EQ/Room Trim: Flat
Phase: 0 degrees
Orientation: Woofer facing the mic, horizontal
This is the same unit which was tested last fall

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the same subwoofer that was tested last fall, but since those results caused so many heated debates, I decided to test it again in case I had done some error. Fortunately it wasn't the case. In fact this second time showed a little bit worse performance regarding maximum output (2-3 dB). Since the calibration procedure was identical to the last time, I can't think of any other major influence than the weather. Last fall it was blistering cold (around 5 C) but this time it was very warm (well over 20 C). The Axiom has a very sophisticated DSP circuit which limits the subwoofer's output for example by monitoring the temperature of the voice coil. When adding these two, I believe the difference can be well understood.
The frequency response is rather unique. It is filtered away above 100 Hz and below 20 Hz by very steep filters. The crossover can be set down to 40 Hz. The maximum output breaks the 105 dB barrier only in very narrow range, anywhere else it remains much lower. The overall THD is pretty high, although it's efficiently limited by the DSP circuit. Surprisingly it doesn't sound that bad to a human ear, probably because it consists mainly out of 2nd and 3rd harmonics. Group delay rises pretty high at the lowest frequencies. Spectral decay shows a lot of ringing around both slopes, 20 Hz and 100 Hz. Spectral contamination test shows average maximum output capability with higher than average overall distortion. The enclosure could benefit from thicker baffles and also from extra bracing. The overall build quality is slightly above average.

+ Good extension
+ High mid bass output

- High distortion
- High deep bass group delay and lots of ringing around the slopes
- Somewhat weak enclosure

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Axiom EP-600

Ilkka,
would you be kind enough to share with us the internal pics of the EP600? specifically the driver, etc.... that would be much appreciated! ;)

-Sherv
Sherv,

I don't think we should step on to that road again. There was already enough drama... :rolleyesno:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Axiom EP-600

Sherv,

I don't think we should step on to that road again. There was already enough drama... :rolleyesno:
no need for drama my friend....and don't worry, I don't think those cats will show up anyways...I wanted to take a look at the driver and internal bracing as well, as I'm compiling some notes and never got to save those shots.

if you will be kind enough to email it to me, or PM me, that would be great too....I won't share them if you dont want me too ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.