Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a VSX-56txi for about 5 years, but finally gave in to the demand for HDMI about 6 months ago and replaced it with a VSX-03TXH.

I really like the Pio Receivers, but for some reason they won't apply PLIIx to a dts track. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Banned
601 Posts
Ya, but it will apply DTS-Neo6, which is the equivalent.

* Same with any other receivers.

** PLIIx is a Dolby Digital proprietary audio mode. DTS has it's own with DTS-Neo6, for DTS without the back surrounds encoded soundtracks. Right? :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ya, but it will apply DTS-Neo6, which is the equivalent.

* Same with any other receivers.

** PLIIx is a Dolby Digital proprietary audio mode. DTS has it's own with DTS-Neo6, for DTS without the back surrounds encoded soundtracks. Right? :)

That's what I thought too for many years, but a few months ago several people told me that you can use PLIIx on DTS tracks (converting 5.1 to 7.1) with most receivers, but not Pioneers. That the fact that one's Dolby and one's DTS doesn't have anything to do with it. Here's an example discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=979272

PS. Neo:6 isn't really the equivalent since IIx converts to 7.1 and Neo:6 only converts to 6.1

·
Banned
601 Posts
My Denon AVR-3805 shows DTS + Neo6, when I play a DTS soundtrack encoded in 5 channels, and that I apply Neo6 on top of it, to derive a 7.1-channel sound.

But if the soundtrack is Dolby Digital, then it shows DD + PLIIx.

Your Pioneer is doing the same. That's just the way it is.

* Oh, I forgot, it also shows if it's Cinema or Music.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have you tried getting PLIIx to work on a dts track.

Other Denon owners get this displayed: DTS + PLIIX CINEMA

I don't think that's just the way it is. PLIIx can work with DD or DTS, but not all receivers work that way.

Oh, and you can't drive 7.1 sound with Neo:6. All 7 speakers will work, but the sound coming out of the two rears will be identical as opposed to true 7.1 where they're independent of each other.

That's the reason I wish my Pio would apply PLIIx to dts tracks, but it won't. Other receivers will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i am planning to buy Pioneer VSX-819H-K from amazon but i was wondering to check with the folks here to get their input as well

sorry i cant post links as of now since i have to get to 5 posts before i can post links :(

·
Registered
303 Posts
i am planning to buy Pioneer VSX-819H-K from amazon but i was wondering to check with the folks here to get their input as well

sorry i cant post links as of now since i have to get to 5 posts before i can post links :(
Unless you're on a very strict budget, I'd go for the 919 for another $100.

Things 919 has that the 819 doesn't:

An extra 10 watts per channel
7 channels vs 5
Advanced MCACC
Standing wave control
X-Curve compensation
More calibration memory modes
SD video adjustment
Digital video converter to HDMI
Aspect Ratio adjust
More surround modes
Headphone surround
Virtual sound in rear
Dialogue Enhancement
Digital Noise Reduction
Album Art capability w/iphone
Color on-screen display
Renamable functions
Better remote.

You might be able to get the 919 from Will2 at videogon.com for less than $300. I have no affiliation with him (other than having purchased from him before), but he's an authorized Pioneer dealer with a store in Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

I don't think that's just the way it is. PLIIx can work with DD or DTS, but not all receivers work that way.

Oh, and you can't drive 7.1 sound with Neo:6. All 7 speakers will work, but the sound coming out of the two rears will be identical as opposed to true 7.1 where they're independent of each other.

That's the reason I wish my Pio would apply PLIIx to dts tracks, but it won't. Other receivers will.
Why would you want to drive a 7.1 encoded disc with neo6 anyway. If it is encoded in 7.1 you would just play it in 7.1 right off the disc. Am I misunderstanding you?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm referring to 5.1 encoded tracks. Standard DD and DTS, not lossless.
Ya, I should have realized that. So some recievers allow you to apply neo6 or plII to 5.1 dts tracks? I know my Elite doesn't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unless you're on a very strict budget, I'd go for the 919 for another $100.

Things 919 has that the 819 doesn't:

An extra 10 watts per channel
7 channels vs 5
Advanced MCACC
Standing wave control
X-Curve compensation
More calibration memory modes
SD video adjustment
Digital video converter to HDMI
Aspect Ratio adjust
More surround modes
Headphone surround
Virtual sound in rear
Dialogue Enhancement
Digital Noise Reduction
Album Art capability w/iphone
Color on-screen display
Renamable functions
Better remote.

You might be able to get the 919 from Will2 at videogon.com for less than $300. I have no affiliation with him (other than having purchased from him before), but he's an authorized Pioneer dealer with a store in Wisconsin.
Thanks for your advice, how can i look for Will2 on that website you mentioned ?

·
Banned
601 Posts

Hi Stew,

I'll give it another shot late tonight. And I will be back to confirm.

* I got you, PLIIx is deriving two different signals in the back surrounds (from the two different signals in the side surrounds), and DTS-Neo6 is deriving only one (the same signal in the two back surrounds) from the two side surrounds. Here we are still talking about a 5.1-channel encoded soundtrack, in both cases.

** And if you're right about Pioneer acting differently than other receivers in that situation,
I don't see the big deal in that. This is the first time I heard of that.
Also, to be frank with you, I don't play DVDs anymore for over two years now, only Blu-rays;
so for me, the point is moot.

*** But, I do understand that your situation might be different. In that case, as I said, I don't see a big deal in that. Every manufacturer has it's own way to implement and tweek their audio.
Also, it could be only a mistake showing in the display, from Pioneer engineers.
You know, it's not the first time; and many receivers from various companies have their perks (flaws).

**** Is that a good reason enough for you to swith brands?

I'll be back & Cheers,
Bob

·
Banned
601 Posts
All right Stew, I just check "Chicago" on DVD with both DD 5.1 & DTS 5.1 soundtracks.

Here's what my Denon receiver says on its front display:

1. With DD 5.1 soundtrack -> If I add PLIIx on top, it says: Dolby D +PLIIx C ('C' for Cinema).

2. With DTS 5.1 soundtrack -> If I add NEO:6 (ES Matrix) on top, it says: DTS + NEO:6

3. With DTS 5.1 soundtrack -> If I add Back Surround(s) (Non Matrix) on top, it only says: DTS
* (but my two back surrounds are active now, in the 'Non Matrix' audio mode.

4. Now, here's the thing you already knew, and that I can definitively confirm:
-> With DTS 5.1 soundtrack, if I add PLIIx on top, it says: DTS + PLIIx C (again 'C' for Cinema).

So here you go.

))) Now, my big question: Is it all the Pioneer A/V Receivers who you cannot apply PLIIx on top of a DTS 5.1-channel soundtrack? And I mean from older models to most recent models?
If yes, is this a flaw, or Pioneer own way to do things at their own discretion?
* Because with Dolby Digital & DTS, there are some Standards that have to apply to all manufacturers.

** But like I said before, no one is impervious to anomalies in their designs; if this is one of them.
There is no such thing as the perfect Receiver, or Amp, or Pre/Pro, etc.

Hope this make you sleep better.

Cheers,
Bob

·
Registered
303 Posts
Also, to be frank with you, I don't play DVDs anymore for over two years now, only Blu-rays;
so for me, the point is moot.
However, PLIIx can still be used with lossless 5.1 audio, correct? So, blu rays with 5.1 DTS-HD MA will play only via 5 speakers if you have a 7 channel set-up (with Pio). Or you could apply Neo:6 to it with Pioneers and get 6.1. You can't, however apply 7.1 if dts is the only track. I hate not being able to use all 7 of the speakers in my HT, because I can really tell the difference.

**** Is that a good reason enough for you to swith brands?
No.

))) Now, my big question: Is it all the Pioneer A/V Receivers who you cannot apply PLIIx on top of a DTS 5.1-channel soundtrack? And I mean from older models to most recent models?
If yes, is this a flaw, or Pioneer own way to do things at their own discretion?
As far as I know, it's with all Pioneers, but I've never heard a reason for it. Just seems weird that they would do it.

Still a great receiver, but I've learned to always use the DD track if both are available and "suffer" through if it's only dts.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Wow! You really dig PLIIx, do you now?

On top of Lossless (not Lossy though) 5.1 audio soundtracks?

* You know Stew, if I will be in your skin, I'll get another A/V Receiver (don't matter the brand, except Pioneer) that allow me to do just exactly what I really want it to do, and stop suffering by missing on those two back surrounds.
Because it is painful in your situation right now, and you need to fix things for yourself, cause it don't seem that Pioneer will.

Just a simple friendly deduction from what you're telling me.

Hey Stew, did you check at other audio forums about this matter?
Are there a lot of people like you aware of this issue?

Regards,
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well for me it really doesn't matter because I rarely use neo or PLII for movies. All that does is matrix the sound anyway and to me is useless. Now for music it's fine if you just want to help fill the room but I don't even use it for that. Also that is not even close to being a good enough reason to change recievers, IMO.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wow! You really dig PLIIx, do you now?

On top of Lossless (not Lossy though) 5.1 audio soundtracks?

* You know Stew, if I will be in your skin, I'll get another A/V Receiver (don't matter the brand, except Pioneer) that allow me to do just exactly what I really want it to do, and stop suffering by missing on those two back surrounds.
Because it is painful in your situation right now, and you need to fix things for yourself, cause it don't seem that Pioneer will.

Just a simple friendly deduction from what you're telling me.

Hey Stew, did you check at other audio forums about this matter?
Are there a lot of people like you aware of this issue?

Regards,
Bob
Yes, I love PLIIx. The difference between 5.1 and 7.1 is very noticeable to me, even with lossless audio (DD True HD + PLIIx is magnificent), because most Blu Rays are still 5.1. However, I've been using pioneer receivers exclusively for almost 10 years, so it's not a deal breaker, just a weird issue.

And yes, I'm a member of 4 or 5 forums and that's how I became aware of it. Up until recently, I thought it was an issue with all receivers (DD vs DTS), like you alluded to earlier. Now that I know the truth, it's a minor quibble, but not enough to cause me to switch.

·
Banned
601 Posts
You know, if I will enumerate all the little flaws (and bigger ones too) in all my receivers over the years,
it would be quite a list.

And I mean with all of them, from all manufacturers (Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer, Rotel, NAD, Sherwood, Harman Kardon, Arcam, etc...).

* Life is a compromise, you choose your poison with the most effective way to do it's 'trick'. Right? Or is it 'magic'?

41 - 60 of 131 Posts