Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently DIY speaker build, my first. so now want to take some measurements.

i have a Roland Quad-Capture interface into computer and dayton EMM-6 microphone. put a loop back patch cable on input 1L and output 1L. Microphone into input 1R and speaker cable to output 1R.

never could get the output to get any sound to the speaker, though the KRK rokit5 powered speakers work with the Roland.

i guess now i should have REW generate a Pink Noise file and burn that to CD and play it through a denon amp to my speakers and measure that way?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
i have a Roland Quad-Capture interface into computer and dayton EMM-6 microphone. put a loop back patch cable on input 1L and output 1L. Microphone into input 1R and speaker cable to output 1R.
The loopback cable is only supposed in place long enough to perform the loopback measurement. After that, remove it.

Are you saying you have your speaker connected directly to the sound card? You can’t do that!

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The loopback cable is only supposed in place long enough to perform the loopback measurement. After that, remove it.

Are you saying you have your speaker connected directly to the sound card? You can’t do that!

Regards,
Wayne
wow, my apologies for not getting back sooner. i thought i had clicked "submit" a few days ago to reply but i guess i didn't or it was because i had a url in the reply like below. i'll try it this way.

thanks for your reply.

i'll remove the loopback cable, didn't realize that.

the speaker i want to test, i had it connected to the ouput on the roland quad-capture audio-interface. this item: roland com/products/quad-capture/

the ouputs on that audio interface send sound fine to the rokit 5 powered studio monitors.

i was trying to follow along on a youtube "measuring loudspeakers" tutorial. i thought, that it mentioned, for the loudspeaker to test, to connect it to the audio interface output.

is that this audio interface can't fireup non-powered speakers?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Any sound card that had audio outputs can run powered speakers. Make sure it has the monitor set for “off” or for “computer.” If that doesn’t get it, more likely it’s a problem with the sound card not being compatible with REW. Try doing a search to see if someone else here has successfully used your sound card. If all else fails, get something mentioned in the REW Sound Card Database sticky thread.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any sound card that had audio outputs can run powered speakers. Make sure it has the monitor set for “off” or for “computer.” If that doesn’t get it, more likely it’s a problem with the sound card not being compatible with REW. Try doing a search to see if someone else here has successfully used your sound card. If all else fails, get something mentioned in the REW Sound Card Database sticky thread.

Regards,
Wayne
the speakers (non-powered) i want to play the pink noise that REW generates aren't playing via this sound interface, that's sort of the problem. it plays the powered speakers fine. or i could make a pink noise sound file and play it through the denon avr and record the speaker that way i guess.

anyways thanks for your reply's i'll check the sound card database

1 - 6 of 6 Posts