Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of buying one I'd just like to make one on the cheap but I need directions: Like complete idiot directions. Anyone have any suggestions?

It's for an Onkyo 705.

Would one PC fan suffice or should I link some?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's where it gets confusing for me. I've read where some have said it's easy and cheap and where others have said it's not worth it. So I need a definitive answer on the details so I can make up my own mind.

Edit: Just remembered that I have an AC to DC converter. I think. You plug it into the wall and it has a cigarette lighter thing on the front. That'd do it, right>

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
A little googling for "Rack Fan" shows a lot of options in the $50-100 range for a complete setup. Might be able to find the power supply used in those for less.

Are you having shutdown issues related to heat? Can you post pictures of your setup?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just remembered that I have an AC to DC converter. I think. You plug it into the wall and it has a cigarette lighter thing on the front. That'd do it, right?
Just clip the wires to remove the cigarette plug and connect to the fan (red and black wires). If it does not provide enough juice you might have to get a different AC/DC converter with specs closer to the power requirements for the fan or a regulated power supply. The Vantec "Stealth" computer fans are really quiet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't it be easier to add a cigarette type male end to the fan wires and then just insert that into the female receptacle on the inverter (converter?) which would then be plugged into the wall?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to add a cigarette type male end to the fan wires and then just insert that into the female receptacle on the inverter (converter?) which would then be plugged into the wall?
Either way would work.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
In regards to sucking out hot air just remember to create a situation where cold air can flow in at an equal rate (ie. dont cover your only opening 3/4 of the way with exhaust fans). i'm sure the risk of this is much lower than configuring pc fans in your case.

super new to these forums and i'm sure there is already much better knowledge out there. if you have a stack of equipment i'd suggest air blowing in the bottom and out the top. but i wonder how the actual av pros here do.

i've enjoyed going very lego on all my computers for 20 or so years but i'm just a shiny blind newborn pup when it comes to HT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have built many amp's and other devices that required cooling. Look for a SPRITE model su2a5. It is a AC Fan for 115v .15a 50/60hz. Very quite and moves around 500cfm.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What are you going to plug into that has a USB port?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an Onkyo 5007 and the space it fits into has only 5/8" above it. What I did was buy a laptop pad cooler with 3 fans, removed the fans from the housing and they push air in. I bought another one with 2 fans and a front exhaust that pulls air out and exhausts it to the front of the Onkyo. I bought a 4 port usb hub and plugged it into the back of my att cable box. Works good and cannot hear it even with everything off. I found everything on ebay and spent maybe $30.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.