Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Anything dangerous about using very high gain??

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tboooe 
#1 ·
I have a couple of nasty nulls in my room which I was able to correct with filters but I had to use gains ranging from 12-16. Aside from clipping which I can account for in my playback software by adding a negative gain to the overall signal, is there anything detrimental to using such high gains? Will it damage my speakers? Is there a recommended maximum gain that I should try to adhere to?

#2 ·

Sounds like they were actually troughs or depressions, and not nulls. Nulls are typically very deep and narrow, and can’t be corrected with any amount of gain.

The main problem with large-gain filters (either positive or negative) is reduced headroom. As long as you keep the amp out of clipping by reducing the level, you’re fine. :T

Regards,
Wayne

#5 ·
Nulls are very position dependent, so a correction you apply to try and fix a null measured in one position will cause a peak in other positions. Any narrow filter with gain is a bad idea, narrow filters with gains that high are a very bad idea.

#6 ·
Thank you John. Thats the conclusion I have reached as well after doing more research. So it seems I need more bass traps in my room to deal with these modes, correct? BTW, are narrow filters will negative gain just as bad? It seem REW can pretty effectively deal with peaks while dips do not seem to respond as well to gain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.