Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm looking to build a ported 15" subwoofer built into an endtable. A reasonable size end table will get me about 6 cubic feet of internal volume before vent, driver, and brace volume. I'd like it tuned around 20hz, the lower the better, i think.

I will be using it for 70% home theater 30% music, but music performance is important to me. I plan to power it with either an EP1500 or EP2500. It is going into a room of about 2500 cubic feet, although the room is mostly open to the rest of the first floor.

I plan to build two identical end tables but only use one as a subwoofer at this time. Wiould an EP1500 be enough to drive two of these subs in the future?

So which driver do you think would be the best? Based on my research it seems as though the AV15H would be the best as it seems to work well in small boxes and has excellent SQ and midbass. Thoughts? All are about the same price.

Also where can I find info about sizing the port correctly? Whether it be a slot port or tubular.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
159 Posts
Personally, I would go with the AV15X/H subs. If you go with a small box, the AV15H would be a better choice than the AV15X model. I have a AV15X sub in a 8cf box with 18" PR's tuned at 15.5hz. The H model will give you 1-2db's more below 20hz or so and the AV15X (in a bigger box) will give you 1-2db's more above 40hz to about 80hz or so.

Before the AV15X, I used a CCS SDX 15" and a TC 3K 15". I like the AV15X the best, it has the best mid-bass while the TC sub is better below 30hz or so. For low bass, the AV15X/SDX sub's performance is almost the same while the AV15X sub is a little better in the mid-bass (50-100hz). I still have all three subs and plan to do a comparison of them all this month. I have the SDX sub getting repaired right now (coil) so when I get it back in a few days, I'll do a mini-shootout between them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm running a a pair of AV15Xs in approximately 4cu ft enclosures which will, over Xmas, become end tables and I am absolutely loving them. I chose them on the basis of web-wide user comments regarding the quality of the upper bass and have to say I have not been disappointed.

Oodles of output low down, and a real sledgehammer kick through the upper bass, whilst remaining completely invisible as music subs - it simply sounds like you have massive speakers with no sense of subwoofer type bass at all.

Incidentally, I am running mine off an EP4000, with the smaller boxes no doubt helping to protect the drivers, but also sucking up power. According to Unibox (I don't like WinISD), I'm only just exceeding Xmax at about 10Hz, but even so the excursion is still well short of Xmech. If you are planning to go dual sub in the future, I doubt an EP1500 would be man enough and the EP2500 would be a minimum.

Russell

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike P,

I would also add that I am more critical about the music quality of the subs than HT, but of course would still like 20hz performance for HT. Do you think the SDX15 is better in the low frequencies?

Russ.will,

That is excellent news. I did notice you are using them sealed. Do you feel you have adequate home theater performance with them?

I'm sure i'll be happy with whatever I go with. My current sub is a 150w Yamaha 8".

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I'm running a a pair of AV15Xs in approximately 4cu ft enclosures which will, over Xmas, become end tables and I am absolutely loving them. I chose them on the basis of web-wide user comments regarding the quality of the upper bass and have to say I have not been disappointed.

Oodles of output low down, and a real sledgehammer kick through the upper bass, whilst remaining completely invisible as music subs - it simply sounds like you have massive speakers with no sense of subwoofer type bass at all.

Incidentally, I am running mine off an EP4000, with the smaller boxes no doubt helping to protect the drivers, but also sucking up power. According to Unibox (I don't like WinISD), I'm only just exceeding Xmax at about 10Hz, but even so the excursion is still well short of Xmech. If you are planning to go dual sub in the future, I doubt an EP1500 would be man enough and the EP2500 would be a minimum.

Russell
+1 on the above. I've been and had a listen to them :T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The H is supposed to be tuned slightly lower than the X, so may be preferable in this case if one was to choose the AE drivers. If the drivers are comparable though, which they certainly seem to be on both price and performance, then perhaps going with the more popular of the 2 is the way forward, which looks like the SDX15 in the US?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good everyone. I think I will be going with the AV15H.

It sounds like it should be great with music as well as HT. Plus its mostly made in the USA which is a bonus.

·
Registered
142 Posts
...That is excellent news. I did notice you are using them sealed. Do you feel you have adequate home theater performance with them?
Absolutely, although my overriding criteria was music capability as well as HT grunt. If the former was lacking, then it would have been back to the drawing board regardless of how good the latter.

I'm sure i'll be happy with whatever I go with. My current sub is a 150w Yamaha 8".
That may be the understatement of 2009.:D

Russell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts