Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Senior Shackster
365 Posts
The more I read the title of this thread, the more I think it is just plain wrong. What is should say is "Videophiles movie list", not "audiophile". Let's be frank, "Audiophiles" like audio only, no video allowed in their reference systems. So calling it an audiophiles movie list would be an antithesis to what audiophiles really believe...in audio only.

There, now I feel better. Now getting back to business. I would like to add the following movies to our current list of good sound tracks.

Aeon Flux on HD DVD - While both the Bluray and HD DVD have the same specifications, the HD DVD version of Aeon Flux has a Dolby Digital plus sound track encoded at 1.5 mbps, and opposed to the Bluray version of 640kbps. The extra bits on the HD DVD track shouldn't make all the much of a difference, but it does. The sound design on this film is excellent, with subtle and bombast present, but the use of the 360 degree sound field(with help from PLIIx) is stunning and exemplary. There was constant ambience in the surround channels that shifted with each scene, and that injects a level of realism that more conservative sound tracks cannot achieve.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - is basically the same as Aeon Flux, it has spec's the same as the Bluray, but the encoding bit rate of the DD+ sound track is at 1.5 mbps. Since this sound track was manufactured strictly as a studio creation(no production elements were used except the dialog), the sound designers could go back to the drawing board, and create everything from scratch. This gives all kinds of opportunities to use the entire channel palette in the most creative way.

I am sure as I continue to watch movies, I will have more to post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here Are My Personal Examples Of Audiophile Movies:

The Haunting (1999)
Titan A.E. (2000)
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010)
ParaNorman (2012)
The Adventures Of Sharkboy And Lavagirl (2005)
Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side Of Dimensions (2016)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018)
Independence Day (1996)
Astro Boy (2009)
Alita: Battle Angel (2019)
Batman: Bad Blood (2016)

Any Questions?

21 - 22 of 22 Posts