Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a full week of research i feel like my head is going to explode!

Im hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. 1st off i was just going to buy a screen, but believe i can get much better results from DIY, anyhow nearly everything in my theater so far (speakers, sub, surrounds) is DIY so it makes sense to continue the trend.

Then i looked into pro screen products (screen goo and others) and found these were expensive, and difficult/impossible to source.

so ive settled on making my own, with someones help of course!

Ive got a totally light controlled room (dark walls, floors, grey ceilings and curtains surrounding left-rear-right walls), and a mitsubishi hc7000 (on the way). below is a sketchup of the room layout

Im sitting 3.5mtr from the screen which i plan to make 96" in size. Ive been reading up on BW but have realised this probably isnt right as the room has no ambient light. MaxxMudd sounded perfect till i read about the hot spot issues. ive looked into a few others, but nothing so far has jumped out as a clear winner. Ultimately i understand that it may require some actual testing, but surely there is a formula for this kind of setup.

As a graphic designer, ive got a pretty keen eye for colour and this is why its important to me to achieve the best possible image quality. That said, I just want what everyone wants, deep blacks, bright whites, colour accuracy and balanced levels.

btw, was ganna spray onto 12mm mdf. Have a sheet lying round and decided to make use of it.

now all i need is some good paint advise.

cheers
Andrew

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
If ambient light isn't an issue, then try out a white screen first. If you like it stick with it. :T The HC700 is supposed to have superb contrast so white would be the simple solution. Dulux Rich Matte White if you can get it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Andrew!

Welcome to our little corner of HTS! :wave:

I just finished reading the review of your PJ (http://www.projectorcentral.com/mitsubishi_hc7000_projector_review.htm) and find it interesting that my PJ (a cheap presentation unit) in it's current setting has about the same ~300 Lumen output as yours will have in Eco mode, the huge difference being that your PJ has good black levels.

Even though the review makes the HC7000 seem like a dim PJ I find that I still prefer to use a gray screen to boost perceived image contrast and I honestly don't think the screen is too dim.

The point of using a gray screen is to either improve image contrast or to combat ambient light. If you intend to do most or your viewing in total darkness (or extremely close to it) you should have neither of these problems with your PJ. This means you can use a simple white screen! Don't worry about needing a screen with gain over 1.0 - you don't.

Addendum: I feel I should mention that a matte finish white screen is the perfect reflective screen. We only deviate from it's use to combat problems caused by either a given PJ or non-dark viewing conditions.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I have a dedicated theatre with dark walls and ceiling and use a plain white painted screen..
My projector is not in the same category as yours when it comes to contrast, but i still get very good blacks, and whites and a good colour balance..

I used Dulux Flat White for my screen..and just rolled it onto some MDF after undercoating it..
The Dulux paint is practically neutral and gives a gain of 1.0..
That's what I would recommend in your situation..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, not what i expected!
thankyou!, this has really simplified things. Due to marketing of pro screens/other screen products and some ppls posts I believed that a plain white matt paint would only go so far in creating a quality surface for front projection. Which is does, if you have ambient light or other control factors that need addressing. Which isnt to say I wont, but im settled on this as a starting point.

Which means i can finally just get on an build the screen. Even with something as a simple as a basic white turns out to be anything but that case, as i just came across roberts thread which was an interesting read. link

Lastly just confirming that the Dulux white you speak of is indeed the one below minus any tint?

Again many thanks for you replys,

Cheers
Andrew

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Andrew,

The review of your PJ sounded stellar with just a white screen so that was the deciding factor of me recommending a white screen to you. If I had your PJ I think I would still go for a Cream&Sugar™ screen just because I really like black blacks, but it sounds like it wouldn't really be necessary. If you ever have any light on in your home theater (say for people to move around safely during a party) you will almost assuredly notice a lessening of image contrast and color saturation on the screen, and a gray screen would be a solution to that; but you have stated that your viewing will be without lights in a dark painted room, thus the white screen recommend.

A white screen is what all the pros use whenever possible because it will ensure that every seat in the "house" will see the same image (within the optical ability of the PJ) because a white screen is a perfect diffuse reflector. This means there will be no dimming of the image as you move from the center seat (in-line with the PJ lens) to the end seats near the walls. A white screen with no added gain will not have a viewing cone. If you start adding gain to a screen (even a white screen) you will have a viewing angle (the seats by the wall will see a dimmer image) and the higher the gain the narrower the viewing cone.

Some projectors need help producing black blacks and thus need a gray screen even in a theater like yours, but your HC7000 isn't one of them. :T

If you find that you think you do need a gray screen to get more contrast in your image (such things do come down to individual preference), come on back. We are getting closer to having a version of Cream&Sugar™ that can be made in any country where the screen maker can buy Liquitex brand artist paints. It is already possible to make our dark gray screen mix, Black Widow™, in most countries and when C&S™ is available as well (our very light gray mix) you will also be able to make our medium gray mixes called Scorpion™. But try that white screen first. ;)

I can't advise you on what local white paint to get, but Mech and Prof. will steer you right. :T

As you have read in the thread you linked to, the white paints here in the U.S. are normally "warm" whites, but C&S™ is such a light gray that unless you compare it to a real white screen side-by-side you would think it was white; and C&S™ is color neutral.

Some folks on another forum make it seem like unless you are using one of the screen mixes they have designed that has lots of mica in it to raise screen gain you are getting a lesser quality image than is possible; to put it frankly that is a lot of bunk. Every screen that I tested using one of their mixes has hot-spotted for me. I believe Mech has reported the same thing. Some other users on that forum have reported success with these mixes, but between my experiences and Mech's I simply can't recommend them in good conscience.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Sorry for the late response Andrew..
I lost my Satellite service yesterday..I don't think the dish was able to handle 3 days of 39C. temperatures!!! :whew: :sweat:

Yes, that's the same paint I used..
I also used the Dulux One-coat for the sealer/undercoat..

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I believe that may be the exact paint that produced the spectrum above in my earlier post. It should be noted that it was not measured by me but by member <^..^>Smokey Joe. And since he runs a calibration business in New Zealand, I'd trust that curve! ;) You can't go wrong with that Dulux paint. :T

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for all the input. Its greatly appreciated. I'll chuck up some pics when its finished, though it might take awhile. Should be finished around Jan-Feb. Got a speaker project on the go and want to complete it 1st.

Cheers
Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts