Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
1. What model do you have?
I have the VSX919

2. What are your likes/dis-likes of your receiver?
The thing I like least about MCACC is that it doesn't do any EQ for the sub..I had to buy a separate unit to tune the sub..
I do the like the adjustable parameters that MCACC provides, but the settings are not always reliable and generally require some manual adjustment..You might say it's a bit of a love /hate relationship! :D

Really like the VSX21-THX. Does everything I need and seems to have enough power to go to the highest level that we find comfortable. My biggest frustration with the receiver is the documentation for the MCACC. The amount of info in the manual itself is sparse and poorly presented if you want to use advanced options (not to mention there is a separate more detailed "PC software" manual that you have to download
I have to agree with you on that..The quality of the instruction manual leaves a lot to be desired and it took me months to begin to understand what it was all about...and I've been involved in HT for a long time!! :eek:lddude:

Also, the MCACC is very stripped down in terms of features (not that I needed a ton of those features for my home gym setting).
I didn't know that some of the MCACC features had been removed in the later models! What have they taken out?

3. How many Pio receivers have you owned and have you ever owned different brands before going to Pioneer?
I've had 3 different Pio models..going right back to the Prologic days!..My previous receiver to the current Pio was a Yammy...Problem with that was the YPAO doesn't give you much adjustment..

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I hope you dont mind, but im gonna copy this down and give it a try on the next movie that the X-curve wont fix, thank you, Don..
You're welcome..I initially had my X curve set at -0.5dB to try and reduce sibilance, but I found the EQ adjustments I made to be more effective..

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
@prof:

I don't think they've removed any features on more expensive models. The vsx512 is one of their cheapest AVRs and as a result they only give you bits and pieces of the MCACC features on their better models.

I wasn't aware of this until I fooled around with the MCACC on the 512. You can't manually EQ, etc.

Like I had said, though, for my application I don't really need the MCACC on this unit. I went in and manually set speaker distances, etc, set the speakers to large (no sub) and I'm leaving it at that! ;-)

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
@prof.

Like I had said, though, for my application I don't really need the MCACC on this unit. I went in and manually set speaker distances, etc, set the speakers to large (no sub) and I'm leaving it at that! ;-)
Setting speaker distances manually is not always accurate because it also incorporates time delays which MCACC takes into account when setting distances..
My sub for instance, has been set at 4.9M., but physically measured it's only 3.2M. away from the seated position!..

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Roger that... In my HT room I have the same situation. My sub setting is about 3.5 ft further away than my mains despite a nearly equal distance from the primary listening position....

I'll pull out the mic and let it do it automatically for my home gym. I only have two small bookshelf speakers and two satellite speakers in there (now I'm curious to see if there is a difference!).

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I would like to say thank you to, Eugovector and Prof., with the information you two gave me i think my system sounds just about perfect, again, thank you for the tips and links.... Don.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
:eek: still going into 2012, thanks everyone!

I did it, upgraded my VSX-816 to the 2012 model VSX-1122, which I have my new Pioneer 5.0 speakers hooked up to. It might not be an Elite but it sure sounds sweet:D.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats on the new avr. I have an SC 35 and could not be more pleased. Sub EQ is my only complaint in the Pioneer avr's. You do have to spend a little time with the manual which is quite large, lol.:boxer:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my SC-37 for about a year, and love it. Once upon a time, I was concerned about the strength of the amp section, but after much research decided to give it a try. I must admit, the ICE amps are very potent. My SC-37 is every bit as capable as my Denon 4806.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own the Pioneer Elite SC-55 and love it. I used to have separates and haven't missed anything in the power department. The class D amps are amazing, even when using low sensitivity speakers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 2. I have an older VSX-912 that I bought used and has been going strong for me for over 6 years. I use it in my 3-season room. When my old Onkyo crapped out, I bought a new VSX-819 about 2 years ago or so. It is also going strong. I use this one to power a modest living room system. The really good part is that when I bought the 912, it did not come with the microphone for the MCACC. However, the 819 did, and it works with the 912.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a Pioneer VSX-53. wondering if this was a great choice. My previous reciever that I had was an onkyo txnr609 and I loved that it was loud and had a little of a softer sound to it.

so far I have been tinkering with the mccac a bit. not use to it. even though its automatic. but for some reason I am not quite satisfied only if i knew this system as good as one of you maybe someone here can shed some light.

I have my specs to what I have in my profile. feel free to let me know how to get this at optimum settings!

if you will need more information like room dimensions, seating distance ill be happy to get that. just let me know what else that im missing thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the shack. I've got an SC-57. I must say its a big step up from my last Pioneer receiver..I think I was the VSX-812 I think... I would say it's a wonderful receiver with some awesome features, but setting it up kinda a pain. I have an Ipad and I mess with the app that Pioneer supplies, but trying to do something simple like increase my bass or treble isn't as simple as I think it should be. :T

·
Registered
6 Posts
I currently own a Pioneer SC-07 AVR which I will keep till it dies. Great receiver. Before that I had a Pioneer THK1194 which also was very good, but I got upgraditis and moved to the SC-07. Before that I had a low end Denon, which just doesn't compare.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I own a Pioneer VSX-53. wondering if this was a great choice. My previous reciever that I had was an onkyo txnr609 and I loved that it was loud and had a little of a softer sound to it.

so far I have been tinkering with the mccac a bit. not use to it. even though its automatic. but for some reason I am not quite satisfied only if i knew this system as good as one of you maybe someone here can shed some light.

I have my specs to what I have in my profile. feel free to let me know how to get this at optimum settings!

if you will need more information like room dimensions, seating distance ill be happy to get that. just let me know what else that im missing thanks in advance!!!
I just purchased a vsx-60 a few weeks ago and I am using it in place of the same Onkyo as you, and I am finding sme of the same challenges. I am already a novice with mccac and feel I need to get used to it but I have had the immediate impression that the Onkyo had a better sound. Of course understanding your model is higher up the chain, I just feel the overall operation was actually better on my Onkyo (remote,OSD options).
I look forward to see how it works out as this receiver is on a trail for a month since my txnr 609 has been in for repair since end of July:paddle: and I may need to find a permanent replacement for it.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
MCACC has many manual adjustments and can take quite sometime to get to know how to use them..

If you calibrate just using "Full Auto", then you are not going to get the best sound from your receiver..
You will most likely find that full auto has set your speakers to the wrong size, and set incorrect levels to the speakers..It also sets reverb delay to a standard delay..which doesn't necessarily suit your room characteristics..

You also have three choices for the sound format..SYMMETRY..ALL CH ADJ...FRONT ALIGN..
MCACC automatically sets it to Symmetry..but that may not be the best setting for your room..Infact most people prefer ALL CH ADJ..as do I..

Then there's the EQ settings..Generally speaking, what MCACC sets in the 8 band equalizer, rarely is optimum for a well balanced front stage..

If you run the test signal for distance spacing between your LCR speakers, you will also find that it needs some adjustment as well..

There are other manual adjustments required as well, so as you can see, there is a lot of manual adjustment required before you will ever get the best sound out of your Pioneer receiver..But when all these adjustments are set right, your receiver will sing!!:D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Prof. said:
MCACC has many manual adjustments and can take quite sometime to get to know how to use them..

If you calibrate just using "Full Auto", then you are not going to get the best sound from your receiver..
You will most likely find that full auto has set your speakers to the wrong size, and set incorrect levels to the speakers..It also sets reverb delay to a standard delay..which doesn't necessarily suit your room characteristics..

You also have three choices for the sound format..SYMMETRY..ALL CH ADJ...FRONT ALIGN..
MCACC automatically sets it to Symmetry..but that may not be the best setting for your room..Infact most people prefer ALL CH ADJ..as do I..

Then there's the EQ settings..Generally speaking, what MCACC sets in the 8 band equalizer, rarely is optimum for a well balanced front stage..

If you run the test signal for distance spacing between your LCR speakers, you will also find that it needs some adjustment as well..

There are other manual adjustments required as well, so as you can see, there is a lot of manual adjustment required before you will ever get the best sound out of your Pioneer receiver..But when all these adjustments are set right, your receiver will sing!!:D
Sounds like you have a lot of practice with mcacc. Any chance you'd have time to write us a FAQ on it?

101 - 120 of 131 Posts