Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a newbie here..

I still have an old projector Sony VPH-1292Q,
is there any reason people will still prefer this kind of CRT projectors compared to new, compact projectors. Does my old projector is better in any way? (resolution, contrast, etc?)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I actually still have 2 high end CRT projectors, they are generally loved for the contrast ratio and being able to do a true black.

That said, they are heavy, energy hogs and need to be maintained. The 1292 was a 9" CRT projector but I believe it was ES focus not EM so edge focus was not as good as the later G90 or other 9" CRTs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I still have a Barco Graphics 808 CRT projector utilizing HD fury III AND gammaX. The
picture is still awesome playing HD from my Oppo BDP-83SE blueray player. When the
quality of the picture is no longer excellent I would buy the latest LED digital projector.
Lamp based digital projectors are good for a short period of time, but one has to
relamp the projector every 500 hours to maintain brightness. To get the same kind
of quality picture that I am getting with the Barco, would cost a considerable amount.

Attachments

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Lamp based digital projectors are good for a short period of time, but one has to
relamp the projector every 500 hours to maintain brightness. To get the same kind
of quality picture that I am getting with the Barco, would cost a considerable amount.
Do you mean that you have to relamp every 500 hours to match a CRT's brightness? Because you most certainly do not have to relamp every 500 hours. :rolleyesno: More like 2000 or more depending upon your model and your luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I stand corrected, but 2000 hours seems like a lot on one bulb. I still prefer my
Barco CRT for its great contrast and overall picture quality. The latest LED based
digital projectors have more than 20,000 hours without much drop in brightness. If
I buy a new digital projector this seems to be the way to go. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do you mean that you have to relamp every 500 hours to match a CRT's brightness? Because you most certainly do not have to relamp every 500 hours. :rolleyesno: More like 2000 or more depending upon your model and your luck.
Image brightness requirements and performance depend on many issues: screen size, screen type, projector model, ambient lighting conditions, viewing preferences, etc. CRTs have strong points and weak points, just like any other display device. Committing to install one in a system should be thought through in detail. A used CRT may not be capable of reference brightness on a screen much larger than 6 ft. wide without replacing the tubes. CRTs that are not liquid coupled will likely not be capable of superior black levels/contrast.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts