Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this technically isn't REW related(Or is it)but you guys have been so much help i wanted to ask here.
My receiver a Yamaha Rxv1800 has ,of course bass and treble settings and swfr level setting but also a lfe output setting.
The fronts are set to small,80 hz xover set at receiver and i have the 2 subs,one for 15-45 hz the other for 45-80 hz.
how do these settings play together?When i run rew in 2 channel mode i would think that im bypassing the lfe level setting,so when i play a blu ray disc with the lfe level how do i know what im getting as far as level?it wouldnt be show in my rew graphs right?
BTW i have bass and treble set to 0db,swfr level is currently at +6db and lfe level is at 0db(its range is 0db to -20db)
Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Dean,

REW doesn't know or care that you're using dual range-specific subs. It will measure the combined output of both. REW will tell show if one is louder or quieter than the other; get their levels adjusted for the best response and you're in business. :T

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne.
As i stated in the other post,im finally "getting close"i just still feel im slightly weak in the 50-80 hz area,for example me and my daughter watched madagascar 2 the other night and there is a scene where a shark jumps on the beach.On the blu ray forum everyone is ranting about the "awesome bass"
during this scene,i didnt notice any thing spectacular here but during another scene that no one mentions,i had impressive bass(the ho,i think)
also with music the kick drum doesnt have that"impact".
what freq area is kick drum bass?
However when i run freq sweeps the levels sound about even all the way around?this is why i thought in 2 channel mode as in when running rew i have it about right but when the lfe channel is added i have something else?

Thanks again Wayne

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
what freq area is kick drum bass?
That depends but the kick you feel in the chest is usually down around 30Hz

The part in the movie you talk about is up in the higher 45Hz range there is lots of information in that area in Madagascar. The part where the really low frequency shark scene is lower at about 20Hz.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

On the blu ray forum everyone is ranting about the "awesome bass"
How do we know if their subs are properly calibrated. :D

As i stated in the other post,im finally "getting close"i just still feel im slightly weak in the 50-80 hz area,for example
Can you post your latest subs and combined graphs?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well then,i need to maybe bump up my house curve a little to get the ho(15-45hz)up a bit.
Thanks.
P.s.the part that was pretty impressive with my current eqing was when they fixed the dam and got the water flowing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
here are my latest measurments.
i am using 2 filters.20.25, -16 ,13 and 26.95, -8, 7.i cant eq down that 55 hz hump.it just wont budge?so i delelted that filter.
everything is smoothed 1/3.
first two are subs only,3rd and 4th are full range
any idea whats going on in the 2k to 3k range?im hoping spl meter shortcomings?

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Use the unsmoothed setting for your sub graphs. The RS meter is only accurate out to about 3 kHz, but it seems like you could have some issues in tha range. You'd have to get set up for full range EQ before you'd know for sure.

Regards,
Wayne
Ok Wayne,
Ill repost tonight with graphs unsmoothed.
I am concerned with that 2-3k hz isuue.ill get a galaxy mic and see what it looks like then,any speculation on what could be going on there?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, okay...
Sub level might be a bit low, but overall everything looks good. :T

Regards,
Wayne
Great!
i turned the Ho up a notch i didnt have time to really listen to it much but i did watch about 15 min of untraceable on directv and it did sound a bit better.Ill try watching something tonight on blu ray and see if i should turn the mbm up a hair.
Thanks Wayne
Dean

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great!
i turned the Ho up a notch i didnt have time to really listen to it much but i did watch about 15 min of untraceable on directv and it did sound a bit better.Ill try watching something tonight on blu ray and see if i should turn the mbm up a hair.
Thanks Wayne
Dean
Hey Wayne,
I notice something last night that may explain why you've secretly asked yourself"why cant this guy get it,with all the help ive given him,he's still not happy with the sound!!!":paddle:it has been the second colossal oversight on my part.First was the dynamic range setting in the avr.This time at some point over the last few months,between taking measurements,tweaking etc.MY TV SPEAKERS GOT TURNED ON!!!:gah:
I dont know how this effects everything,but im sure that it does.I assume the tv speakers wouldnt get a signal when running rew (2 channel mode through avr)but then they would when watching directv?
Anyway,ill rerun ypao and rew over the weekend and see what comes of that.
Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know that this would be a waste of time to most,but would there be any logic for me to hook up my spl meter with rew so that i had the correction file loaded and then run receiver test tones to get my subs blended better with the mains?
I would think that i would 1.turn off the ho(15-45 hz)and get the mbm 12(45-80hz) maybe a few db higher than the mains,then 2.turn the mbm off,ho on and get the ho 6-8 db higher than the mains?im thinking this would make it easier for me to get everything blended together better as i find i cant get this "just right"to my ears looking at the graphs above.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
would there be any logic for me to hook up my spl meter with rew so that i had the correction file loaded and then run receiver test tones to get my subs blended better with the mains?
No, the meter calibration file is not added to a REW response graph until after the measurement is taken.

brucek

1 - 20 of 37 Posts