Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Is there any idea on specs yet? I am afraid that this will be another extreme difference in HT vs Auto again...
either you get a bad car impedance... single or dual 8ohm or 4 ohm, bad power handling, (normally I consider it better power requirement, but in this case, we are talking an IB sub that only has to move Mms and compliance vs. an Auto which has 8 super stiff spiders that will be in tiny super high tuned ported boxes) high Fs... as stated above in parentheses, and worst of all, less Xmax

Why can't we have some auto subs that have <20Hz Fs, more than 30mm Xmax, and more than 1000 watt power handling?

Then I could get 1 for the car and 1 for the house.... put them both in large low tuned boxes. Large and low tuned in car as in 15-30 cubes @ 16-20Hz, and LLT in home.

I hate having to look at all these IB subs that have almost everything I want, except the coils to handle the auto beat-down!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No specs for the IB22 yet. We are needing to make a couple of changes to the basket as the original cracked in testing... granted we had strapped 85# worth of a new motor design to it and were testing it when it did. Adding a little more webbing to the ends of the legs where they meet the mounting flange.

If there really seems to be a call for something other than an IB driver, its not an issue to make. We have close to 50 standard motor designs to pull from, and can tweak from these or make something entirely new should there be a call for it. Yes a good portion of what is seen on forums is "autosound" oriented, but about half of what we do OEM is for home audio applications. I definitely prefer the HT OEM work :)

·
Banned
361 Posts
No specs for the IB22 yet. We are needing to make a couple of changes to the basket as the original cracked in testing... granted we had strapped 85# worth of a new motor design to it and were testing it when it did. Adding a little more webbing to the ends of the legs where they meet the mounting flange.

If there really seems to be a call for something other than an IB driver, its not an issue to make. We have close to 50 standard motor designs to pull from, and can tweak from these or make something entirely new should there be a call for it. Yes a good portion of what is seen on forums is "autosound" oriented, but about half of what we do OEM is for home audio applications. I definitely prefer the HT OEM work :)
Thank you much for your reply, I'll send an email. I'm tired of shopping around trying to make things work that don't really apply to what I'm after.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Email sent...
thanks,
Scott
Christmas came a little early this year, in the form of great news... Thank you Scott. We are nearing the end of our blizzard here in Sioux Falls SD, today should be "warm" as we were -6 with 40mph gusts yesterday. I will take some measurements ASAP.... But the big hurdle is behind me now.

Anyone interested in an IB18 and IB22's ability to work in-car vs IB in home, please refer to this thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/mobile-audio-discussion/14403-ib-subs-ported-enclosure-2.html#post134780

·
Banned
361 Posts
Ill post some pics shortly of the basket and as other tooled parts come in. Hoping to have things ready to go about March for these, but the cone body is the biggest sticking point right now as we are doing composites in house for the other drivers that will be using this basket. Definitely a cost concern with what is needed for an IB setup. I will see if a simple E glass layup without a real core would work. Otherwise its one more tooling needed to get kraft pulp cone bodies going and that might delay things another month or so...
So what are the different cone details.... What I am getting out of this is composites are stiffer, more rigid, and will make for a more shallow mounting depth? Kraft pulp cone needs to be curvilinear to maintain it's strength, but will make for a deeper mounting depth, a completely different basket?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Will one be able to mount this driver facing down without causing excessive damage (or shortening the life of the driver excessively)? Just curious as the cone will be pretty heavy. I hope it's OK as my ceiling joists are spaced 24" OC so this driver might just fit between them perfectly.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Will one be able to mount this driver facing down without causing excessive damage (or shortening the life of the driver excessively)? Just curious as the cone will be pretty heavy. I hope it's OK as my ceiling joists are spaced 24" OC so this driver might just fit between them perfectly.
There is a .pdf from Adire I believe that uses certain thiele small params to determine what drivers are OK to mount horizontal and which ones will sag too much. Doesnt WinISD have something as well?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I vaguely remember something like that. I just figured it would be better to get it straight from the horses mouth.

·
Banned
361 Posts
I vaguely remember something like that. I just figured it would be better to get it straight from the horses mouth.
I totally understand, someone once told me "The point is it had to come from the manufacturer, after all, it is his product." to which i wanted to reply "Yes, years ago, Audiobahn once told me their A1500HCT that I owned was 2000 watts RMS" :D

jus playin! :p

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm just replying to add another YES, I am interested in 22" IB. This makes IB worth doing, assuming your price is a fantastic value, the Fs is insanely low, and this is equipped with a highly linear motor.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Could be very interesting and open up some new avenues for subwoofer applications.

Scott, do you foresee the Le allowing this driver to be used with good performance up to 100hz, or will this be mainly suited as a <50hz performer?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
While I dont have my design specs in front of me, with the 2 layer coils that are in the IB3 series right now, they shouldnt roll to above 120 Hz as is. Didnt need 4 layers for impedance, thermal mass, or Bl with the IB3s, so you do get the reduced Le benefit as well. Ill have to check.

But for it really isnt an issue to reduce inductance (as well as linearize it vs excursion) in most applications with shorting rings strategically placed. Seems another thread below is interested in the 22" for sealed applications. For something like that where we will need to increase power handling and motor strength to achieve the desired specs, the higher inductance of the 4 layer coil would need to be combated with some rings.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If the result of all design parameters is a driver that does 15hz to 100hz better than anything else around today, I'll take one.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts