Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I have 4x 15" JBL GTO1514 drivers and an inuke3000dsp.
I'm building sealed subwoofers because I don't have any room for ported designs.
I've designed 2 cabinets that can (potentially) stack on top of each other (if needed).
Each cabinet has 2x drivers with a volume of about 160L (5.5 cubic feet) or 80L per driver.

I'm designing the cutsheets for a local shop to cut and assembly the MDF cabinets for me.

My question is regarding the layout of the panels, for assembly I thought the following layout/design would be best:

1. I will start with the rear panel

2. one side panel is placed on top (rather than next to) the rear panel. (is this wrong?)

3. The internal brace windows are glued and nailed in

4. The other side panel is placed glued and nailed in

4. Sub placed on side and rear panel glued and nailed in.

I'm not sure if this is the correct method. The following pictures should show what I mean.

Final assembly before the front baffle is added:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
should i over size the rear piece + front baffle then after its nailed + glued trim it with a trim bit on the router?

·
Super Moderator
9,283 Posts
My question is regarding the layout of the panels, for assembly I thought the following layout/design would be best:

1. I will start with the rear panel

2. one side panel is placed on top (rather than next to) the rear panel. (is this wrong?)

3. The internal brace windows are glued and nailed in

4. The other side panel is placed glued and nailed in

4. Sub placed on side and rear panel glued and nailed in.

I'm not sure if this is the correct method.
Seems to me like a good way to do it. Might want to check other build threads to see how others have done it, we have no shortage of them. No reason to oversize the top and bottom. It will look better if you just have them cut the right size.

Nice rendering by the way... :T

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd read somewhere that it's hard to chit exact size. And someone said in a thread they wish they oversized and then trimmed down.

The other way to do it would to have the front baffle fitted between the side panel.it might give a nice finish on the edges. I'll be added a square frame covered in cloth to the entire front face of the speaker so it would hide the joins of it was done this way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm getting a shop to make them so i want to make instructions for them so it goes smoothly and properly so i get a good end result.

The other idea would be to pay them to make all the cuts then assemble myself but i would have to buy clamps or hire a nail gun with a compressor.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Have you considered going Dual Opposed?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes I considered. the reason for not going dual opposed is.
1. The box shape is designed for small foot print. 2. Would have to use more wood. 3. Thought it would be harder to build and brace (i'm paying someone else to build who wont be familiar with building subs). 4. These drivers aren't that powerful (350w 14.5mm xmax) so i thought i might get away without running opposed.

Do you think this is a mistake?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts