Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I've been experimenting with the B3N's in my OB setups and they are great. I crossed ahead of the breakup mode (although I did put a notch on there and noticed no difference).

Overall, I'm very impressed. Very smooth natural midrange. Just don't ask too much from the bass and give it a cheap tweeter to take the top ocatve and you can get a great speaker. Zaph's design using the B3S is pretty neat.

As for routing a perfect square, just build a jig. Make a square frame with half lap joints so that the inside can be the roller-bearing surface (or template guide) for the router. An alternative would be to get some 1/2" MDF and carefully cut out the square with a jigsaw and use files and sandpaper to get it perfect (very time consuming). Then that can be your template.

With routers, jigs are the name of the game. They take a while to get right, but they make the operations safer and easier in the long run.

good luck,
Anthony

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Actually, it can, but usually not by that much. Notch filters can drop the impedance quite a bit as well. However, it is usually the parallel aspects of the filters that cause impedance problems -- at least when I see impedance problems, I usually start there to try and fix them.

The worst is when you have a speaker that sounds good, but a bad impedance plot (too low or too much negative phase). however, with some trial and error, you can usually fix it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts