Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently opening an outdoor restaurant in Thailand. Since majority of my customers are really big fan of English premier league football, I've had some thought about setting up a projector for them to watch the game while dining out. First I think that would be easy due to the fact that I already have an epson eb-w6 projector and a motorized 100 inches screen projector at home. In reality, the task is quite challenging. Here are some problems I'm facing right now.

1. Thailand has a very very very long rainy season. Sometimes the rain would pour down very strongly suddenly. This prevents me from placing a motorized screen projector outdoor.

2. I can not completely control the ambient light since my place is practically a restaurant. People will need to see what they are eating. Although my business hour starts around 18:00, there will always be some light in the background.

3. According to the calculation, I need to place my projector screen at least about 2 - 2.5 meters above the ground for all my audience to see from difference angle. But due to the hot weather during the day, I can not leave a normal hand pull projector outside. Hence, it's quite inconvenient for me to have to ask my employee to climb the stair to remove it everyday.

I search through the internet and found this site. And a lot of people here are talking about black widow, PFG projector screen. Considering the material involved, I think it's a perfect solution to my problem. I asked my employee to construct a fairly large board made of a material that could withstand rain and sunlight for me. And this is where I got stuck. I can not find Autoair color aluminium anywhere in my area. I already went through 4 different hardware stores yesterday and none of them even heard of the name before. They were asking me if it's some kind of bronze color oil based paint. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. From what I understand, it's basically a kind of color that you use an airbrush to spray on a car and it's a water-based paint, er....right? My question is what would be the kind of people that would recognize this type of material, specifically autoair color aluminium? Should the people at custom paint car garage recognize it? Does it have any other names? Can it be use for different purpose other than car painting? :gah:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi thaiguy,

Welcome to HTS!

To answer your question, Auto Air Aluminum (fine) is designed to be an automotive paint used to paint cars, motorcycles etc. It is water-based, which is very improtant for our purpose since we mix it with water-based house paint.

Your best chance of finding it locally would be stores that cater to body shops or businesses that do custom painting of cars. Auto Air has a dealer locater page at http://www.autoaircolors.com/dealer/dealer_frames.html, but I didn't see any listing for suppliers in Thailand.

That Epson EB-W6 looks like it would have enough brightness to do what you want. A 100" screen would give you a maximum of about 70 foot-lamberts of brightness, that should combat a lot of ambient light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your clarification on the property of autoair color aluminium. Anyway, I went to the largest hardware store in my area where most people who do car custom paint go to get their supplies. The bad news is they said that the paint job for cars in Thailand primarily uses oil based material, so they don't have any supply for water based stuff. And to make the matter worse they said that I am probably the first person to ask them for water based color. :gah: But the good news is they are willing to talk to their dealers if autoair color aluminium is available for sell in Thailand. So wish me luck. Otherwise I'll probably end up ordering it somewhere from the internet. Talking about ordering autoair color aluminium, do you know of any suppliers that do international shipping? :help:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it possible to use luminous white color instead bermuda beige in order to produce a black widow screen?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
is it possible to use luminous white color instead bermuda beige in order to produce a black widow screen?
If you mean using white paint that has not been tinted to match the PPG Bermuda Beige color, then no. One of the outstanding attributes of a Black Widow screen is that it is an extremely neutral gray. The pinkish beige appearance of the Bermuda Beige color is what compensates for the blueness of the Auto Air Aluminum (fine) when it is added to white paint.

Are you having problems having white paint tinted to PPG Bermuda Beige?

·
Registered
184 Posts
i'm thinking that s0907-y70r is going to be easier to locate in thailand than bermuda beige

Thaiguy - if you can locate a dulux or ICI store in thailand they should be able to tint to s0907

http://www.icipaints.com/contactwizard/go?action=brandDetails&regionId=4000690&countryId=4000767&customerType=all&brandId=4000947

unfortunately we have yet to match a dulux paint using their current tinting codes(master palette).

hopefully they use the same computers as in the UK - UK dulux still store the codes from their older tinting system (NCS 2). s0907-y70r is a code from NCS 2.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
You are absolutely correct Custy! Sorry thaiguy, I keep forgetting people might have problems matching a U.S. paint company color. S0907 (the color tint code) in Dulux paint is the best bet so far.

Thaiguy, can you take a sample of the color you want your paint to be to your paint store and have it computer matched by them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not know if this is the right place to post, but I recently repainted my projector screen originally white with the black widow. I also had apprehension that the color would not be found in Mauritius. However, I just went to those shops who do custom color mixing and they are mushrooming in Mauritius, and gave them the reference s0907-y70r. They had it in their computer and were able to mix it for me in less than 15 minutes. 1 liter came out quite cheap too. Please note that these are local companies, with locally registered brands.

Next, came the aluminum paint. I knew there would be no such thing as AAA you mention, so I went to car paint resellers and asked for 250ml of car aluminum paint, any brand. The guy was sceptical when I told him I intended mixing it with a water base paint.

I bought a suitable mixing tool to be used with the electric drill and thoroughly mixed them. I painted them with a brush.

And guess what, the screen is performing very well. No more white wash due to light, colors are vibrant.

My point is, it is very cheap to try out. You can use any automotive paint.

Thank you for your great paint. Nice job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts