Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw something about a guy who plasti diped his rims and i'm in the mid of my first diy sub and reading how much if a pain it is to prime and paint the mdf.
Could plasti dip be easier?
not much of a selection in finishes though i'd imagine

·
Registered
344 Posts
I saw the excact same thing and also a whole car being done!
I was also thinking about doing my subs this way, but am wondering how to prepare the surface and if i would come off like it does on vehicules if i wanted ?
It gives a beautifull mat black finish and since its a bit thicker than paint would fill in any imperfections to give a better finished product!

Let me know if u use it !

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have used plasti dip many times before and I love the stuff. It is a bit different then paint because it dries into a rubber coating. The durability all depends on how many coats you put on. When I use the spray I do about 4 light coats for a nice finish. As far as prep goes, just a nice clean surface will do. Also because it dries into a rubber coating if you don't like it down the road you can peel it off. Think of it as more of a sticker than a paint. I have seen a few people carry tinted versions of the spray cans. hope that helps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that does help.
thank you

·
Registered
344 Posts
Steve41 said:
I have used plasti dip many times before and I love the stuff. It is a bit different then paint because it dries into a rubber coating. The durability all depends on how many coats you put on. When I use the spray I do about 4 light coats for a nice finish. As far as prep goes, just a nice clean surface will do. Also because it dries into a rubber coating if you don't like it down the road you can peel it off. Think of it as more of a sticker than a paint. I have seen a few people carry tinted versions of the spray cans. hope that helps.
Did u actually use it for speakers or something else ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's stuck to chrome!? that's impressive

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not REAL chome!? weeeeeaaaakk
haha jk
either way it's a tough surface to bond to

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tried Plast-Dip on a piece of scrap MDF,... the only problem is that it aint coming off !!.

Mdf is porous enough that the plasti- dip is absorbed in the first coats, and can no longer be removed like it can when painting over a clear coat like cars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's a good thing isn't it? did you use a rattle can?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tried Plast-Dip on a piece of scrap MDF,... the only problem is that it aint coming off !!.

Mdf is porous enough that the plasti- dip is absorbed in the first coats, and can no longer be removed like it can when painting over a clear coat like cars.
I have never used it on MDF before. what about trying a heavy coat first then a few more coats on top of that. which type of plasti dip did you use?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have never used it on MDF before. what about trying a heavy coat first then a few more coats on top of that. which type of plasti dip did you use?
I used black mat in a rattle can.

....If it can't be removed , maybe i should just use black mat paint instead ??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
why do you need to remove it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gotcha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts