Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a platform under the sub help with reflections? I think its called a subdude. Currently I have a flat response on my sub so not sure if it would help.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
A Subdude is designed to reduce the transmission of vibrations through the floor..helping to reduce any losses in the frequency response..
If your FR is flat now, you may not need it..

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,376 Posts
A platform like the SubDude isolates the cabinet from the floor, thereby "decoupling" the vibrations it transmits. Often time you'll hear the room resonate from the direct contact, causing things to vibrate in a sympathetic manner. You can often minimize the extraneous unpleasant sounds by insulating the sub from the room itself.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I use SubDudes under each of my subs to help mitigate room (and other rooms, too) vibrations. Flat frequency or not, rattles are distortion and addressing them cleans up the sound.

I have suspended flooring (crawlspace) which ripples with the very low bass waves, the SubDudes took much of it away. I do miss that. :hsd:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will it keep the pressure in the room from traveling or be heard in another room? Say if someone is asleep?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
No, the very long wavelengths will still travel though the structure as before.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When there are low frequencies like in a movie is the sub suppose to sound like an echoe apart from tight bass?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
It sounds like you might be describing "boominess". This could be caused by placing the sub too close to boundaries. Perhaps you could try moving the sub out away from a wall, little by little, see if this helps.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
asere - Trying the Gramma or SubDude might help push it toward smooth all the time.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,376 Posts
Just curious; what sub(s) do you have?

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
I don't think there is much evidence that it makes bass tighter. I talked to Dr. Hsu and he he didn't think it would have a noticeable effect. I'd assume what does happen is that, through decoupling from the floor, and vibrations or sub movement on the floor are removed and that may make the bass sound cleaner...

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think there is much evidence that it makes bass tighter. I talked to Dr. Hsu and he he didn't think it would have a noticeable effect. I'd assume what does happen is that, through decoupling from the floor, and vibrations or sub movement on the floor are removed and that may make the bass sound cleaner...
I hear you and hope I didn't waste money. I don't have the room rattling and sub does not shake. All I get is clean bass with pressure at high at high spl's. Oh well could improve something I suppose.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Certainly no harm in trying it. I use them... Not sure how much they help with improving bass (all room variables removed), but the fact the subs are decoupled from the floor has helped reduce some rattle...

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Certainly no harm in trying it. I use them... Not sure how much they help with improving bass (all room variables removed), but the fact the subs are decoupled from the floor has helped reduce some rattle...
Stupid question..when people say rattle do they literally mean the house rattles?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,376 Posts
Stupid question..when people say rattle do they literally mean the house rattles?
In my case it was things in the house that rattled, like windows, closet doors, etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts