Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am looking for suggestions for Preamp/Processors.
Bdget 1K or less.
I woild also be interested in Receivers with pre outs for LCR

Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Seems like 1K processors do not exist. Might havd to stick with a receiver with the pre out option.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yamaha, NAD, Onkyo (Integra), all very good brands. I own them all. Pre-pro.
I have been wondering what a Pre-Pro does exactly ? My gear is listed below. Do I need to invest in one ? Thank you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob,
Its basically an HT receiver without the amplification. I like the option of changing my amplification for more power or better quality. If you like what you have there is no need to invest in one. It really just comes down to what you are looking for.

·
Registered
309 Posts
In my case, we have B&K plus Emotiva separate amplifiers for all channels. It has always been my opinion that better sound quality is available when you have separate components.

My current Preamp-Processor in the theater is the Yamaha CX-A5200. It has Dolby-Atmos, and there are 15 speakers in my theater.

My NAD T-163 Preamp is serving pedestrian duty in a 2.1 stereo listening room. It’s a fine preamp, but limited to 7.1 channels.

My Integra Preamp was great, but it was limited to 9.2 channels, so I sold it to an online dealer.
It all comes down to $$$, and your budget.

Personal budget (wife?) is a huge factor. That’s why I recently purchased two more subs (4 total), Klipsch R-12SW’s, for the rear of our theater. These are on sale for a paltry $169.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Denon 3700 can be had for under $1000 USD. Denon's in this series have excellent pre-out signal quality unlike most ALL other AVR's (see Audio Science Review and Audioholics tests), and can be used as a true pre-pro as you can all internal amps off (or just L/R and use the built-in amps for surrounds etc.).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Denon 3700 can be had for under $1000 USD. Denon's in this series have excellent pre-out signal quality unlike most ALL other AVR's (see Audio Science Review and Audioholics tests), and can be used as a true pre-pro as you can all internal amps off (or just L/R and use the built-in amps for surrounds etc.).
This home theater or AV receiver works an ideal AV pre-processor on the new Pre-Amplifier Mode. It functions perfectly with the most advanced HDMI connectivity. The Pre-Amplifier Mode disconnects internal amplifiers to offer a cleaner signal path and improved tolerance in the clipping level.

The online street price is $1300.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. That one looks good.
You would think that these companies would make a pre/pro for 550 to 600 since they can make a receiver for $1,200.
Don't get why pre/pros get so expensive and some don't even have the same feature set as receivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,
I am looking for suggestions for Preamp/Processors.
Bdget 1K or less.
I woild also be interested in Receivers with pre outs for LCR

Thanks.
I actually have an Anthem MRX 720 thats about 4 months old that I would be willing to sell if you are interested. I am looking to pick up a Krell setup so am going to sell this Receiver. I also have an older Denon AVR 6200w that I have here in another room as well I am sure we can work out some price. I am in the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A 5.1 setup is fine for me. When I listen to music in 2 ch mode I want the best sound possible out of the setup.
I'm not interested in building two systems like I had in the past, so I want something that has excellent 2 channel performance and I want to stick to a reasonable budget.

I'm going to build the stereo setup first since the space where the full setup will be isn't ready yet.

I've decided to go with the Jamo Concert 9 series C 95II. Well see how Iike them.
I have a small tube preamp to use until I get a receiver or processor.

I'm looking at 2 channel amps now. 200W.
Emotive, Rotel along those used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try looking at Outlaw Audio Model 976. Great stuff for the money! I have owned two of their products with zero complaints. The only thing lacking is Dolby Atmos.

·
Registered
309 Posts
One of the best buys for a power amp is Emotiva. We have two of their separate amps in my system (the rest are B&K). Emotiva has build quality that is first rate, as good as any high dollar brand name.
And the sound is clean, and pure. Highly recommended. I noticed that their pricing has crept upwards lately.

And here is a legendary amp, the Onkyo M-501. I own three of these, and they are awesome amps. Only available on the used market today, but they are as good as anything that you can buy new at pennies on the dollar. Plus these were manufactured in Japan, NOT China!

·
Registered
309 Posts
300 watts, 4 ohms. The Emotiva BASX-A300 does that, and has tons of headroom, all in a single chassis, two channels. I'm the proud owner of two of these. Perfect performance. Beautiful build.
$399

1 - 20 of 24 Posts