Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
@subcrazy

I have the PR-SC5508 PREAMP connected to the Sunfire TGA7401. That is why I want to know where to get the Pro calibration kit. Anyone have links? You can PM me as well.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
@subcrazy

I have the PR-SC5508 PREAMP connected to the Sunfire TGA7401. That is why I want to know where to get the Pro calibration kit. Anyone have links? You can PM me as well.
Go to the Audyssey site and find a local AudysseyPro installer/dealer. Ask him to sell you a kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use dynamic EQ in my 80.2 with movies and that gives a lot of punch and surround ambience etc The setting is key.
Tv movies 10 db is fine
Blue ray I set at 0 or 5
Hi. New here but I've picked up a lot of info from the AVS Audyssey thread and having several Denon AVRs. DynEQ is a great feature IMO. Note that it is designed to work correctly at 0 for DVDs and BluRay. Many users find TV requires 10-15 to tame the bass and surrounds.

...I use Dynamic EQ as well but when you say 10db for TV is that a setting for more or less from reference in regards to dynamic EQ? I am wondering if I have TV set at 0db right now will setting DYNEQ at 10db give me more or less?...
Hi. What the 10 dB setting does is essentially trim down the input gain 10 dB. Which is exactly what I used to do on my Denon 2809, as it did not have the Dynamic Level Offset feature, when listening to TV or CDs with DynEQ on. When you do this, you can hear the volume get quieter. So then you crank up the MV 10 dB. DynEQ monitors the MV setting and will turn down the DynEQ effect as it thinks you are listening closer to reference level and thus don't need as much of the effect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
...Audyssey ALFC technology provides higher resolution correction filters on the subwoofer channel than is possible for satellite speakers...
To be pedantic, that statement is not true for XT32, but is true for all lesser Audyssey versions. And all the other reasons in your post remain valid. 80 Hz remains an excellent xover for most setups IME for all those reasons, though Pro apparently suggests xovers in order of best integration of sub(s)/sats and reportedly often recommends one lower than 80.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi new to this forum and am interested in the Audyssey pro calibration kit to purchase but cannot find where to get this...
In addition to Kal's suggestion, you can call Luke 213-625-4300 @ Audyssey Installer Support to obtain the Pro Installer kit ($550 for consumer, less for dealers) and the Pro license for your AVR ($150 to all) direct from Audyssey.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here are the auddsyey pro graphs before and after the 5/27 integra 80.2 update. Mic position almost the same. Mid bass correction is on the surrounds and center not on the fronts (ML Vantages( .

Clear difference at high end in raw data. I think I hear a difference in low freq impact in movies.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I decided to put my old speakers back in which are a normal 3-way and re-run Pro. I was going back and forth with the mid-range compensation to see which I preferred since it is a more conventional speaker than the Emerald Physics CS2 speakers I had in there before. I could tell the difference between mid comp on/off but it was much closer than before. On the last switch I got a phone call that lasted awhile so when I came back to my system I had forgotten if mid comp was on or off. I ran through my normal test discs and was very satisfied with the sound that the comparisons were over. I actually thought I had left mid comp on but when I clicked the "show results" button the response was flat, no mid comp.

In my system the mid comp seems to recess the vocals. I was actually happy I got distracted so I could listen without knowing if mid-comp was on/off.

Next thing I have to do is re-run XT on the 886 since there are different speakers in the system and compare to the Pro calibrated 5508. I know it's not a fair comparison but I am thinking the 886 is probably not too far off except with music but who knows:huh: I may pop for the 886 Pro license and compare them that way but not sure yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Be sure to take new raw data with the 5/27 update for your 5508 as Kal suggests It sure makes a difference.

My b&w 801 s from 1981 have an adjustable filter that is essentially what Audyssey does with mid comp.

Putting it in affects voices as you have noted.

I am very curious about the results of your study

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on the update. I did run the firmware update but was told I have the latest version.

The vintage 801's are excellent speakers. My old speakers are the Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen II and I have tried in vain to replace them but they have bested every contender I have had in my home. Sometimes I think they just don't make things they way they used to and even VS's VR-4 jr was not as good as my vintage 90's VR-4's.

I have to give it to the Emerald Physics CS2's though. I think they are actually better for movies than the VR4's but musically the the VR4's just do more things right.

One thing I did notice after doing the Pro calibration is I kept the crossovers were Audyssey recommended which was 40hz for all channels. I have to admit that music sounded better than moving the crossovers back to 80hz for all channels. I only move them back to 80hz as movies are my main priority and even though all my VS's speakers are full range they can't play as loud as my subs. If I didn't run out of time I would have went back and listened to some bass intensive movies with the 40hz crossovers, maybe I will re-load the measurements and try it out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pro suggested 40 for my rears but they are not full ranges so I brought the xover to the speaker specs.

My fronts in the tv room are ml vantage with the stage as the center.

With dual subs I am happy to have xovers for my vantage at 50 as suggested and 100 for the stage

Looking forward to your comparisons.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Here's something interesting.

I was messing with the crossovers in Pro then checking the result with my SMS-1, I would have used REW but I have to drag the other laptop over. With the 80hz x-over the bass response wasn't as good as I was expecting in the x-over region so I began experimenting with all the options Pro gave me. I did have the fighter jet scene from live free or die hard cued up as I am very familiar with what that scene should sound like. The options given to me were 80, 70, 60, 50, 40 and full range for my mains but not the surrounds which stopped at 40hz. I tried them all but by far the best sounding and the flattest response was with Audyssey's first recommendation of 40hz all around. At 60hz there was actually a nasty dip right in that area according to the SMS-1 and all other frequency's exhibited a dip or a jagged response except the 40hz x-over which only had a slight peak in the 30 to 40hz range.

I had assumed that whatever the x-over was to the speakers that the subs would be LPF at the same x-over since all the speakers extend to 40hz but I was wrong. Turns out after checking the speaker configuration in the Onkyo's set-up menu that all the speakers are set to 40hz but the subwoofer's LPF/LFE is set to 120hz by Pro so that explains why I am getting so much more bass. Turns out the speakers help smooth out the bass response and it is clearly audible, I got a headache from all the extra bass:D

I still have to mess with it more but I am done for the night.

·
Registered
188 Posts
sub_crazy said:
Here's something interesting.

I was messing with the crossovers in Pro then checking the result with my SMS-1, I would have used REW but I have to drag the other laptop over. With the 80hz x-over the bass response wasn't as good as I was expecting in the x-over region so I began experimenting with all the options Pro gave me. I did have the fighter jet scene from live free or die hard cued up as I am very familiar with what that scene should sound like. The options given to me were 80, 70, 60, 50, 40 and full range for my mains but not the surrounds which stopped at 40hz. I tried them all but by far the best sounding and the flattest response was with Audyssey's first recommendation of 40hz all around. At 60hz there was actually a nasty dip right in that area according to the SMS-1 and all other frequency's exhibited a dip or a jagged response except the 40hz x-over which only had a slight peak in the 30 to 40hz range.

I had assumed that whatever the x-over was to the speakers that the subs would be LPF at the same x-over since all the speakers extend to 40hz but I was wrong. Turns out after checking the speaker configuration in the Onkyo's set-up menu that all the speakers are set to 40hz but the subwoofer's LPF/LFE is set to 120hz by Pro so that explains why I am getting so much more bass. Turns out the speakers help smooth out the bass response and it is clearly audible, I got a headache from all the extra bass:D

I still have to mess with it more but I am done for the night.
Maybe I will go back and try to use the pro's suggestions as close as I can to the limit of the each speakers specs.

Interesting results.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Changing the LPF for the LFE has absolutely no effect on the redirected bass regardless of crossover setting.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Of couse but xovers do.

Kal did you find the first choice offered by Audyssey pro was significantly better than the next?
Usually but not always. Unless one is willing to spend a lot of time trying each option, listening and measuring to each channel with/without the sub, taking the top choice is a good idea.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ok I will redo the xovers and see what happens. However , what about xovers way below the speakers specs ? Couldn't that lead to overdriving the speaker? E.g. Pro says 40 but the 3db spec is 80?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ok I will redo the xovers and see what happens. However , what about xovers way below the speakers specs ? Couldn't that lead to overdriving the speaker? E.g. Pro says 40 but the 3db spec is 80?
I have only seen that, personally, with my surround speakers as my fronts are always pretty full range. However, the surrounds are in corners and enjoy(!) considerable (but bumpy) bass extension, so Audyssey takes advantage of that to extend the bass without danger of overload. Of course, my comments are based, primarily, on music reproduction as HT is a secondary application for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Kal Rubinson said:
I have only seen that, personally, with my surround speakers as my fronts are always pretty full range. However, the surrounds are in corners and enjoy(!) considerable (but bumpy) bass extension, so Audyssey takes advantage of that to extend the bass without danger of overload. Of course, my comments are based, primarily, on music reproduction as HT is a secondary application for me.
My rears are on ceiling and in corner. Lots of boost.

I will follow your lead.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Anyone know if there's a way to lower the LPF in the PRO software? Audyssey Pro lets me change the speaker x-over but not the subs which is locked at 120hz and the only way to change it is in the receiver's speaker configuration menu but I thought that is a no no with Pro.

I went back and did a normal XT32 calibration on my 5508 and it sounded good. I went in and changed my speakers x-over to 80hz and it improved for movies. I then went back and changed the subs x-over from 120 to 80hz and it was even better. I also used the SMS-1 to measure the response of the subs but didn't have the response dips like with PRO when I changed the crossover settings while still in the PRO software.

I am trying to find a good compromise between movies and music as I like the crossovers lower for music but higher with movies. I wish the PRO software would allow you to set different x-overs and levels for music and movies, that would be really slick and for the price should be included IMO.

I like what PRO is doing for music but for movies there is something missing. There is better integration and all the speakers and subs work more seamlessly as a whole but maybe I am just not used to that in movies? Maybe I just prefer a 80hz HPF? I may just go back to a regular XT32 calibration for a couple of weeks then back to PRO so I can get a better grasp on what's missing.

I have to admit that XT32 sounds really good on it's own, I wish I could keep those settings for movies and PRO for music.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Anyone know if there's a way to lower the LPF in the PRO software? Audyssey Pro lets me change the speaker x-over but not the subs which is locked at 120hz and the only way to change it is in the receiver's speaker configuration menu but I thought that is a no no with Pro.

I went back and did a normal XT32 calibration on my 5508 and it sounded good. I went in and changed my speakers x-over to 80hz and it improved for movies. I then went back and changed the subs x-over from 120 to 80hz and it was even better. I also used the SMS-1 to measure the response of the subs but didn't have the response dips like with PRO when I changed the crossover settings while still in the PRO software.

I am trying to find a good compromise between movies and music as I like the crossovers lower for music but higher with movies. I wish the PRO software would allow you to set different x-overs and levels for music and movies, that would be really slick and for the price should be included IMO.

I like what PRO is doing for music but for movies there is something missing. There is better integration and all the speakers and subs work more seamlessly as a whole but maybe I am just not used to that in movies? Maybe I just prefer a 80hz HPF? I may just go back to a regular XT32 calibration for a couple of weeks then back to PRO so I can get a better grasp on what's missing.

I have to admit that XT32 sounds really good on it's own, I wish I could keep those settings for movies and PRO for music.
Make sure you have the latest Onkyo firmware (5/27/11). If not, install it and rerun Pro.

61 - 80 of 167 Posts