Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so with Atmos and DTS-x becoming more common is it really worth the upgrade at home?
Ok let me clarify, I am not taking going from a so so system to a full upgrade including new speakers all around Im saying for someone who already has a great system just no overhead Atmos speakers. Is it really worth getting a new receiver that supports it?

Ive been to only one Atmos movie in the theater and it was underwhelming. I still enjoy movies at home much more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like you, I go to the movies and say "Can't wait to hear this at home..." That being said you should audition an intimate Dolby Atmos setup. When I heard it at an audio show (In a hotel room with all the furniture removed)
It sounded SO much better than a theater. I was really able to look at a point in the room where I thought that sound was coming from.
If you have the right room and the budget, I recommend it.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
At this point in the technologies evolution I'm not even thinking about it. I'm not a version 1.0 guy because I've often encountered frustrating issues. I wait for the first update myself. If you have a nice system that you really like it may not be worth starting over again until there's a compelling reason to do so. Like available media for example, of which there's little at the moment.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Tony - I've had very ho-hum Atmos experiences at commercial cinemas... But at home, wow, what an impactful technology. It's fantastic and completely worth the upgrade, IMO. It adds a dimension to sound that is like nothing we've ever had access to in the home - I can almost guarantee that if you heard the first 20 minutes of Gravity (diamond luxe ed), you'd be sold. The key is getting the configuration right. A few months ago I wrote a piece about Atmos that included recommendation/comments from THX testers. Of course, their advice might have its own holes, I'm sure, but they have quite a bit of testing data to make their advice worth paying attention to...Which is basically a full 7.1 multichannel system with two top front and two top middle ceiling channels for height.

I can dig up a link when I get home.

On a side note... As great as Atmos sounds, I heard an Auro 3D demo at CEDIA that was mind blowing. IMO, it was more impressive than the best Atmos I've heard. I wish A-3D had more traction in our hemisphere...they are trying to lay inroads, but battling Dolby and DTS on their own turf is tough.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
Oh lovely, another BETA versus VHS battle? In that one the inferior platform - VHS - won out. Let's hope this one goes our way.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I guess when I do some renovations to the theater (soon) I will add the speakers so Im at least ready for it when I upgrade the receiver. Im just happy with the Onkyo 805 and my current speaker setup/room that its hard to imagine better except maybe another sub. :spend:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh lovely, another BETA versus VHS battle? In that one the inferior platform - VHS - won out.
Agree, lets hope cassette tapes dont make a great comeback like some are saying.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Oh lovely, another BETA versus VHS battle? In that one the inferior platform - VHS - won out. Let's hope this one goes our way.
Could be... Both require different speaker configurations. The good news is that DTS-X "supposedly" will work with any speaker configuration. Of course, DTS-X is vaporware at this point...

Definitely wire speakers... Or at least run wires for likely speaker locations... Will make your life waaaay easier down the road ;-)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'm a man who could care less what my "theater" looks like... I'm all about performance. You will see wires... diffusion panels... etc.. all over my room.

Right now... atmos and the other stuff is on the back burner... I will upgrade when 100% of the movies released contain these audio tracks... till then who knows what will stick and/or dominate. Obviously they are not going anywhere because they are major players in the audio world for these tracks but it's not matured enough yet....

but when they do... I will run some PVC along the wall up the ceiling and run some cabling through it and mount the speaker anywhere I wish to because you just simply cannot predict which spot will sound the best... I may paint the pvc the same color as the walls but i'm not going to let asthetics take place of performance. I've seen some fancy home theaters that were all oooooohhhhhh and aaaaaahhhhhh but sounded very poor... ppfff who cares.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that is good info :T

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The big thing you get moving to atmos is that you'll be using object oriented sound. It's a much closer translation to the original cinema score.

Atmos is going to be a thing because it will reduce turn time for disc releases; because less mixes have to be made.

My impression installing atmos has been mixed. The reflected atmos systems don't give the impression of space that the addition of ceiling/hight channels do. That said it does still raise the level of immersion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The big thing you get moving to atmos is that you'll be using object oriented sound. It's a much closer translation to the original cinema score.

Atmos is going to be a thing because it will reduce turn time for disc releases; because less mixes have to be made.

My impression installing atmos has been mixed. The reflected atmos systems don't give the impression of space that the addition of ceiling/hight channels do. That said it does still raise the level of immersion.
This is exactly what I experienced going from a very good JBL speaker based Denon 7.1 system to a very good Klipsch speaker Yamaha Atmos 9.1 system. The difference is subtle during stock 5.1 and 7.1 but definitely more immersive while viewing Atmos material. Upgradeing from a 50 inch Panasonic to a new LG 60" UF7700 seems to help in that respect also. :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hope you have a magnifying glass to go with that screen size. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tony,

You are asking the right question but I thing it is too soon. Atmos is king now but that might not be the case tomorrow. I would wait and see which tech wins out or choose the one that will work best in your room.
Auro 3D or DTS-X might work better in your room as you just can add height speakers with one ceiling speakers.

I'm willing to bring over some of my Mission speakers to try out for the rear but you might have a little bit of trouble matching the front LCR.

In the long run I would hate to setup a Atmos system today only to have DTS-X take over tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
true, I think I would simply mount some good speakers in the ceiling above the seating and whatever format wins the speakers should do the job. I may hold off upgrading the receiver till some time next fall as by then hopefully something more clear will be in place.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

Agree, lets hope cassette tapes dont make a great comeback like some are saying.

Glad to see I'm in good company. Thought I was the odd-man-out in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
My fear for auro 3D is that by the time it gets any traction, atmos and DTS-X will be the status quo, and there won't be room for it, and most people won't want to hear about "another" surround sound thingy. Tony, I would think it worth the upgrade, and almost a no brainier if you don't have to move a mountain to do it. My space has 12 can lights and 2 AC vents, in a vaulted ceiling. Can't quite get my wife to believe that I need to add 2 or 4 more speakers up there! I haven't heard a real demo yet, but the core tracks have proven very good for imaging and placement. Someday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am digging Atmos, but not digging at repurchasing "atmos" blurays movies to replace my blus I already got. Talk about getting pinched twice! ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts