Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for different kits to use and have finally narrowed it down to the following specs:

Driver: Peerless SLS 10" No. P830668
Alignment: Closed at 42 - 60 liters
Amplifier: Zachry DSW-150

Any thoughts would be great! I was wondering though if the amplifier is big enough. It seems too small to me 70W at 8 Ohms. I was also wondering what volume would be best given the range I am deciding between.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think if you provide some more information some guys here can help you out.

Is this sub for home theater, music or your car?
Have you decided for sure you want to build a sealed sub?
What are your size constraints?

Post a link to your suggested sub and amp (in english please, already tried to find it but only got other languages) so we don't have to browse the internet for it to find specs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I wasn't sure what information was useful and needed. I didn't even think about that the amplifier might be an unknown brand, sorry...

I want to use the subwoofer mainly for home theater but I do listen to music also, so it would be needing to be a combination of the two genre. I live in an apartment and don't have a tremendous amount of space for a sub, that was what got me to think the Peerless SLS 10" might work well. I got a hold of some application notes for the driver and there it stated that it would work well in a smaller closed alignment, even as small as 42 liter. Given the space I have available I thought I could make it a little bigger if that would be better but 60 liters is about the maximum volume I have room for.

I found the driver in WinISD, but found myself a little overwhelmed by all of the unfamiliar terminology. All in all from what I saw in WinISD it could work well, but wanted to get help to have more trained eyes give pointers and others aspects that I might have (most likely have :) ) missed. Thanks again!

Driver: Peerless SLS 10" P830668 (Is in WinISD)

T-S Parameters

Resonance Frequency fs 33.3 Hz
Mechanical Q factor Qms 4.85
Electrical Q factor Qes 0.57
Total Q factor Qts 0.51
Force factor Bl 10.2 Tm
Mechanical resistance Rms 2.2 Kg/s
Moving mass Mms 51.1 g
Suspension compliance Cms 0.45 mm/N
Effective cone diameter D 20.7 cm
Effective piston area Sd 335 cm2
Equivalent volume Vas 69.3 ltrs
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 88.7 dB
Ratio BL/√(Re) 4.3
Ratio fs/Qts F 65

Amplifier: Zachry DSW-150

Rating: 120W at 4Ohm/70W at 8 Ohm
Crossover: 40-180Hz
Phase Adjustment: 0/180°
Lowpass filter: RCA
Highpass filter: Yes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a very good question!! The specs I put in my reply were from the datasheet, but I have been relying on the purchase site/WinISD specs. My guess would be the older specs, since the place I would be buying them from still have few on the shelf. I'll email the site and ask.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What should I look for in a driver for a good trade off between size and low-end response? Any suggestions as to which driver could work well?

Thanks again for the help!! Seeing the graph you made helps me understand that I was putting in things correctly in WinISP, also helps me interpret the graph...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've played around in WinISD and have gotten the following results. After playing with volume a little bit I took out the tape measure and started playing with different sizes. I finally came up with that I can put up with doubling the size of the enclosure and have therefore changed to 100 liters instead of 50. I've even upped the amp to the next size in the Zachary line and therefore am putting in 110W instead of only 70W.

But one other question I have is the filter. I have put in a Highpass Butterworth 2nd order with cutoff at 18 Hz, is this the correct type of filter? Will I still have the SPL dip after about 110 Hz? Thanks again for all of the help...

I forgot all about the passive radiators... how do you model them in WinISD?? This is without the radiators...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured out how to model passive radiators and have played around with WinISD. This is what I came up with for a 12" subwoofer. It would be a 100 liter enclosure with a Peerless 12" SLS driver and 2 CSS APR12 Passive Radiators.

I think it looks good but would like some trained eyes to look at the graph and double check it for me... The yellow graph is the same driver in a 100 liter enclosure without anything else.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after having a bit of fun, it is irrefutably true that the Quartet12B build out performs the Peerless hands down!! I've almost already made up my mind that I don't care how much the shipping is... almost, it could hurt quite a bit if they choose to slap customs on this or not...

At any rate this was a good way how to learn to get used to the different parts of modeling a subwoofer. Now only the task remains of what should be put in the enclosure besides the driver and passive radiators, if anything. If I get the Quartet12B kit then all of that will be outlined, but if one is not building a kit what should one think of in putting into the enclosure? Oh yeah, I was going to biscuit join the enclosure, that should work well right?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've gotten back answers for both the Peerless and the Quartet12B kit. The Peerless driver has the updated specs as per the datasheet, but I gone away from that idea. The amp in the Quartet12B kit cannot handle 240 VAC @ 50 Hz, bummer. I've done some looking around and cannot find a 500W plate amp here anywhere, but I happened to come across the O Audio 500W Bash amp and they have good shipping rates too. Anybody have any experience with this amp?

http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

So it looks like I will be ordering the TRIO12 and 2 APR12 and this amp if there aren't any other suggestions to consider...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ran into a snag with the amp. The O Audio 500W won't be available until mid-january and I am deciding what to do. I could choose to get the 300W version, but am not sure if that would be enough to drive a CSS TRIO12 and two front speakers. The Trio12 is rated at 350W (700W peak) and each of the front speakers has a max of 100W each. I could just wait (not fun though...) I really want a BASH amp, but any suggestions as to other readily available, comparable amps that run at 240 Vac and 50 Hz?

Thanks again for all the help!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts