Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I tried it. I have 4 surrounds and 2 centers. This is not the best test setup as the 2 centers are not the same brand and are obviously not matched. One center above and one below. One set of speakers are about level with the lower center and the second set is about level with the top center. I am not intrested in numbers just sound for now.
I can honestly say it placed the center sound completely dead center of the screen. My wife thinks I am nuts. She sat down to listen I told her to close her eyes. First, I moved the single center to several positions until I found the spot she said is sounded best. Without telling her, I turned on the top center and she instantly began to smile. She said "It sounds better...
An interesting configuration...Are you using A+B on the receiver, or are the 2 sets wired in parallel?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Thinking outside the square can sometimes yeild surprising results..:T
When exhorted to "think outside the box" by a management consultant, our chairman of Psychiatry responded by saying that people who do are usually kept on medication.:rofl2:

Kal

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
They are wired in parallel. I would have tried A&B but I did not have enough speaker wire for both speakers to reach the system. I will likely try that next.

The top speaker was installed upside down so the tweeter is at the lowest point of the speaker, the lower speaker is right side up so the tweeter is at the top. this seams to mend the two speakers into one even though there is a gap of about 2 to 3 feet between them. However, moving the lower speakers to far to the left or to far to the right really screws with the sound quality. But when placed just right the two speakers become invisible and the sound seems to come from out of now where. I mean if you look the speaker the sound does not appear to be coming from it.

Maybe a meter would tell a differnt story. But it sure has my ears, my wifes ears, and now my wifes girl friends ears fooled.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I tried this upside down configuration..WTTW..with my two lower centre speakers last night, stacking them on top of each other, and was surprised at the results..
I still had the good centre of screen voice imaging, with a good spread across the screen, but the voices were projected more forward than previously..
Also loud explosions had more impact with a sharper crack as the explosion began..
Definitely an improvement and I'll be keeping them setup this way..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use two front left and right speakers my placement options are nil with WAF so I have to improvise. The mains are placed a bit too far apart and fire into the room at an angle toward my listening postion. The augmenting speakers point towards the center of the back wall. Essentially the side of the augmenting speaker is placed along the back of the main speaker. Works great for me and my lovely wife.

The center is augmented with a separate subwoofer placed behind it. No separate power amp in the sub, just a ported box with a sub.

The downside, forget about doing this with a Denon receiver. The Denon is about useless for reference levels in home theater, even with the very efficient Klipsch speakers. It is a great preamp tho. 2307CI. My old HK AVR500 had no problem driving a pair of Klipsches per channel. That now serves as the guest bedroom 5.1 audio setup.

An ADCOM amp just gathering dust put back into service and all is now fine.

When I get all my subwoofers installed I may use some of my pro amps to advantage with the fronts and center.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I Use Dual Center Speakers From The Main Receiver, I Like To Have A Wide Center Channel As Many Movies Have The Audio Coming Out The Center Channel, I Have A 73" Tv So Plenty Of Room For Two Centers, I Also Like Them To Have Good High Output So I Use Two Athena Ws-60 Turned Sideways (they Are Designed To Go Either Way), I Used To Use Dual Front Speakers But Not Anymore, I Have The Centers Under The Tv On The Midle Shelf Of The Stand, Used To Have Them On Top Of My Old Tv But The Tv's Are Super Thin Now So No Room On The Top. Works Pretty Well.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Kal,

Can you expand upon this? I doubt doubt that the interaction between two speaker can have some cancellation, but if you could fill us in on more of the science behind this, or perhaps link an article, that would be great.

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Kal,

Can you expand upon this? I doubt doubt that the interaction between two speaker can have some cancellation, but if you could fill us in on more of the science behind this, or perhaps link an article, that would be great.

Thanks,

Marshall
Off hand, no. I have explained the issue here and on several other forums (especially AVSforum) many, many times and even dealt with it in my column at one time. However, I would have to start Googling to find any of them, so I will have to leave it to you if you are so motivated.

Basically, it has to do with the wave interaction between any two sources (re)producing the same signals. The interaction corrupts in the plane of their displacement and is relatively benign at right angle to that plane.

Kal

·
Registered
50 Posts
Move your head a few mm or inches depending on the frequencies involved and you can get reinforcement or cancellation with your two ears. I think sometimes way too much is made of minutia.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Move your head a few mm or inches depending on the frequencies involved and you can get reinforcement or cancellation with your two ears. I think sometimes way too much is made of minutia.
Those changes can be due to many things, some of which are avoidable (such as speaker orientation and placement) and some are less tractable (such as boundary reflections at low frequencies). It also depends on how and to what you listen.

Kal

21 - 32 of 32 Posts