Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 493 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Discussion Thread for the Home Theater Shack Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and Setup Guide.

Audyssey MultEQ is a room- and speaker-tuning technology that is built into many Audio-Video Receivers. It is designed to be simple to use with minimal special knowledge, and it is a powerful tool that has smoothed out the sound of many a home theater system. But getting good results with Audyssey MultEQ does take some careful attention to detail. And it is possible to get marginal or even poor results in some situations. The purpose of the Home Theater Shack Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and Setup Guide is to help users maximize their chance of having a frustration-free, successful Audyssey MultEQ tuning experience.

This thread is now open for discussion about the Home Theater Shack Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and Setup Guide.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
You did an awesome job Wayne... very detailed and thorough. It should be a valuable asset to many users.

A BIG Thanks! :T :T :T

·
Registered
48 Posts
My first post here.

Thank you for the very informative Audyssey instructions. There are so many new points I have never seen before, especially on mic placement which I'm eager to try.

I just don't understand what some of the positions mean, can you clarify please, I'm using XT32?

Base Setup Mic Pattern - MultEQ XT32, MultEQ XT, MultEQ. Use for step 2 of this Process: PLP center, 3 in forward, 3 in up, 3 in up & 3 in forward, 3 in L, 3 in R, 6 in L, 6 in R
What does 3 in up mean?
3 in forward?
etc etc...

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a long-time Audyssey user, and avid participant in AVS forums for Audyssey and the Audyssey Pro Kit. We have developed an Audyssey set-up guide, and FAQ's for both Audyssey and the Pro Kit. I just read your Guide in its entirety, and congratulate you on a vey good job. It is easy to understand and covers the appropriate topics in the right amount of detail. I especially like the hidden areas that drill down into more detail on a number of important topics.

One area that I found especially interesting was the great detail that was presented regarding the various potential mic positions. While I have experimented with various patterns until I settled in on one that gives me consistent results, I have never been so specific in analyzing the differences among various mike patterns. Nice job!

There were a few areas that I would add a few comments. For example, on being able to store multiple Audyssey results for comparison, there is an alternative to the Pro Kit's ability to save and re-load measurement points. It is the network configuration save/load capability available on higher-end Denon AVR's, which saves the Audyssey filters as well as the AVR configuration data. And as for the advice to never place a measurement point where someone doesn't sit, this doesn't always work for users like myself. For the majority of the time, I am the only listener, so my measurement points are arranged in a pattern around the PLP, and include points where no one sits. The results for the PLP are excellent. And finally, you may have mentioned it and I could have missed it, but the key to repeatable results for Audyssey calibrations is careful attention to a repeatable process, including being careful to use the same measurement points once you have found one that produces good results.

Once again, congratulations on a nice job!
Jerry,

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks for the thorough read-through and for pointing out changes that needed to be made, especially about advanced AVRs with config save capability. I had not run into that. I just finished making a few changes based on your comments.

Thanks again, and all the best.

Wayne

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first post here.

Thank you for the very informative Audyssey instructions. There are so many new points I have never seen before, especially on mic placement which I'm eager to try.

I just don't understand what some of the positions mean, can you clarify please, I'm using XT32?

Base Setup Mic Pattern - MultEQ XT32, MultEQ XT, MultEQ. Use for step 2 of this Process: PLP center, 3 in forward, 3 in up, 3 in up & 3 in forward, 3 in L, 3 in R, 6 in L, 6 in R
What does 3 in up mean?
3 in forward?
etc etc...
Murray,

First of all, welcome to Home Theater Shack. We hope you come back often and find our forums to be a valuable resource.

Thanks for the feedback and questions. Sorry about all the abbreviations, I probably got a bit carried away with them.

Specifically relative to the example you quoted:

• PLP center means the center of head point at the Primary Listening Position. Then the other measurement points are relative to that point. The directions are from the perspective of a person seated at that Listening Position.
  • The 2nd measurement point is 3 inches forward (toward the front of the room) from the PLPC point.
  • The 3rd measurement point is 3 inches up above the PLPC point.
  • The 4th measurement point is 3 inches up above and 3 inches forward from the PLPC point.
  • The 5th measurement point is 3 inches left of the PLPC point.
  • The 6th measurement point is 3 inches right of the PLPC point.
  • The 7th measurement point is 6 inches left of the PLPC point.
  • The 8th measurement point is 6 inches right of the PLPC point.
Hope that helps. I will take this opportunity to clarify that example in the article and hopefully reduce future confusion.

Thanks again for your comments and happy AMEQing.

Wayne

·
Registered
48 Posts
Murray,

First of all, welcome to Home Theater Shack. We hope you come back often and find our forums to be a valuable resource.

Thanks for the feedback and questions. Sorry about all the abbreviations, I probably got a bit carried away with them.

Specifically relative to the example you quoted:

• PLP center means the center of head point at the Primary Listening Position. Then the other measurement points are relative to that point. The directions are from the perspective of a person seated at that Listening Position.
  • The 2nd measurement point is 3 inches forward (toward the front of the room) from the PLPC point.
  • The 3rd measurement point is 3 inches up above the PLPC point.
  • The 4th measurement point is 3 inches up above and 3 inches forward from the PLPC point.
  • The 5th measurement point is 3 inches left of the PLPC point.
  • The 6th measurement point is 3 inches right of the PLPC point.
  • The 7th measurement point is 6 inches left of the PLPC point.
  • The 8th measurement point is 6 inches right of the PLPC point.
Hope that helps. I will take this opportunity to clarify that example in the article and hopefully reduce future confusion.

Thanks again for your comments and happy AMEQing.

Wayne
Thanks for that clarification Wayne. I don't see any recommendation from you regarding mic placement when the back of the seats are higher than the ear height. Others say place the mic up to 2' away from the back of the seat, what are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Wayne,

That is a GREAT job on summerizing the most important aspects of Audyssey. Thanks for the time and effort in putting it together. I've been using Audyssey products since 2006 and won't purchase another AVR that does not have such a feature.

Again, Much Appreciated!!!:T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thanks for that clarification Wayne. I don't see any recommendation from you regarding mic placement when the back of the seats are higher than the ear height. Others say place the mic up to 2' away from the back of the seat, what are your thoughts?
Its been my understanding that you should move the mic forward if the backs are high like you say.

Wayne, thats a great writeup and will be very useful for people just getting into home theater who need a detailed description.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is something I tried several times, with varying results. I actually got more consistent results just using measurement points a few inches in front of the high seat back, right where the head would end up. Case #4 shows the result with the mic moved one foot above a high sofa back, it did not work out so well. To get completely away from the effects of reflections off of furniture, you have to get far enough away that the measurement point no longer represents what the listener will hear.

If there are three chairs of the same design, or a high-backed sofa, and each seat ends up being an analysis point, try placing the mic where the listener's head would end up, but at the first chair place it 3 inches forward from the seat back, at the second chair place it 6 inches forward, and at the third chair place it 9 inches forward, etc. Now you are getting results that really represent the sound at those seats, and the FR fluctuations that result from reflections off the seat back will be different for each measurement and will have minimal effect.

If one single high-backed chair is the only listening position, try the Near Field Monitoring Setup Mic Pattern or the 8-Point Basic Mic Setup Mic Pattern. I was always extremely happy with results from both of them even with high-backed chairs.

Best of luck.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wayne, that is a GREAT job on summerizing the most important aspects of Audyssey. Thanks for the time and effort in putting it together. I've been using Audyssey products since 2006 and won't purchase another AVR that does not have such a feature.
Wayne, thats a great writeup and will be very useful for people just getting into home theater who need a detailed description.
Thank you both very kindly. There were times I was not sure it would ever get finished. I cannot tell you what it means to get your positive feedback. That makes it all worthwhile.

Wayne

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is something I tried several times, with varying results. I actually got more consistent results just using measurement points a few inches in front of the high seat back, right where the head would end up. Case #4 shows the result with the mic moved one foot above a high sofa back, it did not work out so well. To get completely away from the effects of reflections off of furniture, you have to get far enough away that the measurement point no longer represents what the listener will hear.

If there are three chairs of the same design, or a high-backed sofa, and each seat ends up being an analysis point, try placing the mic where the listener's head would end up, but at the first chair place it 3 inches forward from the seat back, at the second chair place it 6 inches forward, and at the third chair place it 9 inches forward, etc. Now you are getting results that really represent the sound at those seats, and the FR fluctuations that result from reflections off the seat back will be different for each measurement and will have minimal effect.

If one single high-backed chair is the only listening position, try the Near Field Monitoring Setup Mic Pattern or the 8-Point Basic Mic Setup Mic Pattern. I was always extremely happy with results from both of them even with high-backed chairs.

Best of luck.
Gee Wayne you really sound like you know what your talking about I'm very impressed! Lets hope I can get some better results than what Ive been struggling with over the last 1.5 years!

Can you take a look at my room and offer advise please. I have three rows of four seats over risers. The back row is always my problem as we all know with seats close to the back wall..... Ive since made bass traps all round the back row which has helped to an extent but Ive exhausted that area now. My middle row is the most important, then the back row and the front last. The ear height on the seat is at the top where the two buttons are, so the back of the seat is above the head.

Is there a mic pattern you would recommend for me here please that I can try?

I have done hundreds of trial runs, sometimes ok sometimes TERRIBLE! When they are terrible I get a shocking ringing (if that's the right word) in the back row on long low notes of music. Some mic results reduce this....

Im just trying to settle on a mic pattern that will produce acceptable results.

My Build:
http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/blog/rapallo-home-cinema-build

Attachments

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
That is an extraordinary piece of work Wayne! I can't begin to imagine how much time and effort it took to create an elaborate and all encompassing guide such as that. Truly incredible...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Couple if questions that are confusing me, audyssey always sets my speakers to large, which the all are. The X-overs are always set to 40Hz after running audyssey, are you saying to leave these settings alone, even after all the talk on setting speakers to small with X-over at minimum 80Hz?

Other values that can be adjusted with minimal impact are the level settings for each speaker. LFE crossover settings should not be changed, nor should speaker size. Distance settings for speakers other than L, C, and R should not be changed. Subwoofer distance setting can be changed if it is found to fix a frequency response smoothness problem at the LFE crossover frequency.

Also, Note: Before running Audyssey MultEQ, be sure the subwoofer's controls are set with the crossover frequency at its highest value and the phase setting at zero degrees.

Are you saying I should set my 3 SVS subs X-overs to 125? With my speakers set to 40? Im confused, but if thats the way it should be done, then I'm sure going to give it a try..

Excellent write up :T Thank you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Couple if questions that are confusing me, audyssey always sets my speakers to large, which the all are. The X-overs are always set to 40Hz after running audyssey, are you saying to leave these settings alone, even after all the talk on setting speakers to small with X-over at minimum 80Hz?

Other values that can be adjusted with minimal impact are the level settings for each speaker. LFE crossover settings should not be changed, nor should speaker size. Distance settings for speakers other than L, C, and R should not be changed. Subwoofer distance setting can be changed if it is found to fix a frequency response smoothness problem at the LFE crossover frequency.

Also, Note: Before running Audyssey MultEQ, be sure the subwoofer's controls are set with the crossover frequency at its highest value and the phase setting at zero degrees.

Are you saying I should set my 3 SVS subs X-overs to 125? With my speakers set to 40? Im confused, but if thats the way it should be done, then I'm sure going to give it a try..

Excellent write up :T Thank you.
Technically Audyssey does not set your crossovers, your receiver does. Audyssey simple reports the -3db point to the receiver and the manufacturer decides what to do from their. Personally I would recommend adjusting all speakers to small and 80hz crossover for all speakers.

And yes, set your SVS crossovers as high as they will go as your are trying to take them out of the equation.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Technically Audyssey does not set your crossovers, your receiver does. Audyssey simple reports the -3db point to the receiver and the manufacturer decides what to do from their. Personally I would recommend adjusting all speakers to small and 80hz crossover for all speakers.

And yes, set your SVS crossovers as high as they will go as your are trying to take them out of the equation.
OK, I understand the speaker part. That's the way I have them set now, even though they are some pretty big speakers with duel 15's.

Question on the LFE in the AVR, would I keep that on 80Hz, or should I raise that to, the max I have is 120Hz?

Thank you...

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Question on the LFE in the AVR, would I keep that on 80Hz, or should I raise that to, the max I have is 120Hz?
I'll be the heretic and give an alternate view.

I haven't found much content, and certainly nothing critical, between 80Hz and 120Hz in the LFE channel. Maybe some re-recording engineers are rolling off above 80Hz because it fits with the THX spec, maybe because commercial theatre speakers go down to 40-50Hz; who knows.

With that in mind, I set the low pass filter of the LFE channel where I cross over to my main speakers (80Hz). The main reason for this is because I want a single blend point from subs to speakers. So if I get the blend just right at 80Hz, then want all the content from my subwoofers rolling off at that point, not some of it rolling off at 80Hz and some of it rolling off at 120Hz. Besides, at that high a frequency, most subwoofers I've heard start to become localizable.

1 - 20 of 493 Posts