absolutelly no visible quality change. Only one screen differed, but that was due to glare. So it was a negative diff. In trying the C&S mix (yes not the official one) I can not ignore that de difference is very very small in relation to black levels. My HT is so light controlled.

So for the Q. If I came to you guys before paiting my wall white, what would you have recomended me?
Screen material?
Prof paint mix? (Goo etc)
DIY alternative?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Using the Pro Calculator at PJCentral http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HS60-projection-calculator-pro.htm and converting to English measurements, I get your screen as being about 120" diag. @ 16:9 with a projector throw of 13' 1" giving 13 fL. at the screen.

This is actually enough image brightness to use BW or an N8 gray screen. The thing is that with you having a "bat cave" theater with no ambient light problems you don't need a gray screen to combat ambient light, which leaves the projector itself. If the PJ doesn't need help in creating deep blacks in the image, then you can go with a white painted or laminate screen. The reason to use any shade of gray in a screen is to aid in combating ambient light or helping to make up for lack of dark blacks from the PJ itself.

The truth is you may not need a new screen.:dontknow:

The only problem with a white screen is that the image quality degrades significantly when enough light is on in the room to move around safely (such as a party). The darker neutral gray the screen is, the more light can be in the room before significant image degradation takes place; and they also boost perceived contrast and black level for PJ's needing this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AArrghhhhh:hissyfit: this cant be true. I whant to improve my HT....

Ok, I surrender for your wisdom and yes, although my C&S mix is promising, the C&S mix stands out as soon as I get just a little stray light. So to any readers out there, I can verify that the C&S is very promising for all of you that have your screen home in a "normal" room.

Ok, you Jedi-know-it-all-masters :)....I may have a lead on a guy that bought a CRT White Goo paint kit in some haste. He ended up with a roll-screen instead and is now offering me the paint for 60% off. What you think? I know that you have been avoiding Goo like a cat avoids a hot tin roof. not sure why, but have you not got any opinion on Goo system and if not, why is so?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Well... I've never tried Goo. :dunno: And I think it's over-priced at that. I don't think it's nearly as good as the hype but that is just my opinion. Bill (wbassett) has had some professional paint mix samples. But I don't think he had any Goo.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I haven't tried Goo myself, and don't intend to. Here is what Projector Central had to say in their review of Goo CRT White:

"Despite its 1.8 gain rating, the CRT White screen we tested had no discernible gain. It measured at 100% relative to the standard white board, making it the fourth brightest of the white screens reviewed."

What this means is that the Goo CRT White had a true screen gain of only 1.0 and not the 1.8 they were claiming!

Robert, if you have any of the paint left that you used to make your current screen, just make up a sample of it and send it along with your C&S samples. There is a very good chance that you are already only a few percentage points lower that the CRT White would give you.

I believe you also said that you don't want any perceivable viewing cone. Any screen that will give you a brighter image than you are now getting WILL have a narrower viewing cone. That's just a fact of reflective physics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:sad:...I hate laws of physics...

1. My screen size/viewing distance relation makes my HT very suceptable to any minute effect of viewing cone. I mean, any deviations in light intencity distribution will be detected.
2. I am happy with the screen as it is....I just thought...it could be so much better...
3. I find it unbelivable that Projectorcentral is the only "independant" reviewer of Goo Paint.
The samples will be sent Harp.
Lets take it from there shall we...

Thanks for your honest opinions :T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts