1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audeze LCD-XC Headphones

No code has to be inserted here.

Wayne's Impressions

A magnetic-planar design, the Audeze LCD-XC headphones had a clean, smooth high end that was a bit too forward for my taste. The wood finish was beautiful. Build quality was flawless. Bass was even and tight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am not a big headphone user so I do not have a lot of experience with them. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's. Any idea how the Audeze LCD-XC's would compare to the HD 598's?

·
Registered
197 Posts
AudiocRaver, maybe the other open back models would suit your preferences better? Ever since I got some MartinLogan speakers I've been looking into Planar and Electrostatic headphones. I've been seeing Audeze getting a lot of press lately. Steve Guttenberg talked about the LCD-X's on his blog recently. Once I finish off my home theater/2 channel system I plan on getting some nice planar headphones along with the Schiit Magni/Modi combo. I've been looking at the HiFiMan planars too... I wonder how Audeze and HiFiMan compare?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have not heard the HD 598's, but most Sennheiser phones tend to be at least a little laid back at the high end, so the Audeze might seem a little forward & bright. They were very clean & even, just a bit bright. I did not make it to the HiFiMan table, wish I had.

I am a fan of magnetic planar & electrostatic designs, have a pair of Martin Logan ESL's for review right now. The tonality of the Mr. Speakers magnetic planar phones really grabbed me, I thought their high end was a little truer than the Audeze. I hope to get a pair to review soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow! Both the Mr Speakers Alpha Dog and those Oppo cans sure look nice! Oppo certainly has been branching out lately, who would've thought they'd be doing planar headphones and android phones? When I get into the market for some new headphones I'll have plenty to look over between Audeze, HiFiMan, Mr Speakers, and Oppo.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am not a big headphone user so I do not have a lot of experience with them. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's. Any idea how the Audeze LCD-XC's would compare to the HD 598's?
I have not heard the the Sennheiser HD 598. I do have the HD650 and HD800. I am currently demoing Audeze LCD-3. The Sennheiser HD800 is in another league compared to the HD650. Don't get me wrong the HD650 is a great phone. HD800 just offers so much more detail. The only flaws I find with the HD800 is they can be bright on some music and could use a little more bass.

I also have a pair of the Hifiman 500. I think they are a well rounded can. The Hifiman doesn't have the top end of the Sennhieser HD800 but it does offer a little more bass. The problem I found with the Hifiman is that it requires a lot of power to get it going. great headphone for rock music.

I have not heard the new Audeze LCD-XC's. I can say auditioning the Audeze LCD-3 this is my favorite headphone. It doesn't have the top end of the Sennheiser HD800 but the dynamics are on par with Sennheiser 800 maybe even better. The bass compared to the 800 is outstanding. If the Sennheiser had that kind of bass I might prefer the Sennheiser 800. Nah, I think I would still go with Audeze LCD. The Audeze hasn't sounded bad yet. I can listen to poorly recorded songs with LCD-3 not so with the Sennheiser HD800. Both headphone's are reveling it's just seems the LCD-3's get it right.

It's a $500 difference in price between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Audeze LCD-3. The new Audeze fall between the HD800 and the LCD-3.

I have been auditioning the different headphone's with the Burson Conductor SL 1908 DAC and a Bryston BHA-1 both being feed by a Bryston CD player. I also used the Burson fed directly from my computer. I will begin auditioning the Burson being fed from a Bryston BDP-1 and comparing that to the Bryston BDA-2 dac.

Hope this helps,lot's of babbling on my part.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Bjski,

Thanks for those impressions. They were quite helpful to me! I've been curious on the comparison between Audeze and Senns. I have HD650's and absolutely love them. I am well aware that the Senns are laid back, but I am finding that I am preferring them over other linear cans that I've had or experienced. Still, I have always had the desires to get a pair of HD800's...

Still, in my desires for the HD800, I always have Audeze at the top of my list of cans to try out also.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Bjski,

Thanks for those impressions. They were quite helpful to me! I've been curious on the comparison between Audeze and Senns. I have HD650's and absolutely love them. I am well aware that the Senns are laid back, but I am finding that I am preferring them over other linear cans that I've had or experienced. Still, I have always had the desires to get a pair of HD800's...

Still, in my desires for the HD800, I always have Audeze at the top of my list of cans to try out also.
I love my Sennhieser HD800. I also use my HD650 when I'm listening from my computer (Nuforce) or iqube portable. My Hifiman 500 is my go to headphone for poor to decent recordings. The HD800 smokes most cans with good recordings the problem is when you play something that sizzles.

I just think the LCD-3 could be my go to headphone. Does it have the high end range along with detail,voicing as the HD800, no. The LCD-3 just sound good on everything and they have that added bass the HD800 are lacking. I just need to sell all my cans to be able to get the LCD-3.

I do see the LCD-2's are on sale and the same with the Hifiman 500. As I mentioned before a good headphone amp like the Burson or Bryston is needed for the Hifiman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts