Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've had a VSX-84TXSi for 4 years now. Overall it does a good job. I am using it as a prepro to drive my side/rear surrounds. Bought an Emotiva XPA-3 after the pioneer damaged a tweeter in one of my SVS MTS-01 mains. Will upgrade to a new avr in the near future to get Audyssey XT as it has more functionality then MCACC

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my third Pioneer receiver the first was back in 1980 it was a SX1280. The second was in 1999 it was a Pioneeer CX4000S Stereo Tuner control amp.M-5000 Power amp.PD-F507 compact Disc, Ct-W205R casette Deck. Now i just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-30 about a month ago,it is one sweet unit, the sound and picture that come out of this receiver is great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I still have my good ol' workhorse, the VSX-D906S. I've had that baby since '97 when I bought it brand new at the Camp Foster exchange in Okinawa

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love my Pioneer receivers
First one I got was when I moved out of my parents 16 years ago and took my dads SX-450 then a few years later I bought the SX-980 still have them both and working but I have also added A VSX-1015TX a SC-27 and a SC-09 to my collection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently upgraded from an Elite VSX-53TX to the Elite VSX-23TXH. The difference in sound reproduction between the two is pretty amazing. I use my receiver as a processor only and have separate amps to run my HT speakers. I am not saying the 53 had bad sound but the overall gain from just installation and adjustment required me to turn down every amp including LFE amps. I record gains of almost 10db from the LFE channel before adjusting them down to a reasonable level. The sheer options and adjustments on the 23 should require a course at the local college but after messing with it enough you eventually can figure out what is right for your listen pleasure. I have never recommended any other receiver other than Pioneer and everyone of my close friends are using Pioneer receivers.

As far as the MCACC, I typically let it set up everything but after that I go in and change the speaker gains myself. I very seldom turn the main volume level up to 0db (reference level) so the speakers need to be bump up so I can hang around -20db to -25db level. Just my two cents.

BIG’EN

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had an SC-37 for a few weeks now and absolutely love it! It's got every feature I need for my system, and even a couple that I don't! The power is more than sufficient, and MCACC makes setup a snap. It beats out everything I've owned in the past by a long shot!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had the VSX-21 TXH for almost 2 years now. It currently powers my 5 Tannoy Reveal 6 speakers without a problem. I do not turn it much past -10 when watching movies. The only issue that I have had is the selection automatically switching when I turn it on. It will always switch away from the HDMI input I had it on and go to a port that is not connected. I know that I just have to adjust a setting somewhere. As many of you have said before, there are a million different settings. I like it that way, more things for me to play around with to see what I like. I do not see myself upgrading for some time. The VSX-21 should last a long time before I will need something different.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I have a question about the advanced MCACC on my Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH. Could anyone explain exactly what the EQ frequencies do in terms of instruments, for example i know the 63Hz is for bass, and the 16k is the high pitch symbols and such. Can somebody break the frequencies down for me as to what each frequencie does what instrument? Or voice. Starting low to high what does what for what instrument?
63hz
125hz
250hz
500hz
16k..
Thank you...

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I have a question about the advanced MCACC on my Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH. Could anyone explain exactly what the EQ frequencies do in terms of instruments, for example i know the 63Hz is for bass, and the 16k is the high pitch symbols and such. Can somebody break the frequencies down for me as to what each frequencie does what instrument? Or voice. Starting low to high what does what for what instrument?
63hz
125hz
250hz
500hz
16k..
Thank you...
I'm afraid it's not that simple. For instance, a 5-string/20 fret bass in standard tuning goes from ~30hz to 233hz. With EQ, you shouldn't be looking to accentuate any particular instrument because 1) it impossible to do independent from the other instruments, and 2) the engineer/artist/producer mixed the recording a specific way for a reason: because it sounded good. Instead, the goal with EQ should be to fix your system so that it's response is flat at the listening position, enabling you to hear what the e/a/p heard (assuming their system was also flat).

That being said, if you're curious, here's a chart: http://www.contrabass.com/pages/frequency.html

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I own an SC-05 and love it. My only gripe is that when I plug in headphones to it the pre-amp out to my carver and sub do not cut off so I have to power them off manually. Not a big issues but still.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
First off, thank you, but that's a bit to much info, lol. My system sounds great, i personally like to tweak the snare drum up just a bit, and also need to adjust the voices, some just don't sound right. So would you happen to know which of these frequencies i would try, and for what that particular frequency is for. I didnt see any charts for snare drums on that link, again thank you...

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I'm not super familiar with MACC, so maybe some pio owners can jump in here, but I'd say start with a fresh MACC calibration with the included mic. Make sure that any playing around with speakre placement or acoustic treatments is done before this step.

From there, if the EQ adjustments won't affect other MACC settings, you can EQ to your delight:

Snare Drum: 100 Hz to 12 kHz, center frequency at 1 kHz, tight at 5-6 kHz (typical boost frequency), crack at 8 to 10 kHz, bottom at 100 to 300 Hz and resonance between 800 Hz and 2 kHz. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id12.html

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I'm not super familiar with MACC, so maybe some pio owners can jump in here, but I'd say start with a fresh MACC calibration with the included mic. Make sure that any playing around with speakre placement or acoustic treatments is done before this step.

From there, if the EQ adjustments won't affect other MACC settings, you can EQ to your delight:

Snare Drum: 100 Hz to 12 kHz, center frequency at 1 kHz, tight at 5-6 kHz (typical boost frequency), crack at 8 to 10 kHz, bottom at 100 to 300 Hz and resonance between 800 Hz and 2 kHz. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id12.html
Thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for. :clap:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Yeah i listened to it, as it goes i have that same PB-12 NSD sub hooked to my center channel, I also have two of the SVS PC-13 ultras in my system, so as you can imagine i have plenty of bass power. I just got through tweaking from that earth-link link you put up and WOW i can really hear the difference with just a bit of tweaking. By any chance would you happen to have any more links say for a classic rock listener? Such as vocals. Again, I thank you for your expertise.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I've just made some improvement to voice reproduction using MCACC..
Like instruments..voices cover a whole frequency range as well..and there can also be excessive sibilance, which I find very annoying..
To get better emphasis and projection of voices I boosted the 250 and 500 Hz. levels by 1.5dB..from what MCACC had set..
To reduce sibilance, I lowered the 4K and 8K levels by 1.5dB..

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
1. What model do you have?

I am currently using an Elite VSX21-THX as my primary receiver in my HT. I also have an older Pioneer VSX1016 that I am using to power bass shakers... and in my home gym we have a very basic VSX521 that manages our cable and DVD player in coordination with a small TV and 4 speakers.

2. What are your likes/dis-likes of your receiver?

Really like the VSX21-THX. Does everything I need and seems to have enough power to go to the highest level that we find comfortable. My biggest frustration with the receiver is the documentation for the MCACC. The amount of info in the manual itself is sparse and poorly presented if you want to use advanced options (not to mention there is a separate more detailed "PC software" manual that you have to download --- why they didn't include some of that info with the original manual, IDK). Hand-in-hand with that complaint is the customer support for MCACC. I recently had a question for them... I had 3 reps that couldn't answer my question and finally through an email exchange (where the emailing rep took a few days to hook up a unit and run some tests) was I able to get an answer. His answer was well written and presented --- much better than the manual... but, geese, it took days to get that far with them. Saying that you can call customer support and get an expert answer is far from the truth!

Aside from that little rant :eek:lddude:, I am very happy with the VSX21.

I purchased the VSX21 because my old Pioneer VSX1016 couldn't decode the newer codecs and had limited HDMI capabilities. It was a solid receiver, though, but as technology improved it became evident that buying the VSX21 was a good move!

The VSX521 is brand new. Honestly, it doesn't have very many options (for example, I wanted to hook my old DVD player up to it via component and run sound via optical... in the end, I couldn't do it. The only way possible was to run component with RCA cables for sound). So, some little things like that are kind of annoying. Also, the MCACC is very stripped down in terms of features (not that I needed a ton of those features for my home gym setting). All that being said, I got the receiver using AMEX points and I only needed something very basic. After a few glitches, everything is up and running and I'm happy with it.

3. How many Pio receivers have you owned and have you ever owned different brands before going to Pioneer?

All-in-all, I've owned three Pioneer receivers. Prior to that I had owned Kenwood :rolleyesno: and Onkyo receivers.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I've just made some improvement to voice reproduction using MCACC..
Like instruments..voices cover a whole frequency range as well..and there can also be excessive sibilance, which I find very annoying..
To get better emphasis and projection of voices I boosted the 250 and 500 Hz. levels by 1.5dB..from what MCACC had set..
To reduce sibilance, I lowered the 4K and 8K levels by 1.5dB..
I hope you dont mind, but im gonna copy this down and give it a try on the next movie that the X-curve wont fix, thank you, Don..

81 - 100 of 131 Posts