Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering whether anyone out there has done a thorough evaluation of the mentioned amps, need do decide on one for a basic (5.1) but excellent home cinema set-up. The system will be used mainly for cinema and some music with decent speakers such as the KEF iQ series.

I quite like the Onkyo TX NR906 for it's value and features but I need some input from those that have had practical experience with both.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The Onkyo is far more powerful and offers better video processing. In a sense, it should, the 906 is Onkyo's flagship model. At least compared to the 3310. The 906 is also a good bit more powerful than the 4310 even though they are priced similarly. Also, with the Onkyo, you get THX Ultra2 Certification which you do not with the Onkyo's.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
The Onkyo is far more powerful and offers better video processing. In a sense, it should, the 906 is Onkyo's flagship model. At least compared to the 3310. The 906 is also a good bit more powerful than the 4310 even though they are priced similarly. Also, with the Onkyo, you get THX Ultra2 Certification which you do not with the Onkyo's.
Cheers,
JJ
Thanks JJ, have you actually heard all those amps ? What do you think about the Denon 4310 compared to the Onkyo 906 ?

You mentioned the video processing is better on the Onkyo which I find very interesting, up-scaling Standard Def DVDs to 1080p is very important to me. So, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that the up-scaling quality of the Onkyo (HQV Reon-VX based) is better than the 4310 (ABT 2010) ?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Compared to the 4310, the TX-SR906 offers more power, THX Certification, and I do prefer Reon over Anchor Bay's ABT-2010 scaler.

With Denon, it seems you pay a premium for the Denon name. In addition, the only THX Certified Denon AVR is the uber expensive 5308. Not even the 2000 Dollar plus 4808 is THX Certified.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The big thing with THX certification is that you get some really nice sorround modes with it that are very usefull. I dont really think that the lack of certification on the Denons is really a bad thing as they are very capable receivers but Onkyo really has the best bang for buck in almost all there price range receivers.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Tony, I should have made that more clear as that is why I prefer THX certified processors. THX Ultra2 Cinema mode and Neural THX I use almost exclusively. Also BGC (Boundary Gain Compensation) is quite handy in getting the best sound out of your Subwoofer in certain situations.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
Compared to the 4310, the TX-SR906 offers more power, THX Certification, and I do prefer Reon over Anchor Bay's ABT-2010 scaler.

With Denon, it seems you pay a premium for the Denon name. In addition, the only THX Certified Denon AVR is the uber expensive 5308. Not even the 2000 Dollar plus 4808 is THX Certified.
Cheers,
JJ
I appreciate your views on the scaler and the fact that your preference lies with Reon. Although, I'm not sure about the significance of THX certification in a 5.1 setup.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Sam,
It is not about the certification, it is about the added listening modes. I use THX Ultra2 Cinema and THX Neural Surround almost exclusively. In addition, the Subwoofer options can really help to dial in you sub.

In addition, the Onkyo you are looking at has a much more powerful amplifier section. Depending on your Speakers and preferred listening levels, can make a huge difference.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
With THX certification you get several surround modes that are only available on receivers with THX certification. These modes are as Jack said far superior to using the regular modes that normally come with receivers and add extra processing that enhance the experience even more. I as well use them almost every time I watch a movie.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I just labored intensely on which of these models to purchase. I can get Denon and Onkyo at cost... and even a little more off Denon if used as a demo unit, which it would be. I ended up choosing the 906 since our distributor had a few left over at ridiculously low pricing. While it is a bit beefier in the amp section... I suspect they both are going to have very close to the same sound. You will get a few of the latest features with the Denon that the Onkyo does not offer, but these are features I would not be using, so they were not as important to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Jack and Tony,

I think I understand what you mean. One obviously enjoys the THX DSP Modes on top of the ones offered by Dolby and DTS.

Thank you very much for that clarification.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Intend to use the amp (Denon or Onkyo) with KEF speakers, I think it will be the KEF iQ range of speakers which are supposed to be excellent.

Some argue that although both the Denon & Onkyo are very good for cinema sound, the Denon is better for music than the Onkyo. I hear most of my music in surround mode and like the sound stage that is created when music is converted from stereo to multi-channel e.g. via Dolby PLII. I have some music in DTS 5.1 and it sounds awesome.

From what people have mentioned in this post, the Onkyo 906 seems to be a more powerful amp (per channel) than the Denon 4310 and I think for me it's important to have a gutsy amp.

A fellow member also positively commented on the HQV Reon-VX based up-scaler in comparison to the ABT2010 and that is another aspect that is important to me.

Cheers everybody for your useful and informative input :T

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know amp manufacturers tend to over specify the power ratings of their amps. Has anyone done a realistic check or evaluation on the power of the Onkyo 906 and Denon 4310 in terms of true per channel rating at 8 Ohms and 0.02 THD ?

Onkyo specifies a higher rating at 6 ohms and has no mention of the rating at 8 ohms. This can be very misleading :foottap:

Would be good to get real world performance values.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just labored intensely on which of these models to purchase. I can get Denon and Onkyo at cost... and even a little more off Denon if used as a demo unit, which it would be. I ended up choosing the 906 since our distributor had a few left over at ridiculously low pricing. While it is a bit beefier in the amp section... I suspect they both are going to have very close to the same sound. You will get a few of the latest features with the Denon that the Onkyo does not offer, but these are features I would not be using, so they were not as important to me.
Did you manage to get a demo of both before you took the step ?

Would love to hear about your own experience in terms of Audio (Music & Movie) and Video (SD DVD Up-Scaling) capability.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi Sam, I have owned Onkyo and have owned 1 Denon amp in the past which was the A11XVA and while good I found it to be slightly on the warmer side, I know it is not the same as the amps as you are looking at but with the experience I have had I prefered the Onkyo's for Movies performance, with the Denon being a better choice for music...can you not demo the above amps as you really do need to hear for yourself and then decide what you prefer..

one point I will say is that for the money the Onkyo's are most certainly better VFM for what you get and if it were my money I have no hesitation in recommending the Onkyo over the Denon's...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sam with regard to the power ratings it really lies in how large a power supply the receiver has as to IF it can drive all speakers at its rated output (most can not) The Onkyo lineup of receivers 876 and above all have huge PS's compared to there competition and are actually able to do so with very little trouble.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sam with regard to the power ratings it really lies in how large a power supply the receiver has as to IF it can drive all speakers at its rated output (most can not) The Onkyo lineup of receivers 876 and above all have huge PS's compared to there competition and are actually able to do so with very little trouble.
Thanks for that information, I appreciate it.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Did you manage to get a demo of both before you took the step ?

Would love to hear about your own experience in terms of Audio (Music & Movie) and Video (SD DVD Up-Scaling) capability.
Nah... no demo places in these parts. I have owned several (4-5) Denon receivers and this is my 3rd Onkyo. As far as sound... I have never been able to tell a dimes worth of difference in any of them... and that includes a couple of NAD T785 receivers as well. They are all very neutral other than what the various surrounds modes might do to the signal. Sound wise I highly suspect there will be a difference. The differences will be more in features.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Personally, I think that the Onkyo TX-NR906 is a more powerful receiver, with better build quality
than the Denon AVR-3310/4310. And by quite a large margin.

You just have to read reviews of the 906 and 4310CI to realise that.
Also, the bench tests are quite revelatory themselves.

* By the way, the 906 has five Burr-Brown PCM-1796A Dacs,
the 4310CI has four Burr-Brown PCM-1791A Dacs, if that makes any difference.

And the 906 weights a hefty 54 lbs with a toroidal main transformer, plus two additional ones.
By comparison, the 4310CI weights 34.8 lbs (that's 20 pounds less!).
And the 4310CI is not THX certified, and does not have a toroidal.

** I got pictures (links) of the internals of the 906 and the 4310CI, interested?
Only if Sonnie agrees.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Well The onkyo TX-NR906, as most of you already know, has been replaced by the TX-NR5007.
You can have a look here, but you need your Google toolbar 'Translation' feature for this.
It is loaded with the latest, including Audyssey DSX, for Height & Width channels, and Dolby Volume too.
There are five TI B-B PCM-1795a Dacs in it (32-bit/192khz), for a total 9.1-channel system.
* Onkyo TX-NR5007 Look -> http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2009/onkyo_txnr5007.shtml

And the closest Denon model that can be directly compared to it, is the Denon AVR-4810CI,
also carrying Audyssey DSX; but here with the capability to run Height and Width channels at the same time,
as opposed to the Onkyo model, which you can only run the Height (with Back Surrounds),
or Width (with also the Back Surrounds), both not both Height and Width speakers together.
There are six TI B-B PCM-1791a Dacs in it (24-bit/192khz), for a total 9.3-channel system.
And count them, there are fifteen set of speaker's binding posts! :eek:
* Denon AVR-4810CI Review -> http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2009/denon_avr4810.shtml

The best street price for the Onkyo TX-NR5007 is $1,599 USA, maybe less for an open box.
The 5007 weights 55.1 lbs (25.0 kg) net, and power consumption is rated at 12.8 A.
And the best price for the Denon AVR-4810CI is $2,199 USA.
The 4810 weights 42.1 lbs (19.1 kg) net, and power consumption is rated at 9.5 A.

The Denon AVR-3310CI and the AVR-4310CI are simply not in the same league.
They are very light weight compared to the two above, with 28.4 lbs (12.9 kg) & 34.8 lbs (15.8 kg) respectively,
and with a power consumption rating of 7.0 A & 8.1 A also respectively.

))) Personally, I would pick the Onkyo TX-NR5007, but that's just me. :bigsmile:
And to even greater savings, the Onkyo TX-NR906 would be an absolute and tremendous bargain,
for around $999 USA street. And my Onkyo TX-SR876 is now only $799 USA, and brand new too!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts