Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a new AVR to replace my current Onkyo model. I am hoping that your experience and wisdom can help me make an informed decision. Below is a list of my requirements/expectations of the AVR based on priority.

1. Convert all of my input video sources (HDMI, Component, and Analog) to one output for my 50” Plasma TV via HDMI. This will allow much better cable management since I will be mounting the TV on our wall (i.e. one cable to the TV).

2. Power increase from my current AVR (Onkyo TX-SR573). Mainly, I don’t want to be underpowered/limited for future options/expansions.

3. Networking ability for streaming music and updates. However, it’s lower on the list because I can stream from my PS3 if needed.

4. Pre-amp connections – I don’t know if I will ever use it, but based on my reading it’s a good option to have.

My current speakers are a L/R TriTrix kit from Parts Express that I just finished over the holidays. I plan to build a matching center in the spring. I also plan to incorporate a subwoofer of some sort as time and $$ permit. 3D TV is not something that I am considering at all. I am very happy with my 50” Sammy Plasma (720P).

$500 is the upper end of my budget and I plan to purchase something from Accessories4Less sometime this week. My problem is they have several that fit within the price range and I am unsure (besides the obvious) what the differences are. That is where I was hoping that some of you could help me out…

Here is was I was looking at to this point...

TX-SR707 - 349.99 – I know this one doesn’t have networking. I am not sure about the correct up-conversion for my requirements, but the price is much lower than my limit.

HT-RC180 – 399.99

HT-RC270 – 429.99 – I am not sure what the deal is with these HT series AVR. I don’t see many people talking about them.

TX-NR708 - 479.99 – Lower on power than the 807, but it may have more options than I need i.e. 3D

TX-NR807 – 499.99 – This is what I was looking at starting last week, but since then the price has gone up $30. They used to be $469.99. I am worried that this will be too much.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate everyone’s input.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a new AVR to replace my current Onkyo model. I am hoping that your experience and wisdom can help me make an informed decision. Below is a list of my requirements/expectations of the AVR based on priority.

1. Convert all of my input video sources (HDMI, Component, and Analog) to one output for my 50” Plasma TV via HDMI. This will allow much better cable management since I will be mounting the TV on our wall (i.e. one cable to the TV).

2. Power increase from my current AVR (Onkyo TX-SR573). Mainly, I don’t want to be underpowered/limited for future options/expansions.

3. Networking ability for streaming music and updates. However, it’s lower on the list because I can stream from my PS3 if needed.

4. Pre-amp connections – I don’t know if I will ever use it, but based on my reading it’s a good option to have.

My current speakers are a L/R TriTrix kit from Parts Express that I just finished over the holidays. I plan to build a matching center in the spring. I also plan to incorporate a subwoofer of some sort as time and $$ permit. 3D TV is not something that I am considering at all. I am very happy with my 50” Sammy Plasma (720P).

$500 is the upper end of my budget and I plan to purchase something from Accessories4Less sometime this week. My problem is they have several that fit within the price range and I am unsure (besides the obvious) what the differences are. That is where I was hoping that some of you could help me out…

Here is was I was looking at to this point...

TX-SR707 - 349.99 – I know this one doesn’t have networking. I am not sure about the correct up-conversion for my requirements, but the price is much lower than my limit.

HT-RC180 – 399.99

HT-RC270 – 429.99 – I am not sure what the deal is with these HT series AVR. I don’t see many people talking about them.

TX-NR708 - 479.99 – Lower on power than the 807, but it may have more options than I need i.e. 3D

TX-NR807 – 499.99 – This is what I was looking at starting last week, but since then the price has gone up $30. They used to be $469.99. I am worried that this will be too much.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate everyone’s input.

Mike
Mike,
Of those listed, I would go with the 807. I realize that 500 is at the upper range of your budget, but the TX-NR1007:http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...135-watts-Channel-9.2-Network-Receiver/1.html will really take you into another league.

The 1007 weighs over 50 Pounds and as opposed to the others listed, is THX Ultra 2 Plus Certified. Ultra 2 Certification is much more stringent in respect to amplifier power. In addition, the 1007 offers Audyssey's MultEQ XT which is much more powerful than regular MultEQ.

I realize it is 150 Dollars more than what your budget is, but the 1007 really was a classic and the closest thing to a follow up to the TX-SR805 which remains to me the greatest value in the HDMI era. The replacement 1008 is actually decontented no longer meeting THX Ultra 2 Plus Certification, no longer offering MultEQ, and weighing 10 pounds less. It does retail for 200 Dollars less however.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JJ,

I really value and appreciate you and any other taking time to post your thoughts. :T I will certainty take it into consideration. Now, if I could sell some of my old equipment the $$ wouldn’t be so hard to swallow. :yikes:

Best regards,:D
Mike

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Thanks JJ,

I really value and appreciate you and any other taking time to post your thoughts. :T I will certainty take it into consideration. Now, if I could sell some of my old equipment the $$ wouldn’t be so hard to swallow. :yikes:

Best regards,:D
Mike
Mike,
It might be worth listing any equipment you are not using on Craigslist. If you have a number of things to sell, Audiogon is excellent, but I am not a big fan of their new pricing for Listings. If there is anyway possible to come up with the additional funds, with the 1007 the juice is well worth the squeeze.

My youngest brother attended IU for his Undergraduate and Masters Degrees. Bloomington is a wonderful place. While I tried hard to get him to attend UGA as I had, he was going for Informatics which IU has a fantastic Program...
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again JJ,

Craigslist will be a must for my other equipment.

I notice that A4L is listing there is only "one more left" of the 1007's. Do they come back in sock often or are the few and far between?

As for the IU avitar, it a little bit of false advertisment. I grew up in the rule farm fields of Indiana. I never took classes there, but had several High School friends enrolled. I visited as often as possible :innocent: It's a way of life when you grow up in the state...

Later,
Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,

I have a 1007 on order from A4L! After learning they were sold out, I did some searching around. I found a listing on Ebay for a 1007, and much to my surprise it was listed by A4L. I promptly called this morning and they confirmed having one. They were nice enough to remove the listing from Ebay and put it back on the website so I could get a better price for shipping….

This thing totally blew my budget out of the water :dontknow:, but it sounds like it’s a quality piece that should last me several (7+) years down the road! Purchasing an AVR of this caliber really puts me into a whole new ball game. I have a lot to learn! :help:

Thanks for the advice JJ!!!! I think….LOL :R

Later,
Mike

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Mike,
The 1007 really is an excellent AVR and I always find it better to have the lowest Model of the Flagship line (1007, 3007 ,5007) than the highest of the non Flagship line.

More than anything, you are getting a good bit stronger Amplifier Section, THX Ultra 2 Plus, and Audyssey MultEQ XT. The 1007 really engendered a great deal of enthusiasm at its retail price for being an amazing value. At as large of a discount as you got, it is a steal.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just to add to JJ's recommendation, I have had my 1007 for a year now and it has been an incredible performer for me. I have had zero issues with it. I have am Onkyo 603 and a Denon 797 that I was using to run RS450's and I will say that the first time I ever fired up the 1007 there was a major difference in sound that was produced from the RS450's, they seem to be much clearer, the music was more intense with the increase bass and I now tend to listen to 2 channel "Pure Audio" vice 2.1 with this setup and I have dual PBU's. If you have no desire for 3D, I feel this AVR is as good as they for the $$.

Congrats on your purchase....I think I paid 2x or even more then what they are selling for now and I do not regret my purchase one bit.

Ooops, I just went and looked at my older Onk and its a 600 not a 603.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts