Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventually I'll build my 20 cubic foot LLT. But for now, I want to build a sealed box for my avalanche 18. It'll be run with an EP2500 and a feedback destroyer pro. It'll be used for 80% movies, 10% games, and 10% music. How big should I make it? Right now I'm thinking about a 2' cube. That should net around 7 cubic feet after displacement and bracing. I have two velodyne 10's now.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
24" cube is about 6.5cuft with only 3/4" walls. I usually double up on walls and then add some bracing which would put me closure at 5cuft net after driver.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
24" cube is about 6.5cuft with only 3/4" walls. I usually double up on walls and then add some bracing which would put me closure at 5cuft net after driver.
I was thinking single wall, double baffle, with bracing. 24" sound nice because it would only take one sheet.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Well brace very well as 15/18's can definitely flex walls.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
15/18's??

edit: You meant 15's and 18's. I'm a little slow today.
Ya sorry about that. I know you are using an 18 but I just wanted to say that even a 15 can flex the walls a bit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also debating being lazy and buying a mini Marty flat pack. Because if that's enough, I don't have to build the huge LLT I had planned. Where as I don't know if the sealed box will have enough low end.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Is that the 3.5cuft tuned to 17hz?

·
Registered
334 Posts
For some reason the pic isn't showing up on my phone.

MiniMarty 2' by 30" by 36" ~17hz tuning in 10cuft

Or

MiniMarty 2' by 2' by 40" ~17hz tuning in 9cuft box

Here's a link to the for sale thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/1529375-martysub-flatpacks-veneer-flatpacks.html
I'm building myself a Mini Marty (so I can make it downfiring w/ legs) myself using a 15" SI D2.

The guys on AVS make some good flatpacks. IIRC there is another guy making a flatpack thats more shallow and vents off to the side and looks to be good. Also meant for 15 - 18" subs...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts