Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last November I did a major upgrade to my home theater system by purchasing the Pioneer VSX 1021-K receiver and an LG LED TV and Blu-ray player. After spending hours and days setting up and fine tuning the whole system, everything was working perfectly. Eventually I stopped using the system a few months ago. A couple of days ago I decided to watch a movie or something on the TV, but when I turned everything on, I could not get an HDMI signal to the TV. With this particular model I opted to utilize HDMI for all of my components. I have done just about everything I can think of to get it working again. I've updated the firmware on the TV and the receiver, switched HDMI cables, swapped HDMI connections on the TV, rebooted everything, ran the AV Navigator program etc. All I can get is sound, but no video. Has anyone else experienced a situation similar to this? I have one more check to do to rule out the TV, which is to hook up another LCD monitor to the receiver. If I still cannot get a picture, then the problem has to be with the receiver. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Welcome to HTS!!! :D Sorry that a problem brought you to our pages.

As you stated, you've tried changing cables, firmware updates and did reboots. You could try unplugging the equipment for a few minutes. Strangely enough, that will sometimes fix a problem.

You may be having an HDMI "handshake" issue, so try bypassing the AVR, letting the equipment "see" the TV and then re-route back through the AVR. If none of these things help then trying another TV is a good idea.

I hope that this helps; please let us know if you need more help! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Welcome to HTS! HDMI can be very finicky indeed due to the handshake requirements. Does your receiver have a processor reset button? That may help, but likely will erase any setup info, like speaker size, etc. So you would have to re-run all that. But before doing that, and as wgmontgomery recommended, bypass the receiver to see if it is the culprit.

Does your receiver have an on-screen display? If so, do you get anything on screen when you switch inputs, change volume, etc? If so, that pretty much indicates that the link from the receiver to the TV is OK. Also, if your receiver has a special function to select which HDMI input to use for each source (like HDMI 1 for Blu Ray, etc.), did you check to see if that got reset somehow?

Let us know if this doesn't work. I can't think of anything else to try right now, but other members may.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say "bypassing the AVR" do you mean connecting from the blu-ray/cable box directly to the TV, or do you mean something else? I did connect each component to the TV and they were successful in sending the signals. I actually got sidetracked and started watching "Rango", but that's not important.
As far as a "processor reset button", if you mean something to reset it to factory defaults, yes I did that, and it didn't change anything. I contacted Pioneer, and they told me to take it to an authorized repair shop locally, which I am going to do tomorrow. Thanks, everyone for the input. I will give an update if and when it comes back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts