Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After collecting a chest of drawers full of DVDs I subscribed to Netflix and stopped buying them.
After we got the PS3 we tried a couple of BR titles and while we like BR I can't really say that it changes the movie watching experience very nuch compared to DVD.
We decided to keep the Netflix subscription as DVD.
So I am curious if there are very many other people that still watch DVDs instead of BR most of the time ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe I am a snob, but I almost refuse to watch a dvd. For me BD definitely enhances the viewing experience. Maybe you should try a few more BD titles out.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snob ?? LOL... that brings to mind this little story.
My son refuses to watch anything that is not broadcast in HD or watch a movie that is not on BR and I accused him of being a HD snob... He said he would proudly wear that title.

I have tried several movies on BD and I think they look better, but I don't think the difference is nearly as big as HDTV compared to SDTV.
We have decided that we will not purchase any more DVDs, when we like a movie well enough to own it we will buy it on BD.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If it's available in BR, that's how I'm going to watch it. If done right it does look better than DVD.
But I don't mind watching DVD because it still looks really good on my system.
A very good upconverting system can make DVD and SD (standard def cable) look great. That is what sold me on my Pioneer RPTV. All the reviews said it made SD look great, and it does.
Most any tv can make HDTV look good, but it takes real good technology to make a substandard signal look good.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We still watch mostly dvd, and on our 28 inch screen from 8 feet away you can barely tell the difference in a lot of cases. The only reason why we still mostly get dvd's is because the only br player we have is the ps3, which will soon be remedied when I get a new htpc with our income tax.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get a copy of Watchmen on BR and watch it in "Maximum Movie Mode." It will blow your mind. Here's what you'll see:

Not just a lame commentary audio track, but director walk ons, side by side final/pre-effects shots, picture-in-picture comparisons between the movie and the comic, and more. It really shows the power of blu-ray.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I was a long time hold out on buying a Blu-ray player but now that I have one I watch Blu-ray. Not exclusively, I'll still rent a DVD from Redbox or Netflix but if it is available on Blu-ray I'll wait for it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I was a hddvd adopter, not bought more than a couple of dvds since. Sadly, my $200 xbox 360 drive add-on and a final total of about 10 movies was sold on ebay when Blu ray was announced as the winner. I really think hddvd was the better format, but I digress...

As a front projection guy, dvd really pales (pun intended) compared to blu ray on my system. So dvds are very rarely watched in my house. Even the gf has come around, she went from not caring to paying attention to format and greatly preferring br...

We never rent or buy dvd.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Do I like BD, Yes, But I still have a whole bunch of dvd's that I will watch from time to time and with my old faithfull Xa2 HD dvd player still upconverting perfectly I Don't see any reason not too.......:bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Going back to DVDs just feels blurry and noisy. I'm definitely a HD snob... unfortunately I don't have HD cable so I no longer watch much TV LOL. It looks especially bad on my plasma with its sub-par upscaling. SD looks a lot better upstairs on a 2003 60" Sony Grand Wega than it does on a 2008 46" Panasonic Plasma... who'da thought!?

·
Senior Shackster
365 Posts
I was a hddvd adopter, not bought more than a couple of dvds since. Sadly, my $200 xbox 360 drive add-on and a final total of about 10 movies was sold on ebay when Blu ray was announced as the winner. I really think hddvd was the better format, but I digress...
From the studio level nobody thought HDDVD was a better format. Bandwidth issues killed the format early in the game. You had to aggressively use VC-1 to get lossless audio and the extra content in the pipeline - hence the lower bit rate encodes on HDDVD. Could you imagine 3D being introduced on the format? Nope, not enough storage capacity or bandwidth to accommodate that.

As a current owner of a XA-1, A-35 and a XA-2, all were buggier than the PS3. The great thing is they make great DVD players now, which is what they are used for. I still have about 100 HDDVD movies, but they have not seen much action since the titles could be found on Bluray.

As a front projection guy, dvd really pales (pun intended) compared to blu ray on my system. So dvds are very rarely watched in my house. Even the gf has come around, she went from not caring to paying attention to format and greatly preferring br...

We never rent or buy dvd.
This is the prime reason for my early entry in both Bluray and HDDVD. They both look better on a big screen, and at the time I had a really big one.

·
Registered
919 Posts
As always good info from Sir Terrence. Good to hear it from that perspective, I can't remember why, but for some reason I thought HD DVD was supposed to be the better format.
Maybe I just liked the name 'HD DVD,' it was perfectly descriptive yet simple.

·
Senior Shackster
365 Posts
As always good info from Sir Terrence. Good to hear it from that perspective, I can't remember why, but for some reason I thought HD DVD was supposed to be the better format.
Maybe I just liked the name 'HD DVD,' it was perfectly descriptive yet simple.
The stories I could tell you about the format war could point your hair straight in the air. :yikes: The reality is, this was a tortoise and hare situation for sure. Toshiba came right off the starting line fast and slick, and Bluray sort of evolved slowly, but had wide spread support from the film community for its potential over the long haul. From a studio technical level, HDDVD was no match against Bluray. The larger storage and bandwidth was a huge advantage that no matter what advancements Toshiba announced(the 51 GB supposed disc storage breakthrough), it could not overcome the bandwidth issue. It cost Toshiba too much "bribe" money, too much subsidizing money, and too much advertising money to continue to support HDDVD, hence them dropping the format, and pretty much exiting the HD on disc market(DVD is still around though).

The online discussion and marketplace areas were almost completely destroyed by this format war. Forums that were once known for their large knowledge base became divided and fractured; leaning towards one side, it lost much of its credibility for the obvious bias it became. Other forums grew like weeds in a vacant lot, almost overtaking the long largest HT and AV discussion forum on the net. The ugly-ness of the whole thing hurt HD on disc in ways that cannot be fathomed. I got banned from a certain forum for refuting a rumor that Disney was going HDDVD right in the middle of the war. I was a active long term member there, and that rumor was just a rumor, and could not be substantiated by any real evidence. There was no way this was going to happen, NO WAY!

From a studio perspective, the format killed a what could have been a natural progression from sales losing DVD, to money making HD on disc. Three years, and a ton of mud cast doubt on whether each HD on disc format was really viable on the market going into the future. Downloads became the "Bluray killer app", and that hurt the studio's continued push for disc SALES, which are their bread and butter. I am sure that Warner, Paramount, and Universal are probably kicking themselves for hampering their future bread and butter, but for short term profits, it probably help them out quite a bit.

I could go on, but that is another thread altogether. No one benefited from the format war. It hurt everyone, everywhere. There are still some bad feelings some three years after that war has long been over.

It is amazing how you can get your market schmeel right(I liked the HD DVD name as well), but go so wrong technically trying to adhere so closely to DVD technology to save you some product development money.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Many blu-ray titles I've rented have not been overly impressive in PQ on my 50" SXRD. Some, however, have been. My wife and I tend to choose format based on the title and genre, opting for DVD when PQ will not really add much to the experience (e.g. romantic comedies). The reason we don't exclusively get BR titles is because they seem to be more problematic than DVD when renting (scratches, etc).

·
Registered
351 Posts
We choose what to watch by content, but if there's a choice, it's always blu ray. We have front projection and on a 120" screen, there's a big difference.

A lot of it has to do with mastering for both DVD and blu ray. We have some well mastered DVD's that approach HD quality. We also have some that look downright atrocious (National Velvet).

We had a DVD of Buster Keaton's "The General". It looks OK, I thought it was limited by source, which may be true. Kino has released a blu ray version struck from a source one generation from the camera negative. It's just stunning!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Since I get most of my films from NetFlix, the majority are Blu-Ray. NetFlix (thankfully) defaults everything to that format. I've had a few Blu's that fell short in PQ, but in general I love the format. Although I still think standard DVD is not TOO bad on my 65" HDTV.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My local video club don't have a big blue ray disk collection so when the movie aren't available on this format I rent DVD. The image is still good and anyway most french blue ray disk are not even encoded in Lossless audio... That a real shame because when watching a movie in DTS-HD master audio or Dolby trueHD I do see a little difference in the audio quality. That should be a law for all blue ray movie. They should be all encoded in HD audio in all common language (English, French, Spanish, Deutsch etc...)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I will still watch both, and watch SD DVDs frequently. Partly because we have about 500 of them, and partly because I don't feel some movies really NEED BD. For example, blockbusters like Iron Man, and animation like WALL-E that take full advantage of the sound and picture will get the BD treatment. But I still buy movies in SD (how can I not for $5.00 new!?) and rent SD when the material doesn't really need to be at BD level to appreciate it. Comedies, romance, many documentaries, I'm still happy watching them in SD when there's a significant savings involved. My Oppo does a great job of upconverting in any case, and I don't find the presentation too lacking except in those special movies that beg for the best of the best.

For those special ones though, I really do appreciate the extra level BD brings to the game. Our Blu collection is expanding, but I haven't replaced anything that I already own on DVD yet. I think the first may be LOTR when the extended versions eventually make it out. Sales on BD's are getting better and more common, so it is making more sense to pick them up lately.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am at the point now where I will only watch a SD DVD if the content is not available on blu or not going to be available soon.
I purchased a Oppo BDP83 player because it had excellent SD up-converting abilities (and it does!) but I hardly ever watch SD content on it... I guess I am a snob :)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts