Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The forced password change for now is to insure there are no holes on the forum and the one that should happen a year from now can be revisited then and we can look into if it is still needed on the site.
In the hope that there will be no reason to make the annual changes in the future, I've decided to go along.:eek:lddude:

·
Administrator
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just be sure that all the password you have here is not the same password/email you here. In general, it's good practice to make sure your important accounts don't share the same passwords as the other stuff.

Lee

·
Registered
868 Posts
Participating in a home theater forum should not require password resets or expirations.
While I have enjoyed my time here when my password expires that's it for me.
I want all the great members here to know how much I have enjoyed participating in this forum with you.
Many thanks to each and every one of you.
I just got the email notifying me of my password reset at AVS. I feel the same way as Charlie. I am done with both forums if I have to deal with password resets. It is nonsense to require this of users. Staff, who may have access to administrative areas is another matter, but for public users it is silly.

I am also very disappointed that we were not notified that the forums may have been compromised and not given any real information about potential threats.

I am sorry to say that after 10 years here, and longer at AVS, I will not be back at either if a password reset is required.

Adios.
Yup. I will be gone, too. This has been fun.
Really? You guys are going to leave both forums over a password change? I just fixed it by changing to a password that I like and that complies with policy (and standard good practice) on both forums, and it took all of one minute each. I'm not usually so forward, but I'm calling you guys out on this. There must be other reasons, because that is just ridiculously petty otherwise.

I do think that VS could and should be more forthcoming about threats they see. And if any company is aware of a compromise from outside, users ought to be notified immediately and know what steps to take. This habit of trying to reveal as little as possible is frustrating (and is a widespread practice -- don't know why companies feel they must stay hush hush about these things). But getting hacked and being less that 100% forthcoming is not exactly unique to VS. If you're worried about getting hacked, you'd better get off the internet and off the grid, turn in your credit cards, close your bank accounts, and revert to 19th century living.

I hate to see good, active forum members leave.

·
Administrator
232 Posts
I just received my email notification for the reset. That password must have come from the CIA encryption department.
Once you are logged back in you can change it to something that is easier for you to remember.

A good piece of advice, to help in remembering the more complex password, is to do a phrase instead of just randomly adding in the extra requirements.

Example:

BoiledCabbageis#1!

That will stick in your in your mind better.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Once you are logged back in you can change it to something that is easier for you to remember. A good piece of advice, to help in remembering the more complex password, is to do a phrase instead of just randomly adding in the extra requirements. Example: BoiledCabbageis#1! That will stick in your in your mind better.
I know I can change it. I was poking fun at the complexity of it. It's more secure than my banking password for sure!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really? You guys are going to leave both forums over a password change? I just fixed it by changing to a password that I like and that complies with policy (and standard good practice) on both forums, and it took all of one minute each. I'm not usually so forward, but I'm calling you guys out on this. There must be other reasons, because that is just ridiculously petty otherwise.

I do think that VS could and should be more forthcoming about threats they see. And if any company is aware of a compromise from outside, users ought to be notified immediately and know what steps to take. This habit of trying to reveal as little as possible is frustrating (and is a widespread practice -- don't know why companies feel they must stay hush hush about these things). But getting hacked and being less that 100% forthcoming is not exactly unique to VS. If you're worried about getting hacked, you'd better get off the internet and off the grid, turn in your credit cards, close your bank accounts, and revert to 19th century living.

I hate to see good, active forum members leave.
1. Yes I can totally see people leaving over this. It is annoying and unnecessary. Why should I have to have a password manager just to use a forum?

2. complex password requirements like the one in place are not good practice; in fact they are poor practice. See the comic in my post above.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have gained enough from this forum and others to totally and completely justify spending a few minutes per year to comply with a password policy, whether that policy is warranted or not. To each his own I suppose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's more than just a few minutes a year. Its now having to manage complex passwords just to use a forum.

Every time I come to this forum I am going to have to do a password reset because I am not going remember that I replaced a 1 with a ! in my password. So in the choice of continuing to reset my password or just go elsewhere? I will just go elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I just received my email notification for the reset. That password must have come from the CIA encryption department.

Lol. That's what I thought.
Btw, total elapsed time to copy and paste my new password from my email AND sign in? 8 seconds. Wow...
If I want to change it, I can. If I can't remember 0's from o's, I'll look on my cheat sheet of passwords.
Worst case? A password reset only takes 60seconds including login. For me? Don't care...
+bkeeler :wave:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Just changed mine. Not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
The "click here" link is broken as it has an extra h in hhtp://

You should have received an email from us to change your password, but if you are unable to login to the site, or are receiving a notice that your password is incorrect, please click here to reset your password.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Creating a password using the new system might seem daunting and inconvenient, but it's easy to still create a password that's easy to remember.

I am concerned that the reset is causing old members to lose posting privileges. That's not good. If that's happening, please PM me ASAP.

I know this caught all of us by surprise, but hang in there and give it a chance.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts