Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't gotten the sub yet but i figured i could get a head start on the box. The specs are....

Acoustic Elegance AV15-X driver
35"x21.5"x21.5" for a total internal volume of 7.7 cu.ft.
3/4" mdf
19hz tune by either 2 4" ports or 1 6" port
240 watt dayton plate amp for power

should be around 7.25-7 cu.ft. after driver, port, and bracing

here's what i got done this afternoon
pieces cut

the very organized workspace

mocked up

got a few pieces glued together and the rest in place

the old sub in its home in the workshop

I might get some more done tomorrow, but we have some field work to do but who knows.

also, note to self: BUY A TABLE SAW!!!!!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Looks like you don't need a table saw anymore. Of course if you decide to build more, I suppose you would. Always a good investment if you would with wood much.

I am not really familiar with that sub, but is 240 watts enough power for it? That sounds a bit weak, but maybe not.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you don't need a table saw anymore. Of course if you decide to build more, I suppose you would. Always a good investment if you would with wood much.

I am not really familiar with that sub, but is 240 watts enough power for it? That sounds a bit weak, but maybe not.
It sure would have turned out nicer if i had a tablesaw to use, it wasn't until about the 3rd cut that i realized that my circular saw had a bent base and i was making some cuts at an angle. So several of the pieces are just a little bit off, just enough to make assembly a pain. on top of that the jigsaw i normally use is very old and doesn't like the 3/4" mdf too much. I will probably have to call up my cousin and see if i could borrow his router to make the cuts for the driver and port, but im not even sure if he has one:wits-end:

the sub can handle 1000 watts but at over 90db/watt efficiency I should be able to expect 108db at 20hz, which is better than i could ever hope to get out of that poor little 10". I do plan to upgrade to a more powerful amp, but not for a while so this one will have to do. Also, with only 240 watts and an 18hz hpf i wont have to worry about exceeding xmax or anything like that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't get much done today, it was up into the 90's today so i wasn't too motivated. That and a friend of mine wanted help building a box for his 12" sub in his pickup so i was working on that today (it sounded pretty good when we got done btw). I did get all the pieces planed down so that the whole box fits together nicely and i can hopefully glue and screw some more of it together tomorrow. AE says that it will be 1-2 weeks before the sub will be shipped so that's kind of a bummer but oh well, nothing i can do about that. At least that way I wont rush through so i can take my time to make it look nice. I'm going to try using drywall compound to smooth out all my mess ups and get it looking nice for paint. The next thing i need to decide is what to do about bracing, decisions, decisions.......

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Look at some of these other builds for bracing ideas... :T

Did AE tell you why the driver would be delayed?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at some of these other builds for bracing ideas... :T

Did AE tell you why the driver would be delayed?
Their website says that they don't keep any drivers in stock, you order one, they build it just for you and ship it to you. Their website said typical wait time is 14 days. Ive already been looking around for bracing ideas, just got to choose one now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I got all but the lat side panel glued, screwed, and caulked yesterday. Today I'm going to see if my neighbor has any 6" pvc so i can get that ready to go, 25.5" i believe is what it would take to tune it to 19hz. I'll get some more pics if anything really exciting happens:D

Would my local hardware store carry hurricane nuts? I checked their website and could t find anything.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quick question regarding port placement. Its looking like i will have 6.5+" of clearance in all directions but one side that is closer to 3", will this be a problem? This is with a single 6"x25.5" port that my neighbor gave to me:D, I also picked up some t-nuts and joint compound and got started smoothing the seams so today was a good day.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The port should be fine. Are you going to flare the ends?
i was planning on running a roundover on the outside and doing something to the inside, not sure what can be done, on my last build i made a donut looking thing that went over the inside end of the port.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What program were you using that showed you are going to be able to reach 108db at 20 HZ? I just cannot see that size amp being able to get you there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, I did some looking around and also running some Winisd information and your box size and tune does not look bad at all. I actually found another person who’s build with that driver was close to yours (and he was very satisfied with it). Have you all ready picked up that amp though? If not, I would probably look at a EP1500 or EP2500 if you budget would allow for it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I did some looking around and also running some Winisd information and your box size and tune does not look bad at all. I actually found another person who’s build with that driver was close to yours (and he was very satisfied with it). Have you all ready picked up that amp though? If not, I would probably look at a EP1500 or EP2500 if you budget would allow for it.
I wish my budget would allow for a bigger amp right now but it doesn't, I had the 240 watt amp powering my 10" sub and it will have to do for now.

here is what i came up with, 7ft3

with polyfill making 7.7ft3

·
Registered
114 Posts
driscoz71,

On your graph above, how many watts did you have in the signal tab? Any update on your driver being shipped? Both of my AV15-H's just shipped last week.

James

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
driscoz71,

On your graph above, how many watts did you have in the signal tab? Any update on your driver being shipped? Both of my AV15-H's just shipped last week.

James
240, but i forgot to add the 18hz hpf. I am still waiting on an email back regarding my subs status

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How long ago did you order? It took my order a little over a month to ship.
last Tuesday i believe, at least the box is coming along nicely

Took the box over to my cousins house today and he put a roundover on all the edges as well as the port opening, I also got the port cut down nice and square on their very nice bandsaw and got it partially mounted in the box, just need to get some liquid nails to attach it. He didnt have a circle jig to cut out the sub opening so i guess i will just have to do that with a compass and jigsaw and hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts