Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone out there has paired up the very well reviewed Pioneer speakers (SP-BS21-LR, SP-BS22-LR, SP-FS51, or SP-FS52) with a half height Marantz 50W receiver (NR1403, NR1404, NR1504, NR1603, NR1604, etc.). If you have this combination, do you find that your receiver is able to drive the speakers enough to reach acceptable loudness? What is your usual listening volume/setting (on the receiver)?

I'm hoping to setup this combination, but I'm still a little concerned about the low power on the receiver and the low efficiency on the speakers ... unfortunately I can't actually listen to this combination before I make the purchase.

Thanks,
Harry

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
The Marantz slimline series are very low powered with very little headroom. If you were going to use them with the AJ speakers, it would need to be at lower volumes. Those are seriously inefficient speakers. You would likely clip the amp pretty quickly at higher volumes.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone out there has paired up the very well reviewed Pioneer speakers (SP-BS21-LR, SP-BS22-LR, SP-FS51, or SP-FS52) with a half height Marantz 50W receiver (NR1403, NR1404, NR1504, NR1603, NR1604, etc.). If you have this combination, do you find that your receiver is able to drive the speakers enough to reach acceptable loudness? What is your usual listening volume/setting (on the receiver)?

I'm hoping to setup this combination, but I'm still a little concerned about the low power on the receiver and the low efficiency on the speakers ... unfortunately I can't actually listen to this combination before I make the purchase.

Thanks,
Harry
Do you already own the marantz receiver? Are your looking into purchasing both?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you already own the marantz receiver? Are your looking into purchasing both?
I'm looking to purchase both on Black Friday. The receiver I'm pretty set on because I need a half heigh receiver and Marantz seems to make the best (within my $500 or so price range). The speakers I don't mind changing as long as they sound real good and cost around the same as the Pioneers ($500 or so on sale for 4 towers and a center).

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Marantz slimline series are very low powered with very little headroom. If you were going to use them with the AJ speakers, it would need to be at lower volumes. Those are seriously inefficient speakers. You would likely clip the amp pretty quickly at higher volumes.
That's what I'm worried about, however, I've had people tell me there should be no problems, and I've had people mention what you mention. Hence why I'm hoping to actually find someone with this setup and see what they think of it.

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm looking to purchase both on Black Friday. The receiver I'm pretty set on because I need a half heigh receiver and Marantz seems to make the best (within my $500 or so price range). The speakers I don't mind changing as long as they sound real good and cost around the same as the Pioneers ($500 or so on sale for 4 towers and a center).

Thanks,
Harry
If you go with the Pioneer speakers, make sure to buy the ones with the 2 at the end of the model. Those are the newest ones and are much improved over the 1's. I own these speakers and they play outstanding for the price. I don't own a marantz receiver though so I'm not sure of the efficiency of the slim models, I have a Yamaha 573 that pushes up to 115 watts per channel so I don't have to worry about not having enough juice. Lol
I don't know about the efficiency of the speakers but as I stated they sound very good.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What is the reasoning for going with a half height receiver in the first place? If your stuffing it in to a confined space that has no room for anything larger I would rethink that idea as heat will kill a receiver faster than anything if you don't give it room to breath. Driving those speakers at any decent listening levels will cause it to get very warm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the reasoning for going with a half height receiver in the first place? If your stuffing it in to a confined space that has no room for anything larger I would rethink that idea as heat will kill a receiver faster than anything if you don't give it room to breath. Driving those speakers at any decent listening levels will cause it to get very warm.
It will be a confined space, but it does have good ventilation ... basically it comes down to aesthetics and wife acceptance :)

Thanks,
Harry

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It will be a confined space, but it does have good ventilation.
Confined space and good ventilation do not go hand in hand, I do understand the WAF but it won't help your cause if you will have to replace it a year later because it has died due to heat. You need a minimum of 4" of clearance above the receiver or it will overheat and even then that's pushing it. I would highly recommend looking into buying speakers like the Klipsch line as they require very little power to drive and are very good quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I listen to JBL HLS610 (88dB sensitivity) for my fronts and surrounds, and JBL HLS Center. They are crossed over at 80Hz to the sub and playing through a Marantz NR1501. The JBL's are 1dB more efficient than the Pioneers, but the Marantz has no trouble driving them to very loud levels.

The volume is usually set at -40 to -45 for music (CDs on Oppo BDP83, or Pandora), and -50 to -55 for movies (can get pretty loud sometimes...).

This is in a great room that's about 18-1/2 ft by 28 ft with 8-1/2 ceilings.

David

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tonyvdb,

I wasn't pointing him towards any particular speaker, only answering the initial post since my setup is similar. My reference to the 1dB difference is for the larger speaker (per the Pioneer website).

David

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Confined space and good ventilation do not go hand in hand, I do understand the WAF but it won't help your cause if you will have to replace it a year later because it has died due to heat. You need a minimum of 4" of clearance above the receiver or it will overheat and even then that's pushing it. I would highly recommend looking into buying speakers like the Klipsch line as they require very little power to drive and are very good quality.
I probably should have given more details ... the space is confined, but will have mechanical (ie: fans) ventilation to compensate for the tight space.

Btw, any specific Klipsch speakers that I should consider? I'll obviously do my own research, but I'm just curious :)

Harry

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I listen to JBL HLS610 (88dB sensitivity) for my fronts and surrounds, and JBL HLS Center. They are crossed over at 80Hz to the sub and playing through a Marantz NR1501. The JBL's are 1dB more efficient than the Pioneers, but the Marantz has no trouble driving them to very loud levels.

The volume is usually set at -40 to -45 for music (CDs on Oppo BDP83, or Pandora), and -50 to -55 for movies (can get pretty loud sometimes...).

This is in a great room that's about 18-1/2 ft by 28 ft with 8-1/2 ceilings.

David
Thank you very much for the information. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
Without knowing how large the room is you may end up with suggestions that aren't fit for purpose, so having that bit of information will be helpful (HWD). One thought does spring immediately to mind though...

You may wish to consider starting with a 3.1 system and then purchasing surrounds at a later date. Having 3 good speakers for a short while is better than having 5 average ones for years. If you do want to explore that possibility a few options that might be worth considering are:
The sensitivity on all of these is pretty good as well, so they shouldn't put too much of a strain on the receiver.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
21 Posts

I was asking the same questions you were, but in my case I was going 4 bookshelves / 1 center. Although I ultimately moved on to a Pioneer Elite, here's what Marantz told me:

"The NR1604 can handle 6 ohm speakers so this shouldn't be a problem. The speakers don't have the best efficiency rating so just be aware that if you want it to be loud you may find yourself turning the volume up above 80 or 0dB (depending on volume display option) which is about as far as it should go. If you find that you need to go that high to get the volume you want then you may need a more powerful unit like the SR5008."

You may want to revisit the "Is my receiver (Marantz NR1603) powerful enought for floor speakers?" thread. Solid advice from Osage there.

Another competing model is the Yamaha RX-S600, but it appears to suffer the same power limitations as the Marantz models.

How much space do you have for your receiver? Maybe a picture would help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts