Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I like some of the specs on other units, but find the drop in power on the Pioneers when using all 7 channels is annoying.

I don't have a drop in power with my VSX-81TXV. Now I haven't put a meter on it but I don't notice any difference when I calibrate with my SPL meter.

J

·
0 Posts
I don't have a drop in power with my VSX-81TXV. Now I haven't put a meter on it but I don't notice any difference when I calibrate with my SPL meter.[/QUOTE]

I am just going by what I have read in some of the home theater publications. The reviews have stated the VSX 94 txh power drops to less than 100 watts at 0.1 % when all 7 channels are driven, seems to be less than 80 watts. Now just to be fair, all of them drop to some extent. The Onyko drops to about 120 watts per channel, the least that I have read. The Yamaha fell to 55 watts per ch..

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I didn't know that. I would think that the spl meter would show a difference when switching from 5.1 to 7.1. Would be interesting to see what Pioneer say's about this.:foottap: By the way welcome to the forum.........

J

·
0 Posts
I didn't know that. I would think that the spl meter would show a difference when switching from 5.1 to 7.1. Would be interesting to see what Pioneer say's about this.:foottap: By the way welcome to the forum.........
Thanks for the welcome. I would think the meter would show a difference also, but maybe the loss is mainly on the bottom end which needs the most power to drive speakers, and also, maybe the meter takes more of its level measurements from the midrange. It would take a power level meter right at the speaker outputs to get a real reading. I'm sure Pioneer knows this, but it just shows how none of them makers are giving true rating tables when they give out the specs. Much like autos, too many variables to give one true set of horsepower ratings. No one wants to stick to one standard which would tell the truth for all. The Onyko 805 seems like a power house and has many good features, but the Pioneer has the same features with a little less power, but better reliability and a few more inputs, so it comes down to how much power do I really need. The Denon 2808 is out because I read too much negative on the video upconverging and only 110 watts, which also drop down on 7 channels. I also like the various THX settings when offered, and Denon has none. So far, I think if I do an upgrade, it will be to a Pioneer VSX 94, then I will just ebay my VSX 72 and my DVDO ultra. I will at least get part of it back.

S

·
0 Posts
I recently bought the VSX-817-S (We tend to get a bit behind the times here in Oz, moreso when on a budget :)) and so far haven't been able to significantly fault it. Video up and down conversion would have been a nice bonus, but all my peripherals bar the VCR have S-Video anyway, and S-Video to Composite converters are easy and cheap to get.

I haven't had it up to 0dB, nor am I sure I'll ever need or want too! And the ADC 5 speaker set I recently aquired on indefinate loan loves it :) That said, I can't wait to be able to take advantage of the bi-amping feature!

J

·
0 Posts
Well I did some more research and came up with the VSX-92txh would do me just fine, so i just bought one. There is only a +10 watt per channel difference in the 94 as compared to the 92 and I currently have 130 per channel now (supposedly) and it has plenty of volume for me. Not much difference in the rest of the specs from the 94 and it has 3 HDMI upconversion inputs, so I should be fine with it. Comes with a 5 year warranty also. I have been very happy with my last 3 Pioneer receivers so I decided to stay with them.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sounds like a great choice. I am sure you will be happy with it. Let us know if you notice a difference with the 10w uptick, I would think it wouldn't really matter but I am just interested to know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!

I own an Elite VSX-47TX mated with Klipsch reference series speakers. I am VERY pleased with the sonic quality (MOSFET, burr brown DAC’s, massive capacitors and transformer, 63 pounds total mass, and made in Japan-not Malaysia, China, Indonesia, etc.). However, it runs HOT! I had to implement a cooling fan as it runs hotter than my Yamaha MX-1000 Class A amplifier! The 47 is the closest to tube sound I have heard from any mass market solid state receiver (reminiscent of the Yamaha and Sony VFET amplifiers from circa 1979), but with the inherent control that solid state offers. The MCACC deployed is very primitive and does not offer subwoofer correction, but it does equalization of the 7 main channels to within 3 decibels when compared to a non-equalized sample using a RS analog meter and REW. The exception is in the high frequency range; it brightens the 10 kHz and above range considerably. I owned an
Elite VSX-91TXH for almost a month, but returned it after I saw the 47 on e-bay for a fraction of the cost. There is no contest in sound quality between the two, at least not while utilizing the internal amplifiers. However, the MCACC of the 91 is far more advanced and drastically improves the spatial envelopment in DTS/DD use. The overall presentation of the 47 is more convincing, though. The 47 blows the doors off of the 91 in music, no matter what the source. I didn’t think to audition the pre-amp of the 91 using the Yamaha MX-1000 amplifier, so I can only comment on the overall presentation of the receiver. I have also owned Yamaha, Onkyo , Sherwood, and KLH receivers. The closest competition in terms of musicality to the Pioneer Elites are the upper-level Yamahas (different personality, but nearly equally satisfying), although the Yamaha was rather weak in the surround sound-field. The Onkyo I owned was bulletproof and very well rounded, with a long list of features to boot. I was less than impressed with the Newcastle, and would never buy a Sherwood again. The KLH was my very first receiver, and it sounded great for the money, but overheated and died.

I have been thinking of buying an HDMI receiver to use strictly as a pre/pro (I refuse to lose MOSFET, and no one makes them at an affordable price anymore), but this would require a stellar DAC set, and that really limits my options (I’m thinking VSX-72TXV/74TXVi, Onkyo TX-SR805, Yamaha RX-V1700/2700, Denon 3806 et al). Furthermore, it’s hard to justify spending $375-$550 on something I would only use for maybe 45 Blu-Ray/HD-DVD soundtracks. However, if anyone knows of a sweet deal on one of these, or can recommend another receiver with excellent DAC’s, please let me know.

J

·
0 Posts
Before the VSX72, I had a VSX 53 which was a little less power per channel. I think it was 100 watts per channel, I did notice a bit of a difference when the VSX 72 came in with the 130 watt per channel rating, Seemed the dynamic range shows up more when a loud passage came up, like the beginning of some of the DVDs that have that neat promo entry where it starts low and builds, but the VSX 92 is the same 130 per watt rating in power as the VSX 72 which I will be selling on Ebay soon, so I expect to see no difference in power. It comes in Monday, but I sure will mention if I should see a power drop even with the same ratings.
As for playing music, I use a totally different system and only use the Pioneer for my theater system. I like Crown amps for my music system.

J

·
0 Posts
Well I've had this VSX92TXH for a few days now and have been using it occasionally. I found one problem with the HDMI inputs in relation to upconversion, I have a 4DTV sat receiver and it doesn't upconvert the signal from that, in fact it diminishes it and leaves a noticable screen door effect when viewed on my 9' screen. It works better if I just run a Svideo cable from the 4DTV (that is the highest output signal they have on them) to the G70 projector and to the Svideo input. So it means I still need a scaler or DVDO doubler type item to upscale the signal from the sat receiver. I was hoping to get away from that and thin out my equipment. It works fine with my Samsung HDTV H260F OTA receiver and with my Panasonic EZ475 DVR/VHS unit, but also, it doesn't upconvert the VHS tape signal. I noticed something else also, when buying one of these receivers online or from Ebay, be careful on the warranty info, most Ebay sellers are not authorized to give you a Pioneer factory warranty (even if the box has never been opened), and therefore the factory warranty is invalid so it says on the Pioneer paperwork. You need to get a Squaretrade or Repairtech warranty when you buy almost anything electronic. There may be a catch to it also, I noticed mine came with a 3 year warranty and it seems the seller made it sound like it was additional to the original warranty, and it would kick in after the factory warranty goes out in 2 years. But on reading the factory warranty paper, it is invalid so when you fill in the form Repairtech uses to register online, it asks when the original warranty ends in months, if you were to put in 24 months, if the receiver goes out before then, you would have to wait until their warranty kicks in to get it repaired by them, so I put 0 months for original warranty so theirs kicks in right away. I am satisfied with 3 years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was cruising through the receiver forum and found this old thread. I thought I should add my opinion. I have had a few home theater receivers. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-74txvi. I briefly had a loaner VSX-54tx. Years ago I owned an older elite which retailed for 2500K CAD, but I can't recall the name. It had the old AC3 hookup for laser discs. It was a really heavy beast that I got on close out for a really good price. I only replaced it because of features. I don't think I've had as well built of a receiver since. I also owned an Onkyo 575 for 2 years with no complaings.

I really like my current receiver, but will likely need to upgrade so that I can get 1080p switching. I'm currently using a 720p PJ, but will upgrading soon.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
I own the Pio VSX-1016. I've owned it for 2 years. For my purposes I think it's a fantastic receiver... it received good reviews on cnet. I picked it up for a steal after price matching with J&R in NYC.... I don't think any of the other major brands offer it's level of features for the price.

My biggest complaint are the limited crossover controls on main menu - the presets may not be exactly what you are looking for. I'm guessing the Elite series corrects this problem.

That being said, I'm more than happy with my purchase - sad to Pioneer stepping out of the display business. I've really enjoyed my pdp-5070.:sad2:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes VSX-72TXV GREAT UNIT ENDLESS TWEAKS
same as the (VSX-74TX-Vi) with one exception no PC connection/usb interface i love this unit the 72TXV follow me home one day from BB for $220 open box" as i was looking to move up/change to digital/hdmi and it been on elite on all. i have some acurus which i still own

the acurus ACT-3 PRE/PRO,THE A-150 , 100X3 THEY GOOD OLD AMERICAN STANDARDS.
but for the Home Theatre the 72-txv is all i need' as i only use 5.1 at this time i do bi-amping on my front speakers' and switch the receiver to 4 ohms that's real sweet.:jiggy: that been said every time i read the manual i fond something that i didn't know this beast could do. the next upgrade pioneer will be the first brand on my mind

·
Registered
162 Posts
Got the VSX-516 ( Black one ) I didnt buy it with the speaker package I bought it seperate I have had it for about 2 or 3 years now and it is still going strong.. I havent really turned it up much and right now it is hooked to 2 front ( Fisher st-828 ) two side JBL, two rear Pioneer Surround speakers, 1 10 inch yamaha powered sub and Soon to be my home built center channel... But I really like pioneer ( It's whats in my truck as well DEH-2900mp )

·
Registered
10 Posts
My VSX-23TXH is ordered and on the road to be delivered (hopefully) tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting my HT set up and running. I'm matching it with some Energy Take Classic satellite speakers, and an SVS PB10-NSD sub (with BFD to EQ it). The pieces are starting to roll in, and will hopefully have it all put together before the in-laws show up for Thanksgiving. Rock on!

·
Banned
601 Posts
I still have my Pioneer VSX-9300s and still love it for the warm sound (Mosfet transistors). :bigsmile:
And lot of power too (150 watts into 8 ohms at 0.02% THD, two channels driven; and about 250 watts into 4 ohm loads: from the lab tests).
Pioneer is a great company, and their Elite line is superb. And now, with their ICE power (class D amps), good for the environment, and more...

21 - 40 of 131 Posts