Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Yamaha Owners try this with your amp

You need full range front speakers!

Set your amp to use both Front & Sub and the sub cross over at 80Hz.

Play a Movie like Lord of the rings with lots of bass. Now switch your sub off & play the same track & hear how little bass goes to your fronts!!

Now set your amp to play bass only through your fronts & hear the difference!!

Why does Yamaha not allow bass through the sub & fronts.

Your feed back I look forward to!

I have a Yamaha RXV 1400 and have hated this for years - used the front pre outs to my sub for best bass response.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am not really clear on what you are saying, but Yamaha works no differently than most other AVRs in this regard. If you want the bass to go to your front speakers set them to large.

Please clarify your post and be more clear about where you feel you are losing bass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you set the Yamaha to large front speakers & then set the amp to use both the sub & mains - what ever you set the cross over at it passes to the sub & not the fronts.

You don't get full range on the fronts.

If you have a yahama try it ;)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If you set the Yamaha to large front speakers & then set the amp to use both the sub & mains - what ever you set the cross over at it passes to the sub & not the fronts.

You don't get full range on the fronts.

If you have a yahama try it ;)
That's really odd ....:scratch:

I own the RXV-2700, I used REW to calibrate the system ...I did what you're suggesting and got the graphs to compare each response :yes:

At least my AVR worked fine, I got the response right with every setup...but the final and best setup in my HT was sending the bass output to sub (not sub and mains) and front speakers set to large.

I'm sure that when you said:" set the amp to use both sub and mains" you mean ...set up the bass output to mains/fronts and sub, Right???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least my AVR worked fine, I got the response right with every setup...but the final and best setup in my HT was sending the bass output to sub (not sub and mains) and front speakers set to large.

I'm sure that when you said:" set the amp to use both sub and mains" you mean ...set up the bass output to mains/fronts and sub, Right???
How did that work? just setting the bass to the sub? did you get full range on the fronts?

I found the disc & why it is setup or recorded could be the main issue

IronMan BluRay - very little to no bass on my fronts - sub works over time!!! Faithless music DVD main go so low makes windows rattle!!

Yea if you set - bass output to mains/fronts and sub.

I hate the fact the the LFE channel can not be sent to the fronts & sub!!!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
How did that work? just setting the bass to the sub? did you get full range on the fronts?
If you set your fronts to LARGE....yes.

I found the disc & why it is setup or recorded could be the main issue
That's true ...there's some DVD's/CD's that don't have a lot of bass.

IronMan BluRay - very little to no bass on my fronts - sub works over time!!! Faithless music DVD main go so low makes windows rattle!!
Check your settings ...Did you set to fronts as Large???

I hate the fact the the LFE channel can not be sent to the fronts & sub!!!
:unbelievable: ....I'm sure you missed this part on the manual (Pag 50 LFE/Bass Out), you have the option to send that signal to SWFR, Fronts or Both; like I said, after comparing those settings using REW, the best response (in my case) was sending that signal to SWFR and fronts sets as Large.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What Bluray/DVD player are you using? Some like my Samsung have settings for the speaker levels in its menu as well. Dubble check your BluRay player to make sure that you dont have the speakers set to "small" in that menu as then it would not matter what your receiver is doing the BlyRay player wont alow the lows to go to the mains.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With your Yamaha does your sub work when playing a cd or just your fronts?

Been playing around some more & the manual says clearly if you have large it sends bass to the fronts - but LFE to the LFE channel, does not send LFE to the fronts - only if you sellect small does it merge both and sends bass & LFE to the Sub!!

seems when discs are recorded they meant for subs!

check my pics out of my system - I use my HTPC using multi in.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-gallery/18299-my-home-theater-setup.html

If I play a cd nothing goes to the sub all bass goes to the fronts.

I think the best bass result is to choose large fronts only & run the sub off the fronts and tell the amp one has no sub. I wonder if it would send the LFE to the fronts??

what you need to do to test is put your sub on & off & hear the differenec - but you need to know how low your front's go - they need to at least go to 30 Hz to really understand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
best response (in my case) was sending that signal to SWFR and fronts sets as Large.
What did you use as a test disk??

Take any movie with lots of Base - DTS sound track & try the same thing - turn the sub off & see if you can hear how much bass you don't get! if you got full range speakers you should hear how much is cut off not sent to them - with your settings.

once you tried with the movie, play in stereo some low bass stuff - music "PCM" and then hear how low your speakers play. with no sub!

let me know how it goes

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
With your Yamaha does your sub work when playing a cd or just your fronts?
Depends on the mode I use...if I choose Straight the sub doesn't get a lot of signal; but when I choose Stereo or enhanced stereo is different (A lot of bass).

...the manual says clearly if you have large it sends bass to the fronts - but LFE to the LFE channel, does not send LFE to the fronts - only if you sellect small does it merge both and sends bass & LFE to the Sub!!
If you set the speakers as Large (fronts in this case), yes, they will get the full signal, but if any speaker is set to small (front, center, surrounds) the AVR will redirect the signal below the crossover point of that speaker to the designated bass output (SWFR, FRONTS or BOTH).

So, if you want the fronts to also play the LFE signal, you need to set the bass output on the AVR to either Front or Both (if you want SWFR and Fronts).

If I play a cd nothing goes to the sub all bass goes to the fronts.
Try different modes (I use 7 Channel enhanced).

I think the best bass result is to choose large fronts only & run the sub off the fronts and tell the amp one has no sub. I wonder if it would send the LFE to the fronts??
If you set the AVR to send the bass output to the front ...it will.

what you need to do to test is put your sub on & off & hear the difference - but you need to know how low your front's go - they need to at least go to 30 Hz to really understand.
Believe me, I've done some testing/playing with the speakers and subs :yes:...my fronts go down to 35Hz and my Silo sub to 10Hz???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the manual - have a read! see they very clear about the LFE channel

using both - uses LFE which is sent to the sub makes sense - just suxs if you don't have a great sub

See the cross over lowest is 40Hz which is not low - my fronts go down to 25Hz!!!!

thats the issue!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
What did you use as a test disk??
I have DVE...but I'm not sure if you're familiar with our REW program; that's what I used to measure the response of every speaker and the whole HT system; here is link in case you want to play with it http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Take any movie with lots of Base - DTS sound track & try the same thing ...
You mean....War of the Worlds, Transformers, U-571, Finding Nemo (Tala tap the tank), Master and Commander...to mention a few???

I did some test with those movies, my reference volume level was set at -5.0db; I used the volume at -20.0db and SPL on hand I played some chapters on those movies....my readings where between 106db and 115db; I can't imagine playing them at reference levels :scared:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think I know what your problem is PC sound cards have a built in filter that rolls off the lows to the main channels and this can not be disabled. If all your media is passed through your PC first this would explain why your having this issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL

I believe in feeling the music!!! I play my stuff as loud as it can go!

4 x Cerwin 15" which play loud with 10 watts & I use 400 watts into each channel!!

But it's the control not how loud it goes that I enjoy - you can feel the bass it's alittle over the top!!!

one can never have to much power!! ever :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I know what your problem is PC sound cards have a built in filter that rolls off the lows to the main channels and this can not be disabled. If all your media is passed through your PC first this would explain why your having this issue.
No it's an Yamaha issue check the manual out with the cross over - that can't be changed! it's hard coded.

My pc runs full range, it does the same with my PS3

also playing music in 7 channel is really not great!

A sub is also for music with low Hz's - it's silly to use an amp cross over subs have them built in why not let the sub do the work??? or make it full on the fronts & cross over only affect the LFE channel!!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Here is the manual - have a read! see they very clear about the LFE channel

using both - uses LFE which is sent to the sub makes sense - just suxs if you don't have a great sub.

See the cross over lowest is 40Hz which is not low - my fronts go down to 25Hz!!!!

thats the issue!
What subs are you using???....if they can't play the low hertz you need new ones.

LFE is present mostly in DVD's not in CD's....if I were you I use the different memories on your AVR to set different settings; one for movies and another for music (that's what I have now, memory 1 in Straight mode for movies and for music (radio or CD) memory 2 in 7 channel enhanced).

If your speakers go down to 25Hz, I set them as large forget about the 40Hz crossover...:yes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a cerwin 15" Sub & a mordaunt Short Sub Performance 9

The Performance 9 is really good - fast bass & moves lots of air!

They both great & good.

just would be nice to have full control of what signal goes where!! not happy that my fronts are not used for low bass! I got the power & speakers for it.

& I can't afford another Mordaunt Short sub now!

Hay are there projects on how to make a transducer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your speakers go down to 25Hz, I set them as large forget about the 40Hz crossover...:yes:
oh if you use a sub you don't have a choice have to use the cross over!

hay try set your cross over to 200 Hz see what you get out your fronts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
...also playing music in 7 channel is really not great!
Do you have 7 channel enhanced??? ...try it.

Music won't play that great if the source was not mastered right (I have some CD's that sound really good and other bad).

A sub is also for music with low Hz's - it's silly to use an amp cross over subs have them built in why not let the sub do the work??? or make it full on the fronts & cross over only affect the LFE channel!!
To let the sub do the crossover work use the speaker terminals to connect the sub to AVR (don't use sub out/LFE), then connect the speakers through the sub and set the AVR to send the signal to front speakers full range and bass output to fronts.

What do you mean: "...crossover only affect the LFE channel"???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree about cd quality

I am an old Krell Boy with Ruark Speakers them where the days :)

What I do it set my source to stereo & then tell it to play on 5.1 which is "7 channel stereo"

I am saying that the Yamaha cross over affects the mains & LFE, try it set your Yamaha cross over to 200Hz :)

What they should have done is made fronts get "full" range and the cross over only affect the LFE channel

1 - 20 of 34 Posts