Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiousity i did a search to see if their had ever been a sonosub using a passive radiator and i found sealed tubes and dual woofer tubes but no PR. just wondering what would be the pros and cons of a sub set up like this. :scratch:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The point of using sonotube is to make a large sub that's not overly heavy and easy to construct. The point of using PRs is to get get the same output in a smaller volume. So those are two conflicting design goals. It's certainly possible to create a PR sonotube by putting the radiator on the opposite cap. But before you do that ask yourself the following: what exactly are your goals and limitations?

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's definitely possible to use a PR in a sonotube, the only issue being the PR's orientation would require the tube to be on its side as PR's can not be mounted horizontally.
Im sorry do you mean vertically? Like they cant be mounted vertically?

just asking because if I have to move I would probably look to get rid of my huge sonos and build smaller ones with PR's and make smaller sonos on their sides (like mk theater did but with PR's rather than sealed)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
They cant be mounted down firing so the sonotube would have to be on its side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts