Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that VUDU only has Atmos with UHD streams. If this is true, even though you may have an Atmos receiver and own a UHD movie on VUDU, you cannot access the Atmos version of the audio (since HDX does not include Atmos from everything I can see). Am I missing something here? I have already emailed VUDU tech support, but have not heard back yet.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
IMO, streaming UHD is a waste of time because of the issues you mentioned... just get a Samsung UBD-K8500 and rent UHD movies from Netflix....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO, streaming UHD is a waste of time because of the issues you mentioned... just get a Samsung UBD-K8500 and rent UHD movies from Netflix....
I think you may have misread my post. I do not have a 4K projector so I cannot use UHD. I do have an Atmos receiver / speaker configuration so I do want the Atmos audio.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
What he was saying is that if you were using a bluray or UHD bluray player instead of streaming VUDU, the Atmos tracks would come through no problem.

I've been using www.store-3d-blurayrental.com for a while now in lieu of a Netflix disc subscription.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What he was saying is that if you were using a bluray or UHD bluray player instead of streaming VUDU, the Atmos tracks would come through no problem.

I've been using www.store-3d-blurayrental.com for a while now in lieu of a Netflix disc subscription.
Ah, got it. When I re-read it again now, I guess it makes sense that that is what he was saying. I guess it did not read that way to me because my whole point is that I am trying to get Atmos audio from VUDU (or any other streaming service). I am keenly aware that I can put a Blu-ray disc in and get Atmos audio (that is what I am doing now that I am trying to get away from).

Thank you for your input, I will check out that site as well, but I really want movies to have in a library without having a huge cabinet of discs.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I think the issue will remain with streaming is that you're limited by the flexibility of the content provider

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't have an Atmos/DTS:X capable processor, nor do I plan on installing ceiling speakers, in other words I'm not interested in immersive sound in my current home and quite happy with my 7.2 setup. What I am interested in is the 4K/HDR video that I'm now getting with an Oppo UDP-203/Amazon/Netflix, so streaming 4K/HDR content in my situation is completely worthwhile.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I don't have an Atmos/DTS:X capable processor, nor do I plan on installing ceiling speakers, in other words I'm not interested in immersive sound in my current home and quite happy with my 7.2 setup. What I am interested in is the 4K/HDR video that I'm now getting with an Oppo UDP-203/Amazon/Netflix, so streaming 4K/HDR content in my situation is completely worthwhile.
I agree with you.

My oldish AVR doesn't do Atmos, either, but my guess is my 5.1.2 sound field is 50% of the way there anyway with neo:X and Audyssey DSX. I wouldn't want to add more speakers, I'm already pushing the limits of WAF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts