Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably an easy question but I'm new to this stuff so here it goes...

I just purchased a HDTV 50" and Samsung HT-Z510 Home Theather system. I have an HDMI cable connecting them, but wondering if I should have an additional Audio cable. When I purchased the system they tried to sell me a toslink cable. Don't know what it is or if i need it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
It sounds like you have everything working with HDMI only. That's fine and you don't need any other connections; HDMI does both audio and video. If they tried to sell you another cable, they were just trying to make a little extra cash, and/or they didn't know what they were talking about.

Good luck!

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
First off, don't buy your cables from a big box store. Try monoprice.com, bluejeans cables, RAM (there's probably a banner above). If you did buy them, and still have the receipt, take them back because you probably paid too much.

To answer your question, if you're only using the dvd player built in, then you should have sound, so you don't need an additional cable. However, if you'd like to play the sound from your TV through your home theater, you will need a toslink cable. Visit the sites above, and a preemptive answer to an often asked question, no, there is no audible difference between the cables.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I thought as well.

I was reading on the internet about getting better sound quality, so i made a purchase on-line for a Optical Toslink... turns out the connectors don't fit in my new TV or DVD player. I didn't think this stuff was so confusing but I'm really lost with this stuff.

So Marshall - does the Optical Toslink allow you to listen to sound not only through the home theather but also through the TV speakers? Sorry for the dumb question. And yes, I did buy my Optical Toslink from monoprice but think i purchased the wrong one since my connect ends don't fit my components.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Toslink cables come with 2 types of connectors, mini and standard, just make sure you get the correct one.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... does the Optical Toslink allow you to listen to sound not only through the home theather but also through the TV speakers? .
Yes, you can choose to either listen to the sound through home theater speaker, TV speakers or both...I always use the Home theater, if you use both it will sound funny :yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts