1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/images/axiom80review.jpg[/img]

Axiom Epic 80 EP800 7.1

For the Full Review: Click Here!

Summary: I think one thing that seems to get lost in other reviews of the Epic 80 and more specifically the M80’s is the lack of any sound colorization. These speakers are extremely neutral sounding which struck me as odd because the woofers are all aluminum. Usually when I hear something such as a Definitive, Klipsch and even some Martin Logan I can hear something that seems to be undoubtedly specific to the brand. Almost like when I hear a Marshall cabinet versus a Mesa-Boogie cabinet, but in Axiom’s case I just don’t hear it. I hear perfectly clear sound, flawless imaging and natural sounding re-production of audio sources.

The Axiom Epic 80 7.1 with the EP800 is absolutely the best sounding set of speakers I have heard in its price range. These aren’t boutique level, but more of an audiophile quality workhorse. Not a Ferrari, but easily a Corvette Z06. I have no qualms about recommending this very setup, and have, to anyone looking to move to the next level from generic box store brands that tout audiophile quality, but don’t adequately deliver. I ended up buying this set from Axiom because once I heard this incredibly dynamic and jaw-dropping setup and could directly compare it to my Definitive Technology setup, there was no way I was sending it back. I would be very curious to hear what Axiom could do if they went ultra-high end in the vein of a Paradigm Signature or Dynaudio however; my bride and bank account sure hope they don’t.

Highly Recommended

For the Full Review: Click Here!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hey Dale, how did you feel about the vertical (and horizontal) sweet spots of these M80s?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely love it! Still brings a smile to my face every time. I'm glad I took your suggestion when I started and threw more power at them, they really came to life at that point!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Nice review, thanks for taking the time, Dale.

That sub sounds like it is a beast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just read your reviews of the Axiom speaker system and wanted to know if you were still using that setup and still happy with them?
I have narrowed my choices down to either the Axiom of Klipsch, but I won't be able to afford the larger sub and will probably get another brand that's not quite as expensive.

Thanks for any response you have.

Rustolem:wave:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still have them and still love the fidelity. I will stress the importance of having enough power to push the 4 ohm load. But yes, that are absolutely phenomenal sounding speakers and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey thanks for the response, after so many forum post I have never seen people so negative against one speaker manufacturer.
I would be running a Yamaha RX-A3000, and would think it would be enough to give them the power they need.
Do you have the M80's set to small in your speaker configuration?
If so how does music sound on 2 channel?

Thanks again,
Rustolem

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi. After reading your review, I decided to buy the epic80. I am a newbie in HT, and I was wondering if you can answer some of my questions.

1. I have onkyo tx-nr709, from your review, my 110 per channel would be suboptimal. And was going to do what you did. Get pair of the crown xls1000 to run the fronts and the center. My first questions is, can I also add the sub to crown amp, since I should have one channel left?

My second question is, on Amazon, one reviewer of crown said this "Crown accepts 1.4 volts input, which Onkyo 809 receiver was unable to provide. Onkyo could only pump out 0.2 volts, which is a shame. So, later I had to buy ART CleanBox Pro to bump up the output level of Onkyo 809. So, anyone interested in running this amp in HT setup must also buy ART CleanBox Pro, otherwise you won't be able to drive it adequately."

Could you explain what this means? And also is it necessary to buy the pro or am I good to go?

I appreciate any help you can provide

Thanks

DL

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think with the 809 you would need the ART PRO and I personally would not use the second channel for the sub on the second XLS1000. I would look into a Dayton sub amp for that.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would need to run RCA connections from the Pre-out directly into the Crown inputs. Then plug the speakers to the speaker terminals on the crown. The Pre-out should be marked on the back of the 709.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the delay, been insanely busy today. The voltage that is being referred to is the voltage the signal coming out of the Onkyo RCA 'pre-out' and the Crown RCA input each require. The Crown requires a stronger signal than the 709 outputs therefore you would want to amplify it using the ART in order to ensure there is no degradation of the signal. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a problem, that's what I am here for. I use an Emotiva XPA 5 myself and it works very well for my needs. I have an Onkyo TX-NR 3007 that I use as the processor.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Axiom went high end. Bryston decided to get into the speaker business. Bryston and Axiom built several models with the Model T being the most expensive starting at $6500. When you look at the Model T you can definitely see it's heritage. If you go on the Bryston web site and look at the Model T they acknowledge Axiom. Initial reports say it's M80v3 on steroids.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
237 Posts
You would think with 95db sensitivity 300 watts would be enough. Maybe the speakers dip below 4 ohms and the amp not liking that. I have the M80v3 driven by 200 watts 4 ohms and I haven't driven the amp into clipping yet.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts