Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run a few calibration cycles and each one stops as soon as it tries to test the left rear surround. When listening to music in the all channel stereo mode and when using internal pink noise, that channel sounds fine and is properly trimmed. All of the other channels (except for left surround and sub since I can't get that far) ping and are recognized as active. Any thoughts?

Prepro is Onkyo pr-sc885p.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
also make sure you dont have the positive and negative reversed on either end.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Even though you checked with the internal pink noise, the tweeter could still be blown. The internal pink noise, at least as measured on my Denon, appeared to be 400Hz-1400Hz, rolling off at -6dB/octave beyond that.

Bill

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The weird part is it doesn't even seem to be starting the ping noise. Fails as soon as it is done with the right rear (but lists right rear as found).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I triple checked the wiring and didn't find anything obviously wrong so I did a reset. After the rest I went back and adjusted the output levels of all channels using my amp gains instead of internal trim thinking perhaps it was running out of +/- trim. I was able to get everything within .5dB. Then re-ran audyssey calibration. I was so pumped when it got past the left rear surround and all the way to the sub. Position 1 done, moved to position 2, done, position 3, failed on the sub - RETRY. $%@#$%@#$%. Tried again and now I can 't get past the sub on position 1. I swapped polarity on the sub, still failed. Turned the filters on my BFD off, failed. Took the BFD out of the signal loop completely, FAILED. Argh. I've reset the prepro about 5 times now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HA! So I turned my sub amp off and it ran the calibration fine (except it found no sub...). SO I cranked the gains WAY back on the sub and turned it back on. Voila. I guess I've been running my sub a little high ;)

I did notice it set the sub distance at 1.8ft, when it is actually about 15 feet from the main position. I manually adjusted that. It also found all of my speakers to be full range except for the rear surrounds (set at 70Hz). It set the trims for the mains a little up from where I manually adjusted them with my SPL meter (~1-1.5dB up). Overall I'm happy it ran....

I have a few more room tweaks to make before I'm ready for a final calibration (after another REW/BFD calibration as well.).

Thanks again for all of the help!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts