Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posed this question in a couple places to get some thoughts. Someone I PM'd here suggested I start a thread on it....

I am looking to replace my Integra DTR 5.9 from 5+ years ago. I am running a 5 channel Polk LSi setup (LSi 15 fronts, LSiC center, LSi F/X bipole/dipole side surrounds). I am powering them with a B&K 200.5 amplifier. I am building a DIY sub (Martysub enclosure w Stereo Integrity D2 15" woofer + Dayton SA-1000 amplifier) and using a MiniDSP + UMIK mic to measure and EQ the sub.

I am focused mainly on HT and some music but nothing really critically down here.

I am looking to get a AVR w the following features:

9.2 or better pre-outs
6 or more HDMI ports
HDMI 1.4
3d capable
Upscaling to HDMI
Really good EQ
Something that wont blow a HDMI board lots (My Integra has gone through 3, making me happy I had a 3 year warranty on it)

Things I don't really care about:

Extra Zones (either video or audio)
Network connections (nice if there, if not have a Squeezebox Classic to play music to my system)
Bi-amp capability

Now the Denon 4520, Marantz SR7008, Pioneer SC-82 and Yamaha 3030 all fit the bill. That said, I am just not a fan of YPAO, so the Yamaha kinda gets put to the wayside. MCACC on this years models (SC-8x) all have their first revision of sub eq, but dont know if its up to snuff compared to the sub eq that is on the Denon or Marantz unit..

Of the remaining three which would you choose and why? The Denon & Marantz are both are about the same price from Accessories4Less as refurbs, or AVScience as new units, but am having a hard time deciding which to go with. The Pioneer would be purchased new as I dont know of a source for refurb Pioneers.

I am not really looking to buy this item from a private party unless they are a authorized seller as my Integra's warranty saved my rear end multiple times..

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I am aware that Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company and share "similar" internals whatever that means in the actual unit. My wife prefers the look of the Marantz but either is more clean of a look than the Integra I have now.

I am also open to a pure processor provided its got EQ on par with the Marantz/Denon/Pioneer units and is within the same price range as them.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
If user support matters there is more / better support for Denon vs Marantz (and the others too).
Batpig on the other forum should be paid for the level of support he provides. Of course you have to put up with everyone else over there too to communicate with batpig.

The layout of the front panel and color of the panel lights matter to me.
Red is darkened room friendly blue is not (yes it's pretty but blue LED is a terrible color for HT).
I use USB (a lot) so I don't want a giant door open on the front to access it.
Fully functional rear USB (hard drive/iPod) is very desirable to me.
If LAN is not where the AVR will be then I want wifi for firmware updates.
Reliable HDMI switching and a clean repair history is important too.
I am not wrapped around the axle when it comes to room calibration.
Less is probably better in many applications.

·
Registered
384 Posts
FWIW, the 4520 was Denon's top-of-the-line AVR when it came out in 2012. The Marantz unit came out a year later, so it has one or two features not in the 4520 (e.g. it can play stereo PCM in Zone 2, which you don't care about: the 4520 requires analog connections) but doesn't have some others (e.g. the 4520 has very flexible amp assignments).

WAF probably should be taken into account :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If user support matters there is more / better support for Denon vs Marantz (and the others too).
Batpig on the other forum should be paid for the level of support he provides. Of course you have to put up with everyone else over there too to communicate with batpig.
Gotcha, yeah TBH I dont do AVS anymore, wont get into it. Great for information, but the site has gone down since it was purchased and redid their format.

Red is darkened room friendly blue is not (yes it's pretty but blue LED is a terrible color for HT).
I use USB (a lot) so I don't want a giant door open on the front to access it.
Fully functional rear USB (hard drive/iPod) is very desirable to me.
If LAN is not where the AVR will be then I want wifi for firmware updates.
Reliable HDMI switching and a clean repair history is important too.
I am not wrapped around the axle when it comes to room calibration.
Yeah the Room Calibration is a big deal for me. We bought a house and I compromised on my stuff (room layout, etc) for a bigger yard and features for my wife and kid. I'd do it all over again, but leaves me a less than ideal layout needing help beyond just moving speakers.

This is mainly an upgrade for better EQ but I refuse to just by a AVR for better EQ if I dont get some other things to ensure it can grow with me. Thats where the extra HDMI ports and other stuff come in.

No need for the USB since I do all my music networked and have a Squeezebox Classic, WD Live TV and if the AVR is networked I am all good using one of those three.

As long as the LED's are dimmable to some extent their color doesnt matter. I like the White of my Integra, but am OK w Blue (like my APC H15), or other colors.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Marantz front panel's "porthole" light can be turned off or on. It's not otherwise dimmable, though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Marantz front panel's "porthole" light can be turned off or on. It's not otherwise dimmable, though.
Gotcha. Doubt it would be MORE annoying than the Integra's front display which doesnt bother my wife or I at all.

The Denon's is totally dimmable from what I remember.

No clue on Pioneer.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am a believer in Audyssey XT32... and I personally won't own a processor or receiver without it. I have come to really appreciate equalized music listening. I am not sure I would be so critical on movies, other than I at least like my bass equalized. MCACC (newer models with the sub EQ) is not going to be as robust as XT32... it might be closer to XT, but still not sure if it is even that good.

I think all of them have pretty much got the kinks worked out of the HDMI boards now. I haven't seen many issues on those except the older Onkyo/Integra and NAD units.

Have you consider the newest Marantz 7702?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Sonnie, did you sell you Denon? Wouldn't that one be a better future proof model for him? If I remember right, you were offering it at a good discount & you are a Denon dealor.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Dad gum it! That would have been the deal. I kinda figured it wouldn't stay around too long. Kinda like Miss St this coming weekend! But that's a different thread.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this has become moot. My wife car just died and apparently the transmission is shot. So that solves that for the time being.

Oh well, thats life :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.