Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Which color is which? The best traces, from top to bottom, look to be blue, blue, and yellow. Which are these?
Sorry bout that.

Gold = 120
Red = 100
Purple = 90
Blue = 80

I have the LPE/LPF is set to 120 but I have yet to see any difference in any sweep I have made reagaurdless of what setting I have set it on 80 - 120.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes they are. The graphs above are with both fronts and sub.

The graph here was with right speaker and subs, not much difference, a full sweep with three sub only sweeps with different crossovers.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Well, the LFE shouldn't be affected by the crossover. The LFE is a separate channel directed to the sub and the sub alone. Now, info from the other 5 channels in the range affected by the crossover will also be sent to the sub if the speakers are set to small.

Have you played around with the phase on your sub, or the position of your sub/speakers? That could give you smoother response around the crossover frequency. Make sure that you turn Audyssey off, get it as smooth as you can, and then run the Audyssey cal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, the LFE shouldn't be affected by the crossover. The LFE is a separate channel directed to the sub and the sub alone. Now, info from the other 5 channels in the range affected by the crossover will also be sent to the sub if the speakers are set to small.

Have you played around with the phase on your sub, or the position of your sub/speakers? That could give you smoother response around the crossover frequency. Make sure that you turn Audyssey off, get it as smooth as you can, and then run the Audyssey cal.

hate to sound like a moron, but how do turn off Audyssey on the Onkyo? I can turn Dyn EQ off,,,but Audyssey?

It seems no matter where I have placed the duals I get a dratic measurment around the xover. I'm using an ASEQ, I havent really moved the subs and run sweeps with just the subs to find the best place w/out Audyssey, for the ASEQ shows a before graph and it seems no matter where I can place my subs they seem to have a big dip. So as of now I just opted to go with the best "cosmetic wise", to place them and thats between both fronts.

I had them in slightly diff position and got even more extension but still had a dip....

·
Registered
678 Posts
... Is there a way to actually turn off Audyssey on the NR1007?
Looking at the NR1007 manual, page 93, it appears under Equalizer settings you have a choice of Manual, Audyssey, or Off, and either Manual or Off should disable Audyssey.

I'm not sure that turning Audyssey Off will do anything about the dip of which you complain. Your left only + sub and right only + sub curves look reasonably even between the sub range and the mains. With multiple subs, you have a lot of combinations to try to see which polarity on the phase yields the smoothest transition.

... I have the LPE/LPF is set to 120 but I have yet to see any difference in any sweep I have made reagaurdless of what setting I have set it on 80 - 120.
REW is not going to show you any effect from changes in the LPF for LFE because it is driving one or two stereo channels; it is not driving the LFE channel.

Bill

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks Bill. I really just wanted to see what the response looked like with no Audyssey and then make sweeps with just the MultEQ and with the ASEQ to see the difference. One would think the ASEQ would be able to correct the phase issue between the two subs, hence one of the reasons I purchased it, I was going nuts just trying to get a decent graph prior to buying it.....come to think of it, I wasnt running REW at the time so, I was actually using an SPL with sine wave disc it was probably a lot of waisted time.

A side note: the graph above with the sub sweeps and the single right front/sub sweep was x-over at 100hz. Any graph made at 80 has a big dip it seems, no matter where I can place them. I may try messing with the phase of one of them...or both, if need be but I sure was thinking the ASEQ would have taken care of this.

·
Registered
678 Posts
... the graph above with the sub sweeps and the single right front/sub sweep was x-over at 100hz. Any graph made at 80 has a big dip it seems, no matter where I can place them. ...
If that is what you are seeing, it may come from the mains and not the sub. Where my left front is positioned, near a corner, it has a sharp dip above 70Hz. If I set the crossover below this, the big dip is still present in the combined curve. If I set the crossover above this, the sub covers much of the dip. You may be seeing something like that, where the 80Hz dip is in the mains' response, and the sub crossover at 100Hz lets it be more responsible for this region. Or you may be able to move the mains farther from the wall, to reduce the frequency of their dip below the crossover frequency.

Bill

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think that may be the problem.

I went home during lunch and ran a couple of sweeps with subs and right speaker at 80hz

Green = ASEQ/MultEQ/DynamicEQ all on
Purple = DynEQ off
Red = ASEQ & DynEQ off
Blue = All off

I ran a sub only sweep they way they are in the picture above then turned the subs outboard, the left one faced the left wall and the right one actually faced down a hall. I ran sub only 200hz sweeps at 80hz x-over

No EQ in these sweeps.

Green = facing sitting postion as in pic above
Purple = facing out board

I really thought the purple was going to be sweet, after setting up the ASEQ with I ran a sweep with the right speaker it was horrible....so I faced them back to the front and moved my mains slightly and ran a sweep with both fronts at 80hz x-over on with out DynEQ and one with.

Purple = w/out DEQ
Gold = with DEQ

Didnt have time to run a full sweep with DynEQ on but here is a 200hz sweep with it on along with a full sweep with it off.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Here is my REW graph with some manual EQ:

manualeq.jpg

Now with Audyssey Dynamic EQ (all other parameters are identical):

dynamiceq.jpg

And the two overlayed:

dyn-man-eq.jpg

Audyssey in this case is MultEQ on an Onkyo TX-NR807
BFD Filters were applied to smooth the Manual EQ FR and were kept in place for the Audyssey FR graph.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

When it was engaging Audyssey autosetup in onkyo 906, all channels were being calibrated. How to calibrate subwoofer channel only in Audyssey autosetup? It seems that the calibrated effect of other channels except subwoofer is not that good in my untreated room.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
With Audyssey, it is all or nothing I'm afraid. There is no option to EQ just the sub. I'm not up on the different Audyssey options on the Onkyo, but on the Denon units, you can select "Bypass L/R" which defeats the EQ for the L/R channels and corrects the Center and Surrounds to sound like the L/R channels, while also keeping the sub EQ. This is as close as you can get to what you are looking for.

What don't you like about the sound? Sometimes poor sounding results are the effect of improper measurement technique. Please describe how you took the measurements.

·
Registered
678 Posts
... It seems that the calibrated effect of other channels except subwoofer is not that good in my untreated room. ...
You may be seeing comb filtering between the front speakers giving you more variation in the joint measurement than either speaker has itself. I was confused by some of my Audyssey curves, until I began measuring the left and right channel separately.

You can also try taking measurements across all the points you used during Audyssey setup to define the Audyssey bubble.

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
With Audyssey, it is all or nothing I'm afraid. There is no option to EQ just the sub. I'm not up on the different Audyssey options on the Onkyo, but on the Denon units, you can select "Bypass L/R" which defeats the EQ for the L/R channels and corrects the Center and Surrounds to sound like the L/R channels, while also keeping the sub EQ. This is as close as you can get to what you are looking for.

What don't you like about the sound? Sometimes poor sounding results are the effect of improper measurement technique. Please describe how you took the measurements.
I just follow the manuel to place the supplied mic at 3 listerning positions due to limited space.

It sounds dull after calibration. I turn off the EQ and it sounds lively but the bass does not sound good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try redoing the Audyssey set-up, but this time instead of pointing the tip of the microphone straight up, tilt it slightly away from the front speakers. This may help restore the perceived high frequency loss.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Hi,

When it was engaging Audyssey autosetup in onkyo 906, all channels were being calibrated. How to calibrate subwoofer channel only in Audyssey autosetup? It seems that the calibrated effect of other channels except subwoofer is not that good in my untreated room.

Thanks

Can't do sub only in the avr, you want the svs unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cant you just unplug the speakers so the system only detects the sub woofer, thereby fooling it into only eq'ing the sub. I dont have surrounds so I know there is no issue on that front, but I suppose how it reacts to no fronts will make the difference. It costs nothing to try though.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Cant you just unplug the speakers so the system only detects the sub woofer, thereby fooling it into only eq'ing the sub. I dont have surrounds so I know there is no issue on that front, but I suppose how it reacts to no fronts will make the difference. It costs nothing to try though.
Have you tried this Dan as it may work, but I think if it is in an AVR then it will just give you an error message and ask you to do it again?

61 - 80 of 122 Posts