Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm into the surround sound hobby mostly for the concerts . I watch a few movies a month.

A few family members and myself bought my father a nice little setup a few years ago and he never rents any movies ,only watches concerts.

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
I have three Netflix queues, one of them is exclusively concerts.

Some that I have enjoyed:

Beethoven: Symphony No. 9: Piano Concerto No. 2: Berlin Philharmonic
Diana Krall: Live in Paris
Eagles: Hell Freezes Over
Eric Clapton Unplugged
George Winston: Seasons in Concert: Windham Hill
Joe Satriani: Live in San Francisco
Lang Lang: Live at Carnegie Hall
Mikado: Gilbert & Sullivan: Stratford Festival
Mozart: Don Giovanni
Pink Floyd: Pulse
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Eric_Clapton_Unplugged/7773356?trkid=64596

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to say I do enjoy watching concerts as much if not more than movies on my set up. I was one of the few that liked the whole DVD A/SACD deal too. Do you have any favorite concerts to watch? I enjoy The Last Waltz, David Gilmour in Concert, Alison Krause and Union Station Live, Jimi at Monterey (from the Monterey Pop Festival Box set) and The Who Live at the Isle of Wight. The Woodstock movie is also classic to check out sometimes. :T

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The ones that I seem to play the most are

Queensryche Operation Live Crime

Fleetwood Mac The Dance

Peter Framton Live in Detroit

Talking Heads Stop Making Sense

There are a few more....

One thing I hate is how they interupt a concert to talk about it on Black Sabbath (Last Supper ) and one of my SRV dvds:scratch:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I definitely watch more movies than concerts simply because there are lots of movies vs. concerts. But, I tremendously enjoy David Gilmour in Concert, Roger Waters Live and Eagles Farewell Tour... those are three awesome DVD concerts! If someone told me I had to permanently pick between movies and concerts, I'd pick concerts.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to get out the Gilmour disc , have not played it in a while.

Just picked up the Waters disc, very good but can't get past not having Gilmour on guitar...

Love the sound on Eagles farewell tour.

Clapton Unplugged is very good (I like him more on an acoustic than electric)

Led Zeppelin (huge fan here)

Still waiting for Pink Floyd Delicate Sounds of Thunder to come out on dvd :daydream:

A Steely Dan concert dvd from last years tour would be nice .(concert was good ,sound was not on their first night in Milwaukee)

·
Banned
127 Posts
****, though it was only in 4:3 ratio, Pink Floyd P.U.L.S.E. 2-DVD set was awesome.
The second DVD was the entire DSOTM live. Ain't nothing better AFAIC!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I definitely enjoy a good concert

This is my current list in no particular order:

Clapton.Crossroads

Judas Priest Rising In The East

Motley Crue Carnival of Sins - Live (2005)

Nirvana - Live Tonight Sold Out

No Quarter Page and Plant Unleaded

Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii 1972

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live El Mocambo

The Black Sabbath Story Vol 1 & 2

The Pink Floyd And Syd Barrett Story

Pink Floyd Pulse

David Gilmour in Concert

as you can see I'm a Pink Floyd fiend :bigsmile:

·
Registered
133 Posts
i love good concerts and music through DVD or SACD. I never did get a DVD-Audio player, but both formats are pretty much obsolete now. MP3's have ruined music sound.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
I have couple of DVD concerts, Eagles Hell freezes over, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones Live at the quick , Electric Light Orchestra Zoom, REM perfect square, Stomp out loud, and my favorite 3 Doors Down Away from the sun and I have VH1 Storytellers, Matchbox 20, Sara McLachlan, Natalie Merchant and Rod Stewart.:T

G

·
Hi

Id like to suggest a few disks that you might not though that I love

Magenta - The Gathering, this is a Welsh prog rock band and the quality of the recording is incredible

Dio - Holy Diver 2006, great concert footage

Tubular Bells 2 - Live at Edinburgh Castle

Rick Wakeman - Made in Cuba

Queen + Paul Rodgers - 2006 at Sheffield great concert with excellent Bryan May footage

Just a few different ideas to check out

Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to say I am one of those who enjoys concert DVD's over movies. There aren't that many good sounding in my genre's which is a fairly sweeping one. I listen to most except country and classical. Please no flames:bigsmile:, just suggestion/recommendations.

With this being said, I will recommend some very good to excellent quality concert DVD's. I am not rating their performance although I am not recommending a lame performance because it looks/sounds VG to excellent. I either purchased these because I rented them and they were outstanding or I bought them because I really liked the artist and found this particular product was very good to excellent, therefore the recommendation.:jump:

Bela Fleck: Live at the Quick. An odd fusion group of extremely accomplished musicians.

Joe Satriani: Live in San Fransisco:scared: A true contemporary guitar hero playing it all from blues to rock to obscure and amazing technique.

Godsmack: Changes the Movie. Hard Rock originating from the Boston area

Roger Waters In the Flesh. Very clean recording and a great version of Comfortably Numb w/ Doyle Bramhall III. Excellent video quality too!

David Gimore Live. also vg video quality.

Pink Floyd P.U.L.S.E. Great concert with VG sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two of my favorites that aren't listed here are:
Metallica: S&M with the San Francisco Symphony
Alice in Chains: Unplugged

G

·
I like a lot of the dvd's posted above, my favourite dvd at the moment is Sessions for Robert J. - Eric Clapton, not really a concert as it's all shot in studio's, but well worth a look.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Two of my favorites that aren't listed here are:
Metallica: S&M with the San Francisco Symphony
Alice in Chains: Unplugged
I know AIC unplugged is excellent audio, have the CD... How is the audio/vdeo on the dvd? I never thought of checking this out through rental.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Over all BEST sounding concert dvd I've ever heard is Peter Gabriel's "Still Growing Up/Live and Unwrapped". That is the way a concert should sound, fabulous mix. It looks great too, great video work. The sound of this dvd should be a benchmark, a place all others need to aspire too. While not a bad sounding disc, I wish PULSE from Floyd sounded this great!

Has anybody else seen/heard the "Rush in Rio" concert dvd? I seem to have a problem with this one. No matter what I do, no matter what settings I use on my Yamaha 6200 receiver, Geddy Lee's voice is lost behind the music. You can barely hear him.

I find it hard to believe they could have released this concert dvd with the mix so far off. Seems strange.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts