Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using a white painted wall for projection in my home theater. I am a DIY guy so I always assumed I would paint my own screen...cream n' sugar or black widow etc. I did some research on HTS. At the moment my projector is the humble Panasonic AX200u screen is 100" with a 16 ft throw and I sit about 10 feet away.

But I came across an interesting product. It's an acoustically transparent screen. And they sell the material precision cut with grommets if you want to make your own frame. I've worried a lot about my center channel speaker being too low in my setup, as I like the screen fairly low. An AT screen would remedy that.

I was looking at Seymour Screens Center Stage UF...does anyone have suggestions for other manufacturers of an AT diy frame system? How about pros and cons of fixed frame vs painting?

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
I am using the SeymourAv XD AT screen and I love it. I paid a little bit more and had them install grommets but there are other methods others have used for less money. I went with the grommets since I was going to use extruded aluminum for the frame. It turned out to be very easy to make and I am not noticing any loss of audio quality from the screen. I highly recommend SeymourAV screens. :T

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Ron. Thanks for the input.

I am now seriously considering that Seymour screen as my next HT upgrade. I guess if I get the screen now, I will buy me some time before the projector upgrade...after which I will be "done" with the HT.

I will definitely have them install the grommets, too. I saw something on their site about a "trampoline" type fastening system with the grommets and O rings. Sign me up.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
OK Ron. Thanks for the input.

I am now seriously considering that Seymour screen as my next HT upgrade. I guess if I get the screen now, I will buy me some time before the projector upgrade...after which I will be "done" with the HT.

I will definitely have them install the grommets, too. I saw something on their site about a "trampoline" type fastening system with the grommets and O rings. Sign me up.
The silicone O-rings are real easy to install, and go very quickly. The other way some people do is to make a wooden frame and attach the screen to the frame like you would a window screen to its frame. Some people say this is a bit cheaper to do. I went with the extruded aluminum because I could do it all by myself with just a screwdriver. :T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wife and I build our own AT screen some years back, uses Phifer Shearweave 4500 material stapled to a frame made of 2x4's. Mounted the material at an angle to make sure there were no Moire effects. Looks and sounds great, don't hear any treble attenuation at all. Having the center speaker behind the screen is essential for me now.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/984481-phifer-sheer-weave-4500-a.html

An using Fusion-12 Tempest speakers for L, C & R. Have the L & R speakers at the side of the screen as these speakers throw a huge sound stage so might as well make use of that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, raising the center channel is one of those AHA! moments.

Thanks for the link Hardeng, but I can't see the pictures in the thread.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm using the Seymour XD screen material. Have him send you a free sample and see if the weave or moire is noticable at 10 feet. On bright scenes with lots of white I can see the weave at 10'. Some people can't. If you don't have any moire effect without the material tilted, you can save yourself some money buying less material.

Most people don't notice the weave, and even though I can sometimes. The sound is better all of the time, so It's worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm also looking for a AT Screen, I've been looking at Elite Screens. Does anyone have any experience with their screens?

Or if you have another brand, is there a material that would be better for 4k projectors? I'm worried about have a very noticeable moire pattern

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
I'm also looking for a AT Screen, I've been looking at Elite Screens. Does anyone have any experience with their screens?

Or if you have another brand, is there a material that would be better for 4k projectors? I'm worried about have a very noticeable moire pattern
I am using the SeymourAV 180" wide screen (195" diagonal), and I have zero problems with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently installed an 108" EluneVision Reference 4K acoustically transparent screen in our new theatre. I previously had the non-AC version, and was very happy with it. The new theatre has width limitations so an AC screen seemed like the best option. I stuck with EluneVision since they offered upgrade pricing.

I am more or less happy with the screen. I have two rows of seating - 1 at 9.5 feet and the other at 15.5 feet. On bright scenes where there is lots of white I can see the weave. EluneVision claims its it not noticeable at 8', but I think you'd have to be near blind not to notice it. Granted, my wife hasn't mentioned ever seeing it so it may not be real noticeable to people who don't know it's there.

Other than that, the build quality of the frame is solid. I am using it in conjunction with a Carada Horizontal masking system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am using the SeymourAV 180" wide screen (195" diagonal), and I have zero problems with it.
Wow, 195 diagonal!!! I thought my screen was big. I'll have to check your room thread.

I'm currently really close to pulling the trigger on a Falcon Horizon AT screen. I hope I don't lose the razor sharp focus that I get on my DIY painted wall, I feel like when text is on the screen my wall is sharper than I've seen in other rooms that have the same projector.

I gotta do it though, I recently put my center channel up vertically how it is supposed to be and the audio improvement is NOT subtle.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Wow, 195 diagonal!!! I thought my screen was big. I'll have to check your room thread.

I'm currently really close to pulling the trigger on a Falcon Horizon AT screen. I hope I don't lose the razor sharp focus that I get on my DIY painted wall, I feel like when text is on the screen my wall is sharper than I've seen in other rooms that have the same projector.

I gotta do it though, I recently put my center channel up vertically how it is supposed to be and the audio improvement is NOT subtle.
We are only using 188" of the screen in scope... Picture looks great! I am pretty sure you will love your new screen too. :T

1 - 14 of 14 Posts