Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi again recruit,

I don't no if you have already but if you need in-depth tech info on your 888 i would surgest you speak to Andy Moor at Arcam he knows his stuff :sn:

The new 2.3 update part of it will be for the AVR500 better fan control.
Every now and then my AV888 locks up on volume control you have turn off from mains to re-set, maybe 2.3 will address this too.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yes I have heard v2.3 will be released shortly, I have not had any issues with the AV888 locking up with v2.2, I get the odd occasional HDMI handshaking issues but that is about it and changing inputs usually corrects that problem :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys , i have her , Tuesday set aside for rebuilding racks and setting up , wont be a bad thing unplugging and reconnecting everthing , only 2.2 software so Arcam are going to send me 2.3 , still no news except maybe July for BD player , let the good times begin , any tips from people on setting up , have a stand for the mike to sit on for calibration etc and will banish girlfriend and dog from house when doing so .

:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
hi guys , i have her , Tuesday set aside for rebuilding racks and setting up , wont be a bad thing unplugging and reconnecting everthing , only 2.2 software so Arcam are going to send me 2.3 , still no news except maybe July for BD player , let the good times begin , any tips from people on setting up , have a stand for the mike to sit on for calibration etc and will banish girlfriend and dog from house when doing so .

:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:
Great news pezzr, look forward to your thoughts on the Arcam :T

·
Registered
68 Posts
I heard the AVR 600 and I assume it should have the SQ signiture. It was matched up with the top of the line Paradigm signature series and it was a typical Arcam warm, full and detailed. The second processor hooked up to the Paradigms was their Anthem D-2, P-5 combo which runs almost 3X more and the level of SQ was on the same level. I'm looking to add a current pre/pro to my system and sell my Krell Showcase. Tell me have you had any handshke HDMI problems or audio dropouts? I was intrested in the Cary 11A but the problems have me worried. LOL with your new Arcam.:sn:

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The sound quality of the AV888 is a step up from the AVR600 as I had one originally for 2 months before I got the 888, the Analogue section/board is a lot bigger having the Wolfson DAC's and better power supply to the critical components.

I do not have any issues with the AV888 and I am now running firmware v2.5, no audio drop outs with HDMI but I do need to power on the Oppo before switching inputs or else I do not get any sound, I believe this to be a problem with the Oppo as I do not suffer any other issues with other HDMI components and I still have my Sony BD player Region B only and it does not have any issues at all when using it, but it is not a problem as the SQ is stunning with both movies and music, I could not recommend a product any higher than the Arcam as it is the best processor I have owned and it is one that can do Hi Fi so well also, and there are not many processors out there that you can say the same.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Better than the 600 and that was impressive. I'm saving up and wanted an audiophile grade sound that would match my Aerial speaker system. Cary was a first choice but the problems I read on line were a nightmare. In fact if you look at many makes they all seem to be having problems accross the board. Looks like Arcam has their act together. By the way have you heard anything about Arcams new universal players. Two models $1000 and $2000 USD? :sn:

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Don't get me wrong the AVR600 is what made me get the AV888, It is the best Receiver I have heard and that is for both Music and Movies, it is an incredible achievement for Arcam to have made such great products and write all there own code for these units. and now all the bugs are gone as far as I am concerned.

Ref to the BD player the BDP100 has been released in the UK already but it is not a universal player only DVD/BD & CD but it is supposed to be very good indeed for 2 channel music and excellent for DVD/BD usage.

There has been a rumour that a BDP200 will appear but it is all speculation atm :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but was browsing the Arcam website in search of a good analog tuner (the T32) and got interested in the AV 888.

In this review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/arcam-fmj-av888-av-processor-reviewed/

There's this quote in the end:
For those who want the most flexible and connectable AV preamp the Denon AVP-A1HDCi comes to mind but sonically it is no match for the Arcam AV888.

I thought the Denon is the nec plus ultra as far as pre-pro's go, certainly with the recent update (9.3 DSX and XT32). Not? Both are over my budget if new, but used may be accessible (2,000 - 2,500). Unless Marantz finally brings a successor to the AV8003.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read the same article. Not quite sure what they are talklilng about. I have found the FMJ888 very flexible for all my needs. I have an iRdock, rDac, 2 home pc's, DVD, Wii, cable box, 5.1 speakers, outdoor speakers and all hooked up easily. The two channel sound is incredible and I just love watching films as the picture and sound is amazing from HDMI. What will you need for inputs that requires such flexibility?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I am biassed towards DSX with (11 ch) or without (9 ch) back surrounds. The Denon does this. And there's the room correction capabilities of the Denon also.

, I even would like to try Auro-3D.

OTOH, sound quality and musicality are also key...

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I am biassed towards DSX with (11 ch) or without (9 ch) back surrounds. The Denon does this. And there's the room correction capabilities of the Denon also.

, I even would like to try Auro-3D.

OTOH, sound quality and musicality are also key...
If you want all the bells and whistles then Denon are usually more popular, but if you want pure fidelity then Arcam IMO wins hands downs :)

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
If you want all the bells and whistles then Denon are usually more popular, but if you want pure fidelity then Arcam IMO wins hands downs :)
I am one of those greedy sods who wants quantity AND quality...

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Well sometimes that is when one gets sacrificed and it is usually audio fidelity !
John,
It is so great to see you posting here. Hope all is well with you and yours and welcome back.
Cheers,
J

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hi J, thanks for the welcome, all is good and I hope all is well with you too?

It's been a while :)
Cheers
John
John,
That is awesome you purchased a Panasonic GT50 as well. The UK GT50 offers some neat features like the ability to record HD and things like Freeview/Freesat. The GUI is also different and you get ISF Controls as well.

About the only advantage of the North American GT50 is that it is available in 55, 60, and 65 inch models as well. I ended up getting the 60GT50 in July and it has utterly transformed my HT.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
John,
That is awesome you purchased a Panasonic GT50 as well. The UK GT50 offers some neat features like the ability to record HD and things like Freeview/Freesat. The GUI is also different and you get ISF Controls as well.

About the only advantage of the North American GT50 is that it is available in 55, 60, and 65 inch models as well. I ended up getting the 60GT50 in July and it has utterly transformed my HT.
Cheers,
JJ
Yes JJ, the Panasonic is utterly superb with its picture performance and indeed offers so many tweaks which can be performed, I have the 50" model but another 10" on top must be very very nice!

I watched the Avengers in 3D last night and it does give a great picture and must say I do enjoy the 3D movies more since getting the Panasonic :)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.