Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share a sub build I have planned and will start sometime in the not to distant future. Most of the info is as per title. This will be around a 100 litre cab as per the recipients requirements, ported and tuned to 18hz using a 500 watt plate amp. Currently the owner is looking at the O-Audio Bash amp, but as its really for sealed sub then alternatives are welcome. The driver is as above and attached are some screen shots of a 3D model moc kup I have done for you to give the once over, as well as the WinISD spl model.

Any and all comments welcome.

I'll update once I start building it.

Cheers

Shot 1.jpg

Shot 2.jpg

Shot 3.jpg

Shot 4.jpg

Shot 5.jpg

Shot 6 (1000 x 602).jpg

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Looks nice Dan, Personally I would go with 1000 watts input power because with a hpf you will be up by 3db at 20hz and excursion is still in toe. Was there a particular reason for only going with 500 watts. Is that because you defo have to go the plate amp route.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plate amp has been specified by the guy I'm gonna build it for, he wants a plate amp and budget is dictating a little I think. 3db isnt the end of the world, and I think this will be a decent performer for its size and cost.

Mike, the driver file is below. Ive modelled it on 105 litres, 18hz tune with a slot port 200mm x 50mm about 800mm long, and 500 watts input. No filters as yet. A double check would be great :T

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Ah! I see, with 500 watts you would only need a 2nd hpf at 14hz. I thought I read somewhere that the PB13 measured 105db at 20hz. I could have got that wrong.

Its sure going to be a cute little box which will surprise alot of people when they hear it. What are the outside dimensions?

Oh! I see you have been playing with Sketchup. Best little program on the planet.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive been trying to explain that to the recipient but no luck so far, he actually wants to use the 16hz boosts, which Ive been advising him against doing, but he's not having it. He has 10" subs in his speakers and want max low end output. Ive told him the cab needs to be bigger to get the results he wants, and this is best that can be done with this size cab, but he wants the tune as low as possible.

We'll see how it goes.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah! I see, with 500 watts you would only need a 2nd hpf at 14hz. I thought I read somewhere that the PB13 measured 105db at 20hz. I could have got that wrong.

Its sure going to be a cute little box which will surprise alot of people when they hear it. What are the outside dimensions?

Oh! I see you have been playing with Sketchup. Best little program on the planet.

cheers

Graham
Yeah output should be good for its size and power, and I know SQ will be pretty good.

As for sketchup, really finding it quick and easy now and starting to enjoy using it, it certainly makes showing your ideas of very easy :yes:

You should have mithered me to get stuck in sooner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like how you integrated the port. Clever design.

That was my Design to do the port like this.

We have decided on a larger cube in the end - it will allow a lower output without causing damage - im not really after HIGH output just a nice flat responce.

Thanks

Craig

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The porting works well with the bracing for sure. There a bit of a difference between saying, I want the port in the middle and out the bottom, and actually making a working model though :D

Here I fixed your quote for you:

That was my Idea to do the port like this.

We have decided on a larger cube in the end - it will allow a lower output without causing damage - im not really after HIGH output just a nice flat responce.

Thanks

Craig
:rofl:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
That's why alot of novice subwoofer builders would be very lost without winisd. That's the good thing about slot ports and that they can be put anywhere aslong as they are the correct height, length and width. I would say personally it sounds like the plate amp being used is holding back what the driver actually is capable off doing in the low end department.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thing is, with this cab, the sub isnt going to be capable of much greater performance. The driver will be fine, and operating very cleanly at least. The size is the limiting factor not the driver, and I cant think f any other driver that would offer much greater performance for the same cost or less.

We can always get more, but we have to fit these into our homes, so the size has to be kept reasonable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The porting works well with the bracing for sure. There a bit of a difference between saying, I want the port in the middle and out the bottom, and actually making a working model though :D

Here I fixed your quote for you:

:rofl:
Well it was my idea to do this design then:D

I can think o the designs i just amo not that good at putting them on paper.

Anywho - going with 1000watts is just not really needed for me, going 1000 will also create more problems as port speed would be too high and i will need an even bigger box which is just not viable for me.

Craig

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I think your forgetting that you will need a hpf whether you go the 500 or 1000 watts and that will reduce the port speed anyway. My big 11 cu ft subs have a port speed of 38 m/s at 10hz and I don't get any port noise even at very loud volumes. In fact I haven't had any since building them and I don't use a hpf but then my subs are 311 litres each. Yours with a hpf should be fine but if you could stretch to 150 litres with 1000 watts and a hpf engaged you would almost again 8db at 15hz over the 500 watts 100 litre sub and that would give you alot more low end which you desire.

Just a thought.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think your forgetting that you will need a hpf whether you go the 500 or 1000 watts and that will reduce the port speed anyway. My big 11 cu ft subs have a port speed of 38 m/s at 10hz and I don't get any port noise even at very loud volumes. In fact I haven't had any since building them and I don't use a hpf but then my subs are 311 litres each. Yours with a hpf should be fine but if you could stretch to 150 litres with 1000 watts and a hpf engaged you would almost again 8db at 15hz over the 500 watts 100 litre sub and that would give you alot more low end which you desire.

Just a thought.

cheers

Graham
Hi Graham - As mentioned in my previous post we have decided to go with a larger box(140 liters) and from the start i as intending to use a HPF :)

Thanks

Craig

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Given the fact the driver only reaches xmax under full power at 13hz, you could get away without a HPF, but I can understand you wanting to implement one. Just remember the boost option on the amp your intending to use will be fighting it if you do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts